Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th February 2011, 15:31   #31
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk boy View Post
i though is was well balanced thought out case and confirms my line of thought on this matter.if this a childs story why is the goverment putting electric charging points for noddys car and building a high speed rail link for thomas ?
Because, if we do not develop an alternative infrastructure, we'll look pretty stupid walking down motorways.

It has been obvious that oil is a finite resource for most of my adult life. But, despite the simplistic points made in this thread, the stuff is not likely to suddenly 'run out'. It will get more expensive though and there may well temporary be supply issues if the population of Arabia decide that they no longer want to be 'ruled' by the House of Saud as their cousins in Egypt have just done.

I think the best thing to do over the long term is pay attention and plan your own alternative way of living and that won't be achieved by rubbishing electric vehicles. I'd want mine powered by a solar array on my house that can also be used to charge batteries for a low voltage lighting system for when the power goes out occasionally. I'd also consider how the heating system is going to work when the supply is cut off. My next house will be near source of food (you don't think this stuff gets to the shops by magic do you?) south facing and I'll fit a full height glazed front to it and work on insulating the rest of it very well for the winter, and find a way of ventilating it in the summer.

You can do whatever you like or course, and good luck!
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 15:53   #32
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

good for you i am all for it i not rubbishing electric cars or trains i was in effect adding to the fuel shortage idea .this is why this work is being done i no how food gets to shops i am from a farming family i no how to grow food and i am also not stupid the childrens story terms where used as a another thinks the thread is a fairy story or words to that effect.i for one have told my partner that this wil be the last car we will run the cost allone will price us out of the market.
Old 12th February 2011, 16:07   #33
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk boy View Post
good for you i am all for it i not rubbishing electric cars or trains i was in effect adding to the fuel shortage idea .this is why this work is being done i no how food gets to shops i am from a farming family i no how to grow food and i am also not stupid the childrens story terms where used as a another thinks the thread is a fairy story or words to that effect.i for one have told my partner that this wil be the last car we will run the cost allone will price us out of the market.
With so many fields lay fallow would it not be an idea to grow oil crops if you could get a price for it , this could be made into fuel to run diesels on .

i know it,s a SIMPLISTIC idea but surely if it cut our need to bring in oil from abroad it makes some sense .
Your a farmer so whats your opinion on that because frankly i live right beside former crop fields that are overgrown and going back to nature .
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 16:40   #34
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

the troulbe is having bred like rabbits it is not that easy we have some stark chioces to make.we cannot grow enough crops for bio fuel and food for people this is why some western countrys are allready buying large tracts of land in places like africa.basically we are cream crackered which ever way you look at it.
Old 12th February 2011, 16:54   #35
carl
Posted a thing or two

MG ZS 180, MGF 75th Aniversary and Kirsts ZT CDTi 135+, MG ZT-T CDTi

if we all go electric or alternatove - I just hope the arab nations do a good trade in the old majic carpets
Old 12th February 2011, 17:37   #36
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

All off thread posts have been deleted.

Gentlemen, please keep on thread and observe FAQ Rule 1.

All off-topic threads will be removed. You have been warned

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 12th February 2011 at 18:03..
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 17:51   #37
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

It,s been said in the thread that petrol/diesel prices could reach £7, £8 ,even 10 pounds in the near future and as i fill up daily at my job and have seen these near daily penny rises it,s very possible .
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 18:23   #38
martin green
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 TOURER CDT 2002 & 2000 PRIMROSE YELLOW 75 SE

Mintee, no one said it was running out today, what we did say we will have to compete with what is left with the rest of the planet, and by the way its takes 20 more barrels of oil to make a battery car than a petrol engine car, so this just adds to the problem. Here is one article .

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/7465
martin green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 18:51   #39
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin green View Post
Mintee, no one said it was running out today,
What did you mean by titling the thread 'get ready for fuel rationing soon' then?
Quote:
what we did say we will have to compete with what is left with the rest of the planet,
Of course and I can remember reading articles in the early 70's that predicted the 'peak oil' to be coming.

Obviously one day it will but I don't think there won't be 'rationing' as such, nor do I think it is particularly imminent (outside the sort of political events I described) as those that have massive investments in oil-based capitalism have too much to loose if they are making stuff no-one is capable of buying and I'm sure they are more than capable of watching out for the market.
Quote:
and by the way its takes 20 more barrels of oil to make a battery car than a petrol engine car, so this just adds to the problem.
Have you got a link to that '20 more barrels' comment? Sounds interesting.

I'm sure the 'battery' cars we have now are not the ultimate examples of the genre but unless we start looking at alternatives to an oil based system we are going to end up in big trouble!
Quote:
Okay.... but that is just a self-referencing piece of opinion isn't it?
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 19:01   #40
martin green
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 TOURER CDT 2002 & 2000 PRIMROSE YELLOW 75 SE

mintee

Are working for the green party or something? or the EU???

The amount of oil to construct a battery casing to use within a car takes OIL! The car which has also a need to have that battery within it is also assisted with OIL!

The machine to make the fabric for the seats and the food for the workers to eat to have the energy to make the cars and along with the international core materials need OIL!

The battery car will also need energy to re-charge like coal or gas another finite resourch so again no the battery car will not save us. I the current infrastructure will not take a RUSH HOUR PLUG IN from all over GREAT BRITAIN to charge your cars.

On this point nuclearer won't either as uranium is close to being as rare as the other rare earth materials.OIL IS THE LIFE BLOOD.....And you really need to look a little deeper than oh well the battery car will save us.

Please have a look at the article a well respected web site, it does not say were are out of oil, but we are going to have a bounty bidding on our hands..have you tried taking on the Chinese with 2.5 trillion spare cash to bid with......

highest bidder gets the bounty soon and the rest of us will feel the heat from that. more to follow,

EXTRACT FROM A BATTERY CAR MAKER

27 Sep 2010 ... I heard once that it takes 100 barrels of oil to make one car, I wonder how many barrels of oil it takes to make and recycle the battery in these cars? .... If you can also take in a company that does transportation or ...

These are not my opinon these are articles off the websites around the world..not my write ups...are you a Texan oil cheif or something??

any way more food for thought shall i get more?

http://www.oilcrisis.com/summary.htm

Last edited by martin green; 12th February 2011 at 19:10..
martin green is offline   Reply With Quote