Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th February 2011, 17:24   #41
Roverama
Last chance saloon

SAAB 900S

Apologies to all as I'm sure this is covering old ground again, but I can't really see why they haven't re launched the ZT, or Z7 as they prefer it, here in the UK and europe.
This was a flagship model in the MG Rover range, and Saic - Nanjing are already building the car in China.
Surely, even an re bodied version could be developed in a short space of time, filling what seems to be a gap in their range.
As good as their new cars may or may not be, there is nothing yet that would be likely to get me out of my ZT !
Roverama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:26   #42
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

They (SAIC) don't want to be associated with what was MG Rover despite the MG 6 having underpinnings from it like the front subframe and despite the fact that the MG ZT/Rover 75 is far superior car IMHO to the 6
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:37   #43
Roverama
Last chance saloon

SAAB 900S

Quote:
Originally Posted by e668ecp View Post
They (SAIC) don't want to be associated with what was MG Rover despite the MG 6 having underpinnings from it like the front subframe and despite the fact that the MG ZT/Rover 75 is far superior car IMHO to the 6
Yes, I hear what you say, and up to a point I can see their logic.
But it didn't apply with the TF did it !
Further more, when I saw the MG6 being displayed in our local shopping centre, most of the interested punters already knew that the car had the K series engine. The salesman was at pains to point out to them that this was indeed so, but a heavily re worked version.
Surely if SAIC are prepared to overcome that millstone then everything else is possible.
If you are right about them, then it seems they would rather offer nothing in what was quite a major segment, que sera !
Roverama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:43   #44
e668ecp

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

The N-series is just the Euro 4 version of the K-series as I understand it and was developed by MG Rover not NAC or SAIC. Lets hope the problems are resolved with the HGF but I have my doubts!

The TF was re-launched by NAC not SAIC to be fair
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 20:15   #45
Banjo
Posted a thing or two

MG6 Magnette 1.8 Tci SE

I can't help thinking thatif SAIC had bought MG Rover in the first place they may not have disassembled Longbridge and dragged the plant off to China. They had alraedy started tooling up for their versions using the designs so thoughtfully provided to the by Phoenix. If the planthad been left intact, with Powertrain, this new car could have been launched, say, 3 years ago. By now they could have had a range of cars - including a revised or new ZT. NIAC on the other hand needed all the plant - and had to build a factory in Nanjing to put it in.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 22:13   #46
Borg Warner

None

Have sat in one today and whilst the inside looks, shall we say "Germanic" it does look good both inside and out, I thought it was an Insignia at first. (Not sure if that's a compiment though). The engine bay looked familiar; they've fixed the Tee piece.

As for warranties, how many people keep a car from new for life? Agreed the choice is limited from a trim/engine view point but from SAIC's perspective they are not going to invest what is really needed for the bigger choices in case it goes belly up. But then by not having the choices they run that exact risk.

I've got a test drive in April, even at this early stage if I was seriousley in the market for a new car this would be on my list.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 22:31   #47
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

if that is correct the price 17k to 20k you have to be off your rocker.i would rather go for a second hand merc at half that price.
Old 19th February 2011, 12:18   #48
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverama View Post
Yes, I hear what you say, and up to a point I can see their logic.
But it didn't apply with the TF did it !
Further more, when I saw the MG6 being displayed in our local shopping centre, most of the interested punters already knew that the car had the K series engine. The salesman was at pains to point out to them that this was indeed so, but a heavily re worked version.
Surely if SAIC are prepared to overcome that millstone then everything else is possible.
If you are right about them, then it seems they would rather offer nothing in what was quite a major segment, que sera !
I think the TF was just a test run to see if everything was working. It was never going to be a long term run. Could you explain your last sentence? Which segment?
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 14:49   #49
martin green
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 TOURER CDT 2002 & 2000 PRIMROSE YELLOW 75 SE

I must admit when i was at the MG live in 2010 I was disapointed in the MG6. The car could have been a Volkswagon or Vauxhall , nothing about it. When MG Rover were around old shapes or not, never a truer marketing statement than theirs which was

" A CLASS OF ITS OWN"

I drive down the M1 most days now and the MG Rovers are no more unless its a late registered one. I drive for many miles and all i see is German, German,German, German or I forgot to mention French also.No brit cars at and very few Jaguars /Landrovers. Minis etc.

I sit there a smile and think their goes another £1 billion on the defict to Blighty. The German powerhouse is just that, created by all the other european countries buying their cars and gizmo's we must be mad, to think what the British workers could make with £2.00 budget, class engineers.

Which brings me onto the next point, people keep saying its great to see Longbridge making Rovers/MG again but stop and think when MG Rover were going they sourced 80% British bits for the cars and built most of it at Longbridge.

I read the autocar article today and the new MG6 will have the front suspension/engine and exhaust pipe fitted only at Longbrdge. 83% made in CHINA. only 17% in Blighty.

Its not the same, when i opened the door the chinese writing is on the inside of the A frames instead of ENGLISH.. My heart sank Longbridge is British.

They may have the name but not the soul!!!!! These fantastic MG ROVER cars all 5 years of them was a great era of the die hard spirit of the British workers fighting to stay in business and no one give them a chance.

One **** government let them go and the foreigners jumped at the chance to grab the brand..we must be mad.mad i tell you. These MG Rovers i want to keep going as long as I can, because they are not replaceable just like some old jewels in the atic upstairs.

And as the years go on..we will look back at the LAST BRITISH OWNED CAR COMPANY AND SAY .......What pratts we have been.

Longbridge is what your driving not what your looking to aspire to from there now.

Last edited by martin green; 19th February 2011 at 14:56..
martin green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 15:10   #50
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin green View Post
I must admit when i was at the MG live in 2010 I was disapointed in the MG6. The car could have been a Volkswagon or Vauxhall , nothing about it. When MG Rover were around old shapes or not, never a truer marketing statement than theirs which was

" A CLASS OF ITS OWN"

I drive down the M1 most days now and the MG Rovers are no more unless its a late registered one. I drive for many miles and all i see is German, German,German, German or I forgot to mention French also.No brit cars at and very few Jaguars /Landrovers. Minis etc.

I sit there a smile and think their goes another £1 billion on the defict to Blighty. The German powerhouse is just that, created by all the other european countries buying their cars and gizmo's we must be mad, to think what the
British workers could make with £2.00 budget, class engineers.

Which brings me onto the next point, people keep saying its great to see Longbridge making Rovers/MG again but stop and think when MG Rover were going they sourced 80% British bits for the cars and built most of it at Longbridge.

I read the autocar article today and the new MG6 will have the front suspension/engine and exhaust pipe fitted only at Longbrdge. 83% made in CHINA. only 17% in Blighty.

Its not the same, when i opened the door the chinese writing is on the inside of the A frames instead of ENGLISH.. My heart sank Longbridge is British.

They may have the name but not the soul!!!!! These fantastic MG ROVER cars all 5 years of them was a great era of the die hard spirit of the British workers fighting to stay in business and no one give them a chance.

One **** government let them go and the foreigners jumped at the chance to grab the brand..we must be mad.mad i tell you. These MG Rovers i want to keep going as long as I can, because they are not replaceable just like some old jewels in the atic upstairs.

And as the years go on..we will look back at the LAST BRITISH OWNED CAR COMPANY AND SAY .......What pratts we have been.

Longbridge is what your driving not what your looking to aspire to from there now.
Here here that bought a tear to my eye. I'm proud of what I drive and I don't care what people think
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote