Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th April 2017, 11:17   #1
Billyuk1
Avid contributor

zt saloon 1800cc

Default mg zt petrol fuel sender unit

hi all,
got a problem with my fuel gauge.
1st time i have filled her up and went a ride to wales.
on the way back the fuel gauge got to half and don't move any further towards empty.
if i turn the ignition off the gauge goes to rest.
sounds like a duff sender unit in the tank to me.
my question is is there a write up on how to remove the sender unit from the tank.
am thinking it might be linked to when i fitted the orange clip due to brakedown.

cheers all
Billyuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 13:55   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

There are two float arms (senders) in the tank. Any work done in the area often causes this sort of issue. The floats have to be orientated exactly right so they don't rub/foul anything. The first thing I'd suggest is to measure the rheostat readings with an ohm meter.

To do that, you have to access the top of the pump module under the rear seat on the off side. Under the seat/carpet there's a circular hatch which gives you access. Under there you'll see the pump connector. This diagram shows you the sort of readings to expect.

You may have to test these with the tank reasonably full and then reasonably low. This will tell you if a float arm isn't working right and which one. You can then delve deeper into the mechanicals. There's a HowTo service the float arm rheostats in the Engine & Technical subsection of the HowTo forum.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 7th January 2021 at 11:50.. Reason: Updated resistance data
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 17:41   #3
Billyuk1
Avid contributor

zt saloon 1800cc

thanks for the reply great help.
with a ohm meter i got 149ohms for the n/s and 48 ohms for the o/s which sounds like something is amiss with the n/s
i know i have roughly £15 worth of petrol in the tank.
next step is to take the n/s out and look if something is wrong since i did the orange clip mod due to non start a while back.
will post back with my findings and post some pictures.
thanks again you are a great help.
cheers...
Old 19th April 2017, 09:47   #4
Billyuk1
Avid contributor

zt saloon 1800cc

just a quick update. haven't had time to take the tank units out yet looks like a weekend job.
this is what readings i get using the onboard diagnostic on the dash..
strange readings...

Old 19th April 2017, 10:09   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

There have always been some ambiguities in the Section 6 section. Assuming my interpretation of it is correct, the 6.0 display '--0223' indicates the left side sensor is malfunctioning and 22.3 litres in the RHS. It may be that the left signal is missing completely rather than a stuck float. Did you check the 6.1 and 6.2 displays?

The resistance readings suggest the rheostats are working so it's rather unclear how to interpret it. A physical exam may give more info.

TC
Old 19th April 2017, 11:11   #6
Billyuk1
Avid contributor

zt saloon 1800cc

looks like the dash isn't getting a reading from one side
Old 19th April 2017, 15:32   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Yes it looks that way.
You'll have to check the wiring on the rheostat to ensure nothings been broken off or bent out of shape during the earlier tank work. This Howto might help with the latter: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=194156

TC
Old 19th April 2017, 21:49   #8
Billyuk1
Avid contributor

zt saloon 1800cc

Great big thanks for the link will come in useful.
Won't be doing the job till weekend due to work. But I will post back with pictures of my findings in case its of use to others on the forum.
Thanks again
Billy.
Old 8th September 2020, 02:13   #9
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

There's no point adding another thread to the many concerning this common problem so I've just tacked onto one of the later ones.
Mine recently starting stopping on 3/4 when l filled up (as l always do) then carried on downwards as normal so l had a sort of accurate reading of fuel level & l always zero the trip anyway working on 400 miles (more or less) per tank. When my slave cylinder started playing up a couple of weeks ago l parked her up & when l did so the needle was at the bottom with the fuel light on giving me 100 miles in the tank.
Today l used her for work after successfully squirting some fluid down to the slave cylinder at the weekend, my first stop being the garage to fill up as l had briefly forgotten the gauge problem. Despite filling the tank though, the needle stayed down the bottom & the fuel light on. The needle is still moving down as the fuel is used & l assume it will carry on until it hits the 'stop'. I just did the IPK cluster test (most impressive ) & the gauge travelled it's full range.
So l guess my next stop will be the connector plug down on the tank. I'll just add that the tank hasn't been interfered with since l fitted the orange clip & 'O' ring three or four years ago.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote