Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th April 2010, 22:35   #1
Leander
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 02, Connoisseur SE in Royal Blue Pearlescent + XPower Upgrade & Synergy 2

Default Jaguar X-type - the aesthetically challenged man's Rover!

Today I happened to park my 75 Tourer Mk1 right next to a Jaguar X-type estate, 04 reg.

The Jaguar estate was a car I briefly considered before going for the Rover.

Seeing them side by side, to be frank, it was like class and rags - the 75 looked better - to my eye at least - from every single angle.

Call it post decision self-justification if you will, but there wasn't one feature of the design on the Jaguar that I preferred. I looked inside too, and that was no better - yes, it had a wooden steering wheel, but the wood trim looked out of place on the otherwise very modern wheel.

To call the the Rover a "poor man's Jag" due to it being a few thousand cheaper when new is ridiculous.

I'm wondering if any members have owned both, and can shed more light on on a comparison between the two cars.

Cheers
Leander
Leander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 01:15   #2
mimbo
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 216 Coupe

I considered buying a Jag before the 75

But the running costs on the Jag was out of it for me

The 75 is far better looking and cheaper than owning the Jag

My father has just brought a Jag the same year as my 75, The Jag has a lot less chrome than the 75 and I perfer the 75 to look at, Even the inside is very basic Its a V6 2.5 as well, Same tax as I pay

Suppose after he has the first service, He might change his mind

A 75 is a class of it own and you can never compare it with a Jag

P.James (Member 6589 ) Nuts about the 75
mimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 01:47   #3
south bank
Avid contributor

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE Saloon (Pre-Facelift)

I too considered a Jag before the 75.

Being so tall, the X type was never an option as any position in which I could drive the car rendered the back off side door redundant. To add to the misery, the dashboard felt quite low and the whole car felt narrow. It's a silly little car really and a pity, because I quite liked the idea of owning a 4 wheel drive sports saloon.

Unfortunatly the S-type is one of those cars that only really looks good from underneath. Nice idea coining the MK 2 Jag; it's just a pity it looks like someone described it over the phone to a man to who'd never seen one.

Maybe a bit harsh as some variants manage to look inoffensive, the sports grilled versions for example, and later facelift models, however the running and maintenance costs for use as an every day car put me off just as much as the looks. I'd have been paying far more money for a worse product. Even the interior is worse.

Available tech and ride may have been quite similar but I'm not enough of a badge chaser for that to compensate all the downfalls. Especially compared to what a 75 offers.

The later shape XJ is acceptable though, besides the running costs and the fact that it's too long to park anywhere of course.
south bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 05:34   #4
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

I like the look of the X Type but have never driven one, nor even sat in one for that matter.I also think the S Type looks quite nice but for some reason I think the grill has been put on upside down.

The MkI 75 is something else though.
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 06:04   #5
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by south bank View Post
Available tech and ride may have been quite similar but I'm not enough of a badge chaser for that to compensate all the downfalls. Especially compared to what a 75 offers.
Surely, the 'badge' is Ford since the X Type is a tarted up Mondeo

Unfortunately for you lot, we are now stuck behind a broken train. We'll be here for quite a while but I don't care, I'm now on overtime.
London tube train announcement
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 07:32   #6
stux99
Posted a thing or two

MG3/TF Spark/ MGTF Steppy/ MG GS

We had a X-Type 3.0 SE auto saloon a few years ago and absolutely loved it.
Downside was running costs, we needed to get an estate and at the time an auto oil burner wasnt an option with Jag so thats when "we" decided a ZT-T was the best option, never looked back
Old 10th April 2010, 09:37   #7
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT & V6 saloons in Wedgwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
Today I happened to park my 75 Tourer Mk1 right next to a Jaguar X-type estate, 04 reg.

The Jaguar estate was a car I briefly considered before going for the Rover.

Seeing them side by side, to be frank, it was like class and rags - the 75 looked better - to my eye at least - from every single angle.

I'm wondering if any members have owned both, and can shed more light on on a comparison between the two cars.

Cheers
Leander
YES! My current CDT Connie HI Line saloon '99 was a company car - loved it so much and bought it from my employer when due for replacement.

Next company car was a 2002 Tourer CDT Connie Hi Line - OK but project drive spoilt the experience. Obviously this was run alongside my existing saloon.

Next company car was the X Type SE Estate Diesel - with leather, wood, touch screen Sat Nav, TV etc - ie same spec as the 75 Connie Hi Line. MASSIVE disappointment!

may be I just expected too much - and I am sure I would have been delighted if I could have stretched to an S Type but:

1. Styling bland - especially the rear end IMO and a poor choice of colours if you're not into silver.
2. Seats were thin and uncomfortable after the Rover's - I got back ache. Felt like a deck chair.
3. Interior styling looked like each section had been designed by a different individual using the same palette of materials of course but no-co-ordination between them. Whether you like the 75's "oval" theme is a matter of taste - but at least there is a theme.
4. Maybe I was unlucky, but I can honestly say that the real wooden dash in the X Type looked more like plastic than the plastic dash in my Longbridge Tourer!
5. The touch screen Sat Nav drove me nuts. Jaguar will not allow most inputs ( eg new address) during motion for safety reasons. But to change anything in motion (eg scale) requires you to take your eye off the road to touch the screen. And if you touch the wrong part by accident you open up a completely different menu. (Whereas Doris and me often had a few gentle words the unfortunate lady int he X Type got a real bashing...)
6. The screen was so big and so bright that it dazzled me at night - so I often just turned it off. Yes, it was possible to switch to "Night time" for a softer light at night but that was complicated and frankly, when you're in a hurry, it's not something I wanted to do everytime I got into the car at night.
7. I use cruise a lot. In the 75 when you engage it the car holds the speed from then on. And doesn't waver. In the X Type when you engaged, it would accelerate past the speed bu up to 5 mph - then fall back - then accelerate etc until settling down. Quite irritating and alarming with a police car behind you in a 50 mph area. I moaned to the salesman. he said it was Jaguar's way. I refused to believe him He offered my a drive in any of his two demonstrators. They both did it as well.

I'm sure the X Type is a very reliable car for many but I was obviously comparing it with the 75. I was offered the X Type quite cheaply when I left the company - I politely declined. I'm not surprised it is being phased out. Robert
Bartonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 09:50   #8
martin green
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 TOURER CDT 2002 & 2000 PRIMROSE YELLOW 75 SE

I have owned both and liked both..the Jaguar diesel was faster but not so nice to look at...now they have both be consigned to the graveyard of memories...i know which one will stand the test of time....

Jaguar

or rover ??

Rover 75 wins hands down and absolutely a classic of the future especially the tourer with only 13000 left on the road.

or mg zt

martin green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 09:51   #9
superdavid
Avid contributor

MG ZT 2.0 Ltr CDTi

I do like both cars and did consider the jag diesel, but the mg won in the end, the jag just seemed to be lacking something....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
superdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 10:36   #10
stonesfan
Loves to post

Lexus GS

I also considered the Jaguar X type ! But the servicing costs put me right off. According to more than 1 car reviewing mag, actually more expensive than a C class or 3 series.

I've found servicing costs for my MG not much higher than 'Mondeo' prices to be honest.
stonesfan is offline   Reply With Quote