Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th November 2011, 23:42   #81
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SCO View Post
Since no one seemed to have answered the original poster's question, here is the answer to it: the idea behind operating the glove box by a button (located higher up and closer to the driver) was

a) to allow easier access for the driver to open the glove box without having to lean over as much and

b) - even more importantly - the easy inclusion of the glove box into the "valet setting", where the special valet key does not allow to open the glove box. This is ensured without the driver having to think about it when dropping off the car at a dealer or indeed a valet, and it also prevents the driver from finding his glove box locked on the go because he or she had forgotten to unlock it.

There you go.

A

Thread closed?!
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 06:36   #82
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

The passenger seat for the wife!

As i will not let her drive my 190!
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 10:17   #83
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-M View Post
I remember one episode of Top Gear when they had some big Merc on test. One of the 'features' was being able to open the boot from the drivers seat. No big thing, but... it allowed you to specify how much the boot would open
I thought that was a great bit of designing, what about if you just want to put a post card in the boot, no point in opening it all the way is there.

Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 11:06   #84
dissy1810
Posted a thing or two

mgzt 160 1.8 lpg

i would say the most pointless feature on the 75 is the temperature guage
dissy1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 12:26   #85
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SCO View Post
Since no one seemed to have answered the original poster's question, here is the answer to it: the idea behind operating the glove box by a button (located higher up and closer to the driver) was

a) to allow easier access for the driver to open the glove box without having to lean over as much and

b) - even more importantly - the easy inclusion of the glove box into the "valet setting", where the special valet key does not allow to open the glove box. This is ensured without the driver having to think about it when dropping off the car at a dealer or indeed a valet, and it also prevents the driver from finding his glove box locked on the go because he or she had forgotten to unlock it.

There you go.

A
Well, indeed, there we go, thanks for your reply...... so not as pointless as it seems!! I'll have to let my friend know this.

Although I'm not sure about point a) - the driver will still have to lean over more to access the contents then just to open it if it had a handle.

Good thinking with the valet security.

I wonder how easy it would be to break it open though? It's only made from plastic. My Austin Allegro has a lockable glovebox but I'm sure that you could break it open very easily with just one hand....... making it more pointless than the Audi's electric opening.

I think the self-closing doors are the winner of the 'most pointless feature award'.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 13:59   #86
martin green
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 TOURER CDT 2002 & 2000 PRIMROSE YELLOW 75 SE

Default I ONLY EVER USE F on my temp gauge

The guy who said F should die is well out of sinc..........I and my wife who own a 75 each only ever have it on F, never in C format.

when its nice and warm F > for flaming is for me. Its like those EU instutions , about metric.....FEET AND INCHES ALL THE WAY.. none one wants 190cm tall

do they...get real , we are the same as the yanks and always have been and they have got it from us MILES TO THE GALLON.... AND FEW FEET HERE AND THERE...

Not a few MM to the left.....C is just another EU push job , like metric...

GOOD ON ROVER TO HAVE F on the temp,
martin green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 14:12   #87
martin green
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 TOURER CDT 2002 & 2000 PRIMROSE YELLOW 75 SE

Default miles on british roads is here to stay!!

IN DECEMBER 2008

BY The British Governement not the trumped up EU. voted to retain Britains hertitage and Miles is here to stay, Also they is a big push currently to re-introduce imperial weights as you can now see LBS coming on foods rather than just metric, rubbish,, by the way i was taught metric, imperial is better.

They is also something else going on with Britain and its EU traders or should i say ***** .

Nope Britain is going in the right direction and back to what she should be doing. I used to love buying things in LBS not kilos....the whole country is eradicating itself FOR WHAT?.
The BBC is the worst,, they had an artice in the website last night about who owes what to which nation. This would never happen in America, they would be blood on the streets.
They did it all in Euros, well I am not sure that the BBC know this, but Britain is not even in the euro, and never will be.But the monies were in euros to show a British based audience of who owes what.???? brain washing thats all they are doing..nope imperial for me, because its true to our nation.....and I am a metric kid and i use imperial all the time its good for spacial thought you can visualise feet and inches..ROMANS KNEW THAT, ALSO.

SOUND AS BRITISH POUND.....WELCOME BACK IMPERIAL MEASURES.
martin green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 14:23   #88
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Unfortunately I don´t agree at all. All this nostalgia is just going to make things more awkward (read expensive) with our dealings with the rest of the world. 100 units in most things are easy and in line with the rest of humanity. Keep the mile for old times sake but who wants to go back to 12oz = 1lb. 14lbs = 1 stone. 1520 yards (or what ever) to a mile. I had to go through all that as a kid. Waste of time.
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 14:25   #89
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

It WILL die eventually since its no long taught, and rightly so. Using imperial measurements in anything adds complication to formulae. Even Americans dont use imperial in scientific work and it has been officially sanctioned in the US since 1866. Use of the liter and milligram are extremely common.

Metric is standardised so that all measurements are equivalent to each other without conversion, all measurements are the same in all countries (which they aren't in imperial), and all measurements scale perfectly on a logarithmic scale.

Its not an 'EU' push since it existed before the EU, metric is simple logic. The use of imperial in Britain is pure British empire stubbornness. The notion that it is a new EU creation is totally wrong.

Imperial 'isnt true to our nation'. It was the British Association for Advancement of Science (BAAS) that proposed the standard use of metric units in 1861!

Last edited by rovexCDTi; 20th November 2011 at 14:28..
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 14:37   #90
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
Its not an 'EU' push since it existed before the EU, metric is simple logic. The use of imperial in Britain is pure British empire stubbornness. The notion that it is a new EU creation is totally wrong.
The metric system originated in France.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote