Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th November 2020, 16:42   #11
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I really like this pic.--Did you draw it yourself ???---

I do like that pic too.
You can clearly see there will always be water on both levels that doesn't drain out due to the thickness of the rubber flanges. The space is condemned to be damp.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 13:32   #12
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro44 View Post
The existing drain tubes are only part of the problem unfortunately, the rust problem could be solved by removing them, acid treating the metal on both faces of the plenum holes, replacing them with a length of tubing that is fed through both holes to below the sub frame. The top of the tube secured to a short metal pipe that has a flared top face like an upside down top hat with the crown missing. This, sealant fixed, into the plenum floor, would guide water through both parts of the area and down to the ground.
I can see how your idea would work - the problem is how to make the flare on the new metal pipe match this dished rim around the upper hole.

Quote:
I find the biggest problem from water ingress to be what runs down the windscreen corners and is guided between the A post inner and the wing. this is supposed to exit the wheel arch behind the plastic liner. this it does but also deposits crud there making it a potential rust trap. takes much longer to deal with on a regular basis than rodding the plenum drain tubes.
I know what you mean - mine look like rivers of mud. Here's the RH side - most of the mud/water is bypassing the outer drain tube and going straight down to the floor underneath the servo.

(Those yellow things are the sockets for the 3 screws which secure the mini plastic bulkhead thingy on LHD cars. The absence of a bulkhead make the drainage situation even worse on this side.)

Water also gets under the rubber strip that runs all the way along the scuttle panel trim - then it collects in the metal channel below the bottom edge of the glass. Presumably it's supposed to run off into the corners.

Yesterday I sanded away the rust on the lower chamber holes (both sides) and repainted the metal. The holes are just wide enough to get one latex-gloved finger in and use it as a paint brush!

I was going to do the LH upper chamber hole today but it's raining again. The RH one (under the servo) might be reachable if I take the closing panel off, preferably without wrecking the soundproofing to get at the screws.

Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 16:48   #13
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

WOW, you are really going to town on this. I have seen a fitting somewhere that I think would serve the purpose as the top of the pipe and drop into the top plenum hole. Trouble is I dont remember where I saw it, senior moments again unfortunately. I will rake through the little grey cells and try to post a pic when found.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2020, 09:12   #14
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

I wish that was the amount of rust that was attacking my P5B when l bought her at fifteen years old (the car, not me).

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2020, 09:48   #15
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
I know what you mean - mine look like rivers of mud. Here's the RH side - most of the mud/water is bypassing the outer drain tube and going straight down to the floor underneath the servo.

....../
That's one of the reasons I clean those areas each time the car gets washed. Once they're clean, subsequent maintenance is so much easier. I use a blower to dry the area after (one of these, but a leaf blower will do) and it's amazing how much water comes out of all the little nooks and crannies.

By the way, while you're in there, the wiper linkages come up lovely with a bit of fine wire wool and Brasso. A tip passed on to me by member Nobby .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2020, 10:00   #16
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
... I have seen a fitting somewhere that I think would serve the purpose as the top of the pipe and drop into the top plenum hole. Trouble is I dont remember where I saw it, senior moments again unfortunately. I will rake through the little grey cells and try to post a pic when found.
Keep looking for it - I'd be interested in seeing anything that does a better job than those pesky rubber tubes.
Old 21st November 2020, 10:09   #17
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
That's one of the reasons I clean those areas each time the car gets washed. Once they're clean, subsequent maintenance is so much easier. I use a blower to dry the area after (one of these, but a leaf blower will do) and it's amazing how much water comes out of all the little nooks and crannies.
It looks lovely and clean on the LH side there Cliff. What about the RH side though - have you seen under the servo? There's a lot of soil wedged at the top of the tube on mine.

Quote:
By the way, while you're in there, the wiper linkages come up lovely with a bit of fine wire wool and Brasso. A tip passed on to me by member Nobby .

Cliff
I'll remember that one and give it a try.
Old 21st November 2020, 10:16   #18
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
.... one of these, ....
£120 - crikey, it's a bit pricey. My leaf blower was less than half of that.
Old 21st November 2020, 10:43   #19
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
It looks lovely and clean on the LH side there Cliff. What about the RH side though - have you seen under the servo? There's a lot of soil wedged at the top of the tube on mine........
The RH side is pretty much the same, though I had a distinct advantage in getting the car when it was only 3 yrs old, so it was much easier to prevent a build up to start with.

Quote:
£120 - crikey, it's a bit pricey. My leaf blower was less than half of that.
Boys toys ! I also have a leaf blower - a real cheapy I bought from Homebase for £25 as a backup. I shortened the "funnel" to make it a little less unwieldy, and in all honesty it does the job just fine. Perhaps just a bit more awkward in some of the tighter areas, but no real problem .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2020, 11:07   #20
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Default RH hole

Finally got a glimpse of the RH drain hole. It's just visible if the scuttle & wiper assembly are off, but only by leaning right in over the LH wing and peering between the various pipes etc. Here it is lurking under the servo.

The servo is the big out of focus thing with ribs on it. Note the dry mud trail down to the hole (and that's after I'd hooked/dragged most of it out with a bent stick).