Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th April 2021, 13:59   #21
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
I do know someone who says their Rabbit needs batteries
Don't forget the dolphins.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2021, 07:09   #22
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

So CO2 is somehow a pollutant. And yet all plants photosynthesise taking in CO2, combining it with water to produce carbohydrates that we can eat and Oxygen that we breath.

6CO2 + 6H20 = via photosynthesis C6H12O6 + O2

Something I alway find fascinating is that Chlorophyll in plants that enables photosynthesis is that it is the same molecule as our Haemoglobin - the only difference is that our haemoglobin that enables us to transport O2 to our organs and CO2 away from them, has an iron (Fe) atom held in the centre whilst the Chlorophyll molecule has an atom of Magnesium (Mg)

The irony of this to owners of MG cars should not be overlooked !!

But on a serious note - the climate change zealots do not like it when you point out that “Yes! CO2 levels have increased a bit of late - but whilst 400ppm up from, say 390ppm sound scary - expressing this level as a percentage of CO2 in our atmosphere puts it in a different perspective 0.04% up from 0.039% seems to calm things down a tad.

Them we have past levels of CO2 - circa 400ppm (parts per million) is at the low end of historical CO2 levels, which have been as high as 7000ppm and yet life flourished abundantly.

And if you look back over graphs of Geological Timescale and Concentration of CO2 and Temperature record - it becomes clear that there is no correlation at all between the two.

My hobby horse is the demonisation of CO2 leads to badly flawed decisions. Like promoting diesel cars because they have lower CO2 than petrol/LPG cars but ignoring all the particulates and NOX’s that diesels produce.

Let’s not mince words here! - the Green Talibans ideology that put diesels on our urban streets has killed people.

Equally bad is the deforestation so that palm oil can be produced so we can run our diesels on bio-fuel. This ignores the grubbing up of huge swathes of rain forest that is home to the likes of the Orangutan - and this was deemed acceptable to the Greens as we in the west had to virtue signal to the world just what we would do to our world in order to meet a green target.

NASA has now shown that slightly higher CO2 has helped the green the planet via increased plant biomas.

Without CO2 we would all be dead.

The world is actually in a period of low CO2 levels as proved by the fact that Market Gardeners pump CO2 into their greenhouses to increase yield.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2021, 14:35   #23
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

It's not an opinion. It's a strong consensus based on careful observation, measurement and modelling. And it's got me very worried for the future wellbeing of our kids and grandchildren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonboy View Post
In the era of the supposed climate change emergency Science and scientists imo have been partisan and somewhat zealous in their determination to prove their case. I fully respect your opinion but mine remains unchanged.
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2021, 15:14   #24
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
So CO2 is somehow a pollutant. And yet all plants photosynthesise taking in CO2, combining it with water to produce carbohydrates that we can eat and Oxygen that we breath.

Of course it's not a pollutant. It's essential to life on earth as you point out!

Quote:
Something I alway find fascinating is that Chlorophyll in plants that enables photosynthesis is that it is the same molecule as our Haemoglobin - the only difference is that our haemoglobin that enables us to transport O2 to our organs and CO2 away from them, has an iron (Fe) atom held in the centre whilst the Chlorophyll molecule has an atom of Magnesium (Mg)

Quote:
But on a serious note - the climate change zealots do not like it when you point out that “Yes! CO2 levels have increased a bit of late - but whilst 400ppm up from, say 390ppm sound scary - expressing this level as a percentage of CO2 in our atmosphere puts it in a different perspective 0.04% up from 0.039% seems to calm things down a tad.

Them we have past levels of CO2 - circa 400ppm (parts per million) is at the low end of historical CO2 levels, which have been as high as 7000ppm and yet life flourished abundantly.

