Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th May 2015, 22:20   #1
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts
Default XH558 Vulcan's last Flights...

Time is running out folks to see this magnificent historic engineering spectacular in flight. I have no real connection with aircraft, but as a young lad I attended an air show where this very plane made it's presence known to all at the show, and many nowhere near the show for miles around. The effect was terrifying but also amazing! Any cars in the car parks with alarms played their own tunes in salute to this magic fly past that shook everything almost to death! Think many had trouser event problems as well ! Mine stayed clean and dry thankfully.
Back to my reason for posting:
It is unlikely that this beautiful creation will fly again after this tour, and so I am going to see it with a fellow member at one of the many shows it will appear at. Thought I would share this link with any interested parties.
I am not setting about arranging anything in terms of club meet