Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th May 2021, 16:51   #1
roverbeast75
Avid contributor

rover 75

Default rover 45 1.4 things to look out for?

So apparently my dad bought a rover 45 1.4 petrol. It currently has 21.000 miles.

Now I warned him about the common head gasket issue but I want to know what else is there to look out for, other common issues etc

and also which intervals u recommend for oil and other fluids?

the car has just been serviced along with new cambelt (it has not had a head gasket replacement as of yet)
roverbeast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2021, 19:18   #2
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Good buy. Just drive and service i.a.w. a Rover/ Haynes servicing schedule. Main service annually and the usual weekly checks and top ups if required. It doesn't sound like you will do a mileage that will require more frequent services. Only worry about the HG if it starts consuming coolant.
Old 26th May 2021, 19:36   #3
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

If oval remote fob, watch our for failing relays in the body control unit . Symptoms, horn, windows washer , central locking issues. A really cheap fix so don’t stress. I have found some unscrupulous people rather than replace the relay try and bypass the BCU with all sorts of poor wiring.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2021, 20:24   #4
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

The Rover 45 was derived from the Honda Civic so most of the under chassis parts where Honda designed .
Engine wise there is really no difference to the R75 1.8 in terms of problems or issues . Servicing is also similar to the R75 1.8
Depending upon age think it was during late 2003 , Pektron electronic was used within the car with potential for causing problems such as lovel has highlighted
Suspension wise the R45 seems less problematic than the R75 for bushes ,control arms, drop links and springs etc. It achilleas heel appears be the trailing arm pivot bush , but they are readily available
Weaknesses appear to be the underbody if not kept on top of, as the R45 has not got the body protection of the R75. They are prone to rust and rot at certain points on the chassis front and back particularly around the front subframe mounts to the front jacking points , Also the fuel tank is steel so that has the potential to rot and are difficult to obtain
My own R45 is painted and waxed underneath, to preserve it longer

Driving wise they have a lighter feel than aa R75 but actually appear to handle better.
A low mileage car has the potential to give you many miles of happy motoring , Enjoy the car

Last edited by TourerSteve; 26th May 2021 at 20:30..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2021, 21:36   #5
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I have had a 1.8K series facelift 45 as my daily since 2012.It's been ultra reliable barring 2 HG's one of which was changed when I first bought it and also changed one of the 2 cat's.
It's been used for my work so needed to be dependable. I can't praise it highly enough.Great spec,excellent handling and being a hatchback very practical.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2021, 22:10   #6
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Congratulations on the 45 - I had a diesel one before the 75 and absolutely loved it. I still miss driving it as it was so nippy and sure-footed.

Brake lines corroded on mine enough to fail an MoT (after about 70k miles) and by the time I sold it, the front suspension components were beginning to look a bit too rusty for my liking - I wasn't looking forward to having to get them apart to replace the next thing that would be required for MoT, whatever that might be.

The floor - particularly at the front, was beginning to corrode and look ugly. With that low mileage car I would definitely get under it and get some protection on it.

Another thing that plagued the car until I sorted it was the air bag light which kept coming on. The fix was to undo the yellow connectors under the front seats, clean the pins with a bit of 1200 grit wet and dry paper and then smear the whole connector with vaseline. They never caused any trouble after that.

Can't think of much else really - it was a great car.
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote