Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th January 2021, 21:21   #31
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

This particular update in the MOT test criteria which you've all been referring to in this thread is on the section regarding DIPPED BEAMS and MAIN BEAMS only.

The section in reference is: 4.1. Headlamps

Sub sections:
4.1.1. Presence, condition and operation
4.1.2. Headlamp alignment
4.1.3. Switching
4.1.4. Compliance with requirements
4.1.5. Levelling devices
4.1.6. Headlamp cleaning devices

If you read these sections on the government website here you'll see these sections refer to dipped beams and main beams testing only such as beam pattern, the colour of the light emitted, headlamp washers and self levelling, and also the general condition of the headlamps:https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...ical-equipment

The new MOT update does not affect sidelights or DRLs. Sidelights and DRLs are covered by a different section 4.2. Front and rear position lamps, daytime running lamps and end-outline marker lamps and there is no mention of LED bulbs in this section. Therefore LED sidelights, tail light bulbs and number plate bulbs is not a MOT failure under the new rules nor are DRLs. DRLs are only testable on cars first registered on 1 March 2018 so retrofitted DRLs on our cars or factory fitted DRLs on cars before 1 March 2018 are not a testable item. This change also doesn't affect LED side repeaters, reverse lights, brake lights etc.

The reason for this change is due to these new fan type LED dipped beam bulbs that have been available for the last couple of years like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-...Cclp%3A2334524. I've personally never tested them so can't comment on how good the beam pattern or light output is, but do know of a couple who have them fitted to their halogen projector headlamps without any issues and good beam pattern output.

The problem is with these LED bulbs (and the same problem with HID kits) is they are designed to be used with projector headlamps only, but you get idiots fitting them to halogen reflectors which causes a tonne of glare and blinds the hell out of oncoming cars. HID kits and LED bulbs fitted to halogen reflector headlamps don't give the correct beam pattern either.

Can't comment on LED bulbs as I've not tested them, but HID kits fitted to halogen projector headlamps were perfectly fine in terms of beam pattern and DID NOT blind oncoming cars. I done a post on here a few years ago with photos comparing the light output from a factory 75/zt xenon projector with a D2S burner and a factory 75/zt halogen projector lamp with a H7 HID kit and the beam pattern results was identical. Hence why they passed MOTs fine and still pass MOT's if the HID kit goes unnoticed by the MOT tester as they meet beam pattern and light output requirements (only when fitted to projector lenses).

But rather than applying any logic, they introduced a blanket ban on HID kits a few years ago and this has now extended to LED dipped beam bulbs, rather than failing those who installed them to the wrong type of headlamp (i.e. halogen reflectors).

Now how does this work in practice, well the MOT tester is not allowed to remove any covers, caps etc to inspect what type of bulbs you are running in your dipped beams and main beams. Therefore, you will only fail if the MOT tester can clearly see you've fitted LED bulbs (same goes for HID kits). Which actually makes this change in the MOT test handbook rather pointless for those with LED Bulbs fitted to their halogen projector dipped beams because unless the bulb access cover has been left off and you can physically see what bulb has been fitted via the back of the headlight you can't physically see them. Unlike HID kits, the LED bulbs don't have ballasts and wiring hanging out the back of the headlamps.

The only time a car could fail under this new update is if you've installed these LED bulbs to the reflector main beams on halogen projector or xenon projector headlamps on our 75's and ZT's for example as you can physically see the bulb through the headlight, or other vehicle reflector style headlamps where you can physically see the bulb in the reflector. Vehicles with these LED bulbs fitted to dipped beams on halogen reflector style headlamps I believe would fail under section 4.1.2. Headlamp alignment anyway as I don't believe they'll achieve a satisfactory beam pattern as they're not designed for halogen reflector lamps.

so to summarise:

- LED bulb in halogen dipped beam or main beam housing = fail IF it can be physically seen by the MOT tester.
- HID kit fitted to a halogen dipped beam or main beam housing = fail IF it can be physically seen by the MOT tester (this has been the case since 2016)
- LED sidelights = fine
- LED DRLS = fine
- LED side repeaters, reverse lights, tail lights, brake lights etc = fine.

This change shouldn't really affect many on here as I don't think many members on here have fitted these fan style LED dipped beam or main beam bulbs.

To be honest I don't think this will cause much change, as HID kits fitted to halogen headlamps has been a MOT failure since 2016 but as I do custom headlights I get chatting to a wide range of car owners on facebook/instagram etc and there are still 100's of cars fitted with HID kits that still pass an MOT every year as they go unnoticed. Many owners I've chatted to about this weren't even aware that HID kits had been a MOT failure for about 3 and a half years now.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2021, 21:38   #32
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

just to clarify some points in regards to DRLs mentioned on here.