And if you look back over graphs of Geological Timescale and Concentration of CO2 and Temperature record - it becomes clear that there is no correlation at all between the two.
That's simply untrue! There is a clear relationship between CO2 conc in the atmosphere and temperature. The Earth was at least 6°C warmer on average in the early Carboniferous when the gas was more abundant than it is today. Indeed, it was partly green plants' ability to absorb CO2 coupled with rapid global forestation that reduced conc sufficiently to bring temperatures down. And CO2 conc isn't related to whether life is sustainable or not, just to what kind of an environment it has to live in. CO2 levels were higher in the Jurassic and life thrived. But sea levels were also much higher and ecosystems were radically different.

Quote:
My hobby horse is the demonisation of CO2 leads to badly flawed decisions. Like promoting diesel cars because they have lower CO2 than petrol/LPG cars but ignoring all the particulates and NOX’s that diesels produce.
Agree!

Quote:
Let’s not mince words here! - the Green Talibans ideology that put diesels on our urban streets has killed people.
Or rather allowing motor manufacturers to switch to diesel without them warning about the consequences of doing so. And even cheating when they were forced to!

Quote:
Equally bad is the deforestation so that palm oil can be produced so we can run our diesels on bio-fuel. This ignores the grubbing up of huge swathes of rain forest that is home to the likes of the Orangutan - and this was deemed acceptable to the Greens as we in the west had to virtue signal to the world just what we would do to our world in order to meet a green target.
Absolutely agree with you about the palm oil, but to give them their due, Greens have argued against palm oil plantations precisely because they recognise that biofuels are not the answer to the problem.

Quote:
NASA has now shown that slightly higher CO2 has helped the green the planet via increased plant biomas.
But not sufficiently to change the climate model predictions.

Quote:

The world is actually in a period of low CO2 levels as proved by the fact that Market Gardeners pump CO2 into their greenhouses to increase yield.
CO2 is indeed essential to life, but if we want to live on a planet that is habitable for us under conditions that are similar to those we have today, then its conc must be brought under control!
Old 5th May 2021, 16:44   #25
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

My children and their childrens children are are more likely to die as a result of over population, with the murder and mayhem that will bring than any of the climate change problems?? Chris. S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2021, 21:46   #26
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Man invented the steam engine 400 odd years ago, we have been driving cars in any volume for about 100 years and aircraft in any decent volume for about 60 years.

We will have little or no oil left in another 50 years and apart from China I expect the rest of the world is unlikely to go back to using coal in any volume.

As the amount of oil left reduces its cost will only go one way and this is probably going to be the biggest factor on us switching to other forms of energy.

What ever form this new energy takes weather it be electric/ hydrogen/synthetic or something that has not been invented yet my guess what we consider normal activity now is probably going to be very different in another 50 years. Air travel is unlikely to be as cheap, will classic car use be restricted because of the pollution or lack of the fuel to power them?

As much as our grandchildren are likely to be critical of us when we are gone because of how we behaved there lives are unlikely to be as free and exciting as ours have been. Will our grandchildren know what a V8 or a 2 stroke sounds like?

In another 100 years the world will be very over populated and the problem will be keeping its population fed and watered and this could be a reason for another major conflict either between nations or globally.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2021, 10:48   #27
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Dont worry to much. We are all likely to die of radiation poisoning before co2 gets you. Have a read about samples of ice taken at the poles, north and south. It proves there is no correlation between co2 and global warming. In fact it is the other way.See,they told us we were entering another mini ice age in the 50/60s. By the way, the moon is made of cheese. I know I have had a piece of it, honest.
Old 6th May 2021, 13:00   #28
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
My children and their childrens children are are more likely to die as a result of over population, with the murder and mayhem that will bring than any of the climate change problems?? Chris. S.
Climate change will only exacerbate these problems.
Old 6th May 2021, 14:39   #29
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:

All this hyped up info? On diesels, is just that,hyped. I worked in a diesel smoke laden .environment for around 40 years. I should have been dead years ago according to so called facts. Did you know that if you live in Cornwall, you stand a chance of dying with Radon poisoning? It is given off by. The rocks in Cornwall. It is recommended that you should leave the doors and windows open all the time so that the gas can escape to the outside?? Now there is an anomaly in itself.