Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th November 2014, 13:57   #1
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool MG ZT Sills Help

Hi guys i have now been soaking my sills with Nitromors for over 3 hours and one has only lost the color paint there seems to be a sort of black undercoat on it and it doesnt seemt to be moving the other one which was half stripped anyway has all com off ? any advice welcomed.

pz.also where can i buy replacement wheel badges? i have the spoked alloys(as per picture) but badges are shot have pushed them of through hole in centre.?

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 14:08   #2
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
Hi guys i have now been soaking my sills with Nitromors for over 3 hours and one has only lost the color paint there seems to be a sort of black undercoat on it and it doesnt seemt to be moving the other one which was half stripped anyway has all com off ? any advice welcomed.

pz.also where can i buy replacement wheel badges? i have the spoked alloys(as per picture) but badges are shot have pushed them of through hole in centre.?
wrt the wheel centres you can get new ones of these still; mind if you want a part worn set either Al or plastic I have two sets

I sort of want to ask why you are trying to remove the paint that is blatantly mega anchored on there!!
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 14:09   #3
FROGGY

MG ZT CDTI

When you say sills, do you mean the painted strip at the bottom of the doors, or do you mean the actual sills themselves?

Mick

IN THE BLACK NOW
FROGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 14:27   #4
gazcaz

MG ZT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfDave View Post
wrt the wheel centres you can get new ones of these still; mind if you want a part worn set either Al or plastic I have two sets

I sort of want to ask why you are trying to remove the paint that is blatantly mega anchored on there!!
Hi ProfDAVE because the off side was already half peeled when i purchased it ,the centre part i need is just the mg logo its really corroded i have popped them of so need to replace 80mm diameter and yes Froggy the strips at the bottom of the doors.

Old 15th November 2014, 16:06   #5
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post

I wouldn't bother with paint stripper it don't, all I did was go to the wanted section and ask for a pair of Chrome Rover strips.
There a how to on here in taking the old ones off.

Julien
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 08:31   #6
sean flood

75 tourer

Default Paint stripper

I tried Nitromors on a motorcycle frame wheels and tank and it was useless if my wife had not lost the receipt I would of returned it as not fit for purpose because it cost £30 I have been told that my local paint supplier does some which I had not thought of might be worth trying. Sean
sean flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 08:48   #7
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Sadly because of the 'elf and safety brigade, the "Green" Nitromors that you buy in the shops nowadays, has had it's balls removed and you may as well soak it in milk, for the difference it will make!

If you can get hold of the "proper" stuff, (try somewhere like a builders merchants, rather than the multiples) it should whip it off no problem!

As for the MG badges, it really depends on how original you want to keep your car, as these were never available separately new and both the wheel centres (metal on early cars http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RRJ000050MNH and plastic on the later cars http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RRJ000051MNH ) are currently out of stock at Rimmers, but it may be worth putting them on back order with them.

Other than that, it's just a case of finding something on eBay, that is close enough to what you want!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 08:55   #8
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

As suggested above for the sill trims, just get the unpainted 75 trims from a scrappy.

Genuine badges for the wheel centres were never available on their own as far as I know. There are lots of alternatives though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...badge&_sacat=0

It would be good if we could get the originals recreated properly. There are plenty of companies around that do 3d dome resin badges.

I did approach a local company, but the set up costs for a few off made it a bit
expensive. Needs a group buy set up I think.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 09:28   #9
gazcaz

MG ZT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
As suggested above for the sill trims, just get the unpainted 75 trims from a scrappy.

Genuine badges for the wheel centres were never available on their own as far as I know. There are lots of alternatives though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...badge&_sacat=0

It would be good if we could get the originals recreated properly. There are plenty of companies around that do 3d dome resin badges.

I did approach a local company, but the set up costs for a few off made it a bit
expensive. Needs a group buy set up I think.
Nice thought ,i would like to keep it original as much as i can if i wanted to go of the rails and customize i would of got the V8 and plenty of cash behind me lol

Old 16th November 2014, 16:06   #10
gazcaz

MG ZT

Cool

Up date on under door trims they are now both shiny chrome.The stubborn one i coated before nighty nights woke up this morning and basically paint fell off ,happy days ?