DRLs are usually set up to turn off when the dipped beams are switched on, but this is not a requirement and some cars are set up to have them on all the time, but usually they dim down and work as sidelights/position lamps when the dipped beams are switched on. Many audi's with the signature audi style strip DRL headlights are set up this way.

In regards to OEM DRLs being blinding at night, there is only 1 vehicle I can think of with this problem which has bright xenon white LED triangular shape DRLs (with the triangles pointing inwards on either side of the grill) which stays on full brightness with the headlights on. I thought it was a earlier Nissan qashqai but can't find any pics of the particular DRLs online so must be a different SUV. Other than that I can think of any other car that has DRLs which are blindingly bright at night, and I'm always looking at DRLs for ideas.

The only other time DRLs are blindingly bright at night is when driver's forget to switch their headlamps on at night. I see this quite regularly. This is because pretty much all cars now have permanently lit dash boards and only have a little indicator on the dash to tell when you've switched your headlights on, unlike on our cars when it's obvious you haven't switched your headlights on as nothing on the dash lights up being the big giveaway. Careless but I can see how that mistake happens on modern cars.

Pretty much all the DRLs I offer are set up to either turn off or dim down with the sidelights on dipped beams. I do get some requests to leave them on all the time, but to be honest none of the halo rings/DRL strips etc I offer are really that intensely bright that they'd blind you at night.

Last edited by Rick-sta; 18th January 2021 at 14:19..
Old 18th January 2021, 16:30   #33
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I've replaced my original indicator bulbs with combined DRL / indicators. The DRLs are on with the ignition in position 1 and switch off when the indicators come on (the opposite DRL stays on) both go out with the hazards on. The DRLs go out with dipped and full headlights but stay on with side lights. I believe that this is all legit and will not result in a fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Direct from my online testing manual.

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

So Yes it would be a fail, our VOSA guy told me a few days ago that they are going to get tough on conversions.

Hope that helps
Mick
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 10:55   #34
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty2 View Post
I've replaced my original indicator bulbs with combined DRL / indicators. The DRLs are on with the ignition in position 1 and switch off when the indicators come on (the opposite DRL stays on) both go out with the hazards on. The DRLs go out with dipped and full headlights but stay on with side lights. I believe that this is all legit and will not result in a fail.
Yes that's correct. Many newer cars have left the factory with the exact same set up
Old 20th January 2021, 11:57   #35
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Something's been niggling me concering all this and I have for a couple of years now, been considering the use of screw-in projector modules/inserts to convert the main beam lamps into projector HIDs. I have the modules and I have a set of spare projector lamps. The modules are something like these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-2-5-...gAAOSwe0BeQmRl

This modification is clearly a 'conversion' of a filament bulb reflector into a projector HID (or maybe LED) via a different route. While this may well fit within the broad requirement that HID burners must be fitted only to a projector style housing and an LED would be out of sight, I'm worried about the mechanics of it. The projector inserts are positioned manually into the original bulb holder and held in place with a simple backing nut. Doing this isn't quite the same as inserting a bulb. The modules are considerably bigger/heavier than a filament bulb and you can't guarantee they're aimed correctly. Should I fit them and measure the beam cut-off heights and hope for the best? Or is the only way I can ensure they're OK, is to have them tested in the MOT? My gut tells me there's little chance this approach will comply with the new rules.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 18:32   #36
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi David. Can I get another pair of Viz motors from you please? Thanks, David
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2021, 05:40   #37
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Smile

For what it's worth, the DVSA have now amended the regulations so vehicles registered before April 1986 will not automatically fail for having LED bulbs fitted in halogen headlamps.

Last edited by MarkS; 21st March 2021 at 05:43..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2021, 21:08   #38
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

New special notice released in the last few days.....

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 10:33   #39
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
For what it's worth, the DVSA have now amended the regulations so vehicles registered before April 1986 will not automatically fail for having LED bulbs fitted in halogen headlamps.
Yes that's correct which is pretty much all that's been updated in the recent special notice. Other than that as far as I can see nothing has changed since the the update regarding LED dipped beam bulbs now being a MOT failure in January .

See special notice in attachments below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mot.jpg (52.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:12   #40
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Yes that's correct which is pretty much all that's been updated in the recent special notice. Other than that as far as I can see nothing has changed since the the update regarding LED dipped beam bulbs now being a MOT failure in January .

See special notice in attachments below.

That's brilliant news for older vehicles.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote