Notices

Old 14th March 2021, 19:30   #21
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick91 View Post
Would you like it if you went to the pub for a few and got mugged on the way home and the only advice from the police was to curtail your drinking habits? People get drunk sometimes, I expect we've all been there. From everything I can gather this woman hadn't been out drinking.

This comes back to the old "If a bloke walks down a dark alley wearing loads of gold and gets mugged, then it's his fault". The thing is, it isn't the victims fault. It's the fault of the attacker/rapist/mugger. They are the person that committed the crime. With that said, the world is undoubtedly a nasty place and people need to use their loaf.

In this case it seems that Sarah Everard was doing everything that was advised to her (not listening to headphones whilst walking, called someone shortly before the attack to let them know where she was). That's one of the reasons why people are so upset. The answer can't be to tell women not to go out at night, what about all of the nurses sticking needles into arms as we speak and working 48hr days?

Nor is the answer, the ridiculous statement that I've heard in the media for the last few years, that we should "teach men not to rape". You don't teach a rapist anything, you lock them away for as long as their miserable lives will allow. I don't see the woke brigade reducing levels of rape to any serious extent, rapists are rapists and should be behind bars.

The answer has to be better policing in my view.
With modern forensic science and d n a etc,it would be difficult to get the wrong man. So my suggestion would be bring back capital punishment for murder and whole of life or rape or manslaughter,no parole for rapists, they die in jail. A harsher deterrent may make them think twice.
Old 14th March 2021, 19:35   #22
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
With modern forensic science and d n a etc,it would be difficult to get the wrong man. So my suggestion would be bring back capital punishment for murder and whole of life or rape or manslaughter,no parole for rapists, they die in jail. A harsher deterrent may make them think twice.
Not arguing with that but you'd have the civil liberties brigade up in arms.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 07:06   #23
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick91 View Post
Would you like it if you went to the pub for a few and got mugged on the way home and the only advice from the police was to curtail your drinking habits? People get drunk sometimes, I expect we've all been there. From everything I can gather this woman hadn't been out drinking.

This comes back to the old "If a bloke walks down a dark alley wearing loads of gold and gets mugged, then it's his fault". The thing is, it isn't the victims fault. It's the fault of the attacker/rapist/mugger. They are the person that committed the crime. With that said, the world is undoubtedly a nasty place and people need to use their loaf.

In this case it seems that Sarah Everard was doing everything that was advised to her (not listening to headphones whilst walking, called someone shortly before the attack to let them know where she was). That's one of the reasons why people are so upset. The answer can't be to tell women not to go out at night, what about all of the nurses sticking needles into arms as we speak and working 48hr days?

Nor is the answer, the ridiculous statement that I've heard in the media for the last few years, that we should "teach men not to rape". You don't teach a rapist anything, you lock them away for as long as their miserable lives will allow. I don't see the woke brigade reducing levels of rape to any serious extent, rapists are rapists and should be behind bars.

The answer has to be better policing in my view.
I wish you had also quoted the part where I said " I have no idea how you can keep a woman's freedom to go where she wants with keeping them safe"

As for locking a rapist up, that's after they have been convicted for a crime, you want to stop the crime from happening.

You say "The answer has to be better policing in my view" can you go on to explain what that is?

I am not saying it is a woman's fault, it is as you say, the "perpetrators" fault.

You also say "With that said, the world is undoubtedly a nasty place and people need to use their loaf." So are you saying that woman need to take more care, responsibility for their safety and well being? If you are then to a point we are back to your first paragraph. That just shows how difficult it is, if you tell women to take more responsibility that is very close to saying at times it is their fault?

A major problem is getting a conviction for crime. Even with video and DNA it is not always possible to secure a conviction, not even to get it to court.
I watched a program where a few rape victims went public. They showed CCTV footage of the woman and her attacker, she was all over him. Was it affection or had she been drugged or was drunk, it kind of does not matter the defence show that to the jury. Seaman samples, ya so what? All that proves is sex took place. The program advised there were no court proceedings for any of the rapes feature.

The question remains, how do you keep women safe?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 09:44   #24
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The question shouldn’t be ‘how to keep women safe’

It should be ‘how to keep all members of society safe’
Old 15th March 2021, 18:14   #25
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The program gave percentage attacks on both men and women. ( not necessarily rape. ) The attacks on men outnumbered the attacks on women by 100% )----

Sending the rapists to jail may not get the intended results as apparently rape is prevalent in jail.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 20:07   #26
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default But.

This is once again a murder of a young woman who should have been safe, I'm a bit disturbed by the people who have adopted this as a reason to protest. I'm fairly certain that her family don't need her to be used in this way when they are grieving for her loss.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 20:27   #27
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
This is once again a murder of a young woman who should have been safe, I'm a bit disturbed by the people who have adopted this as a reason to protest. I'm fairly certain that her family don't need her to be used in this way when they are grieving for her loss.
I completely agree. Her tragic death has been hijacked by protest groups using it as an excuse to cause unrest.Very similar infact to the way the death of George Floyd in the US was seen as an opportunity to further the cause of those with altogether different agenda.
Many women have unfortunately died at the hands of violent men as have civilians died in police custody.Why have these two cases in particular sparked protests?

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote