Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th November 2011, 14:43   #91
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
The metric system originated in France.
So. many things did but the last time I checked the EU didn't exist 200 years ago.
Old 20th November 2011, 14:56   #92
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

It´s just that why go back to something that is very complicated and out of tune with the rest of the world when we have a good system now. Yes, the French invented the 100 unit systems around the time of the French Revolution (although the Swede Celcius might have pipped them to the post). Some of us might not be inclined towards the French but they did everybody a good service there

It was once put to me that the Imperial systems etc that the british used were really devised by disgruntled immigrant officials just to gum up the works
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 14:59   #93
martin green
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 TOURER CDT 2002 & 2000 PRIMROSE YELLOW 75 SE

wrong JUST BECAUSE YOU FEEL it has to go, does not mean it will, by the way 1760 yards to a mile or 5280 feet to the mile or 20 cwt to 1 tonne.

Nothing wrong with that AND THE FRENCH did invent it, like the gent said, and the weights system was used upto year 2000, in which the EU (which i hate along with most brits)

Drove the stake into it, to match up with there (con man market) . The united states do not use metric in anyway, The man on the street form and the LBS dominates the Kilo...to the point kilo do not even get a mention....

Its funny the imperial nation (USA)is a world dominator and europe which is meant to foward looking Metric is backward in actions....and bankrupt.

NO EUROPE DROVE IMPERIAL OUT, LIKE SENDING PEOPLE TO JAIL FOR SELLING IN THAT WEIGHT FORMAT.

But they don't give a rats a*se about the older generation of brits who like using it.....NO SUNSHINE YOUR WRONG AND BRAINWASHED.

Last edited by martin green; 20th November 2011 at 15:01..
martin green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 15:16   #94
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

The US government use metric when dealing with other countries.. Its citizens mostly use imperial.

Sorry Martin, but its all just anti European talk. Metric is the best system, its standard, logical and simple. Getting upset just means you dont understand it, thats not a fault with the metric system. Its been around for over 250 years and the British sanctioned it and partly developed it, in fact our system of time was responsible for initiating it.

All schools teach metric exclusively now, imperial will be all but gone in 10 years. I agree that making imperial use a criminal offense is rather extreme.
Old 20th November 2011, 15:21   #95
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin green View Post
wrong JUST BECAUSE YOU FEEL it has to go, does not mean it will, by the way 1760 yards to a mile or 5280 feet to the mile or 20 cwt to 1 tonne.

Nothing wrong with that AND THE FRENCH did invent it, like the gent said, and the weights system was used upto year 2000, in which the EU (which i hate along with most brits)

Drove the stake into it, to match up with there (con man market) . The united states do not use metric in anyway, The man on the street form and the LBS dominates the Kilo...to the point kilo do not even get a mention....

Its funny the imperial nation (USA)is a world dominator and europe which is meant to foward looking Metric is backward in actions....and bankrupt.

NO EUROPE DROVE IMPERIAL OUT, LIKE SENDING PEOPLE TO JAIL FOR SELLING IN THAT WEIGHT FORMAT.

But they don't give a rats a*se about the older generation of brits who like using it.....NO SUNSHINE YOUR WRONG AND BRAINWASHED.
Oh dear, take it easy or you´ll have a HGF. I´ve left it behind as a piece of history, nothing to get all fired up about. I remember the girlfriends mother in 1971 getting all confused over having 100 pence to the pound instead of 240. She got used to it in a week or so.
Old 20th November 2011, 15:23   #96
martin green
Posted a thing or two

NO it won't have gone..............

we have gents at work who are 27 and use it, just because you do not teach in schools, means it will die out, The united states excludes massive influence and also word of mouth and speech (the oldest school in the book) well before schools its self, will ensure feet and inches will be around alot longer than 10 years, sorry mr EU lover.

I think you forgot i was taught metric, I understand both, but admit it Imperial is better visual maths, far better. I did not see much mention a class leader from your article , EU no where to be seen.

Sorry kidda, just because people do not want to use it, does not mean they do not understand it. My wife is only in here early thirties.....she hates metric....all my family and friends to the age of 22 still talk in feet and inches in height.....your going to have a nasty shock in 10 years my friend.. it will still be here after your long gone.
Old 20th November 2011, 15:27   #97
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

I´m not going to have a nasty shock in 10 years time. I don´t care really and I think it´s all a storm in a teacup. Hope you get it your way, if only to keep you from having a coronary along the way
Old 20th November 2011, 15:31   #98
martin green
Posted a thing or two

No heart troubles here..just a bit of spirit AGAINST the steamroller across the channel...........I do not need to get my way, if imperial has been out of schools that long..it still cannot beat the imperial....Measures can it.?NO!

enough said I HOPE YOU HAVE YARDS OF SMILES MY FRIEND.............

If enough people fight the ridicule and bulls*it and take on these commisioners...well things would change......commsioners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JOKE..

Last edited by martin green; 20th November 2011 at 15:33..
Old 20th November 2011, 15:34   #99
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I agree that miles, pounds, feet and inches might persist for a good while, but nothing else will. We no longer use Cubits for example. because they are stupid.

Im only 36, but even i see the drastic reduction in the use of imperial by kids. A lot do know their height in cm now. My generation seems to be the one of conversion, knowing both, and converting. The next generation only learns metric.

I get the feeling Martin that it IS about johnny foreigner for you. If WE had created metric you would be all for it. Stop stressing, we invented everything else!

Last edited by rovexCDTi; 20th November 2011 at 15:36..
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 15:35   #100
RovingDennis
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT 135+ Club saloon, Wegwood Blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattrike View Post
I Agree!! I work in temperature controlled rooms all set to 20 Deg C, very comfortable!

So what's that in english....F?