Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st April 2021, 08:16   #1
The Tall man

MG ZT

Thumbs up door locks.

Hi everyone. I've recently joined the club after buying a MG ZT cdti 2003 model in le mans green. I've always loved the look of the MG so when this one came along I jumped at the chance. It is my intention just to use it now and again through the summer and leave it in the garage over the winter. The mileage says 97k there's no service record which is a shame, but looking through the old MOT'S it looks real. there's lots I would like to do to it to bring it up to a good standard but cant afford to go mad. this site is excellent for information and idea's and help. Seems like a big family so I'm pleased to be joining up. Back to my car. the bodywork seems in really good condition and the engine is great, first impressions it feels like the engine could be tweeked a bit to give a wee bit more power but it runs really well. The front seats need reupholstered as they are a bit worn, so going to look in to that, they are alcantara. Only other thing that needs done is that the key fob works no problem all door open and lock, however different story when you use the key, the key will lock the doors but wont open them so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance, I hope when things get back to normal I can come to one of your meet ups and see what's out there. Cheers for now. Alex.

Last edited by The Tall man; 1st April 2021 at 08:20..
The Tall man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 09:01   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Welcome to the forum Alex

Bit of an unusual one that one, usually it is the remote locking that fails.
Just to be clear you are saying that pressing the button on the remote or centre console locks and unlocks all doors?
When you use the key in the door it locks all the doors but will not unlock any of them?

If the above is true then my first point of call would be the two way cable that connects the key mechanism to the door mechanism. This is a cable fitted in a loop type arrangement one side pulls to lock and when turned the other way the other side pulls to unlock, it is possible one of the sides of the cable has failed.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 1st April 2021 at 14:14..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 10:10   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Welcome along, Gretna is always a good meet, there is usually a T4 operator in attendance to check your altar over and if you fancy a 169 upgrade that can be done too.
Old 1st April 2021, 11:10   #4
The Tall man

MG ZT

Default Door locks.

Thanks guy's, yes just to confirm, my fob works perfectly, but when you use the key it will lock but not unlock. I will have a look at the door mechanism and see what's what and let you know what I find.

Thanks. Alex
The Tall man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 14:14   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
if you fancy a 169 upgrade that can be done too.

Ooooo missus

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2021, 18:02   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Ooooo missus

Sausage fingers! Should have said 160, there are other bespoke remaps if you want to go for all out power.
Old 1st April 2021, 19:39   #7
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Welcome to the Club Alex, you will find it informative and entertaining, same as the meets.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote