Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th November 2011, 14:37   #101
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Metric for me, it is much more logical and scientific, no need for imperial anymore, the only imperial ones I use is MPH and MPG, but heights/weights/temps I dont understand imperial anymore... oh and money too...
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 14:37   #102
martin green
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 TOURER CDT 2002 & 2000 PRIMROSE YELLOW 75 SE

AROUND 70F.

The new kids will talk to the older kids and they will talk to the older generation....nothing dies, it's shared........

Its not jonny Foreigner at all IF YOU LIKE BEING TOLD WHAT TO DO, BY UNELECTED TWOTS then thats fine, but i and many others do not.....and just because they do it, its not always in our best interest. I LIKE THE USA as they stick to there guns....They do whats best for the USA and good on them ....I also feel we have something good here within our own nation. Sharing is one thing biro pen occupation is another.

No the undertones are not them foreignors but more that we are changing like sheep and we all know whats happens to them.

Last edited by martin green; 20th November 2011 at 14:45..
martin green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 14:44   #103
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin green View Post
AROUND 70F.

The new kids will talk to the older kids and they will talk to the older generation....nothing dies, it's shared........

Yeah, about the X factor, latest gadgets, etc etc...

Not too many of today's kids are interested in the past i'm afraid.
Old 20th November 2011, 15:09   #104
CFS75
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto

It's interesting that neighbours Canada and the USA have different systems. Canada went metric years ago when miles were replaced with kilometres and gallons changed to litres. However you drive over the border and you find distances are all in miles - you feel at home, and you pull into a 'gas' station and are pleased to to see the pumps are selling 'gas' in gallons. BUT they are not imperial gallons! The US have their own gallon measure that is smaller than the imperial gallon.

Petrol is cheaper in the US than in Canada and many Canadians living near the (almost) open border will drive over to fill up in the US. I tried to work out the savings but the conversions of Canadian to US dollars and then litres to US gallons defeated me!

Colin S
CFS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 15:15   #105
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

This is beginning to get like something from Monty Python I don´t connect having a metric system to being in the EU. I think the EU is a failure and a nice place for the political -race- to send their -not so good- politicians to get a good living and a nice wage (thereby getting rid of them for a while from the -home country-). The metric system is a good thing where ever it came from. Of course all the racehorses miss running furlongs now that they have to run kilometers
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 15:24   #106
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

I would have to agree that dropping imperial for metric would be in most peoples interests, nostalgia is not really a reason to hold onto a confusing measurement system.
Most of the rest of the world ( North America excluded ) use the metric system and to compete and be productive with other nations it makes no sense to work things out and then convert to another system, 'Tis where mistakes get made!

Last edited by coolcat; 20th November 2011 at 15:26..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 15:33   #107
Kiltman
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTi 135 / Rover 75 Club SE 160

I wonder if Martin insists on describing the size of his engines as 119 cubic inches?
Kiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 15:50   #108
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Courier View Post
Metric for me, it is much more logical and scientific, no need for imperial anymore, the only imperial ones I use is MPH and MPG, but heights/weights/temps I dont understand imperial anymore... oh and money too...
I still think in miles, feet, inches and gallons. I still look in my workshop for a bit of wood around two feet long, but will happily go out and buy a metre of wood. I visualise better in Imperial, then convert to metric as needed in my head. I was never happy with deg F, so quickly forgot it and use degC. I was first taught metric units at about 14, but my early working life was entirely Imperial.

I was glad the metric money arrived in 1972(?)-ish. I could if necessary still work in £sd money and recognise/count the old coins, but I don't suppose anyone is still clinging to the use of £$d

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 16:02   #109
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I still think in miles, feet, inches and gallons. I still look in my workshop for a bit of wood around two feet long, but will happily go out and buy a metre of wood. I visualise better in Imperial, then convert to metric as needed in my head. I was never happy with deg F, so quickly forgot it and use degC. I was first taught metric units at about 14, but my early working life was entirely Imperial.

I was glad the metric money arrived in 1972(?)-ish. I could if necessary still work in £sd money and recognise/count the old coins, but I don't suppose anyone is still clinging to the use of £$d
I worked in supermarkets in '72. We worked seven full days before 'D' day (Decimal) and another seven after it. Changing everything in the shops over to the new currency. I was responsible for 5 of them. The changeover cost in all 4 million pounds! Guess who paid? All I can say is the company's profits increased by around 12% that year in spite of the cost. That was the start of the rot, it accelerated from then on, rather like a cruise control without any.
wraymond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 16:07   #110
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

I started this thread to discuss pointless car features.

A heated debate on the merits of the metric and imperial system and even the European Union was not quite what I had in mind............

If you want to argue about F/C or feet/cm then please feel free to start a separate thread for such arguments. Doesn't have much to do with silly car bits.

Otherwise, please keep to the topic and share any other pointless car features!
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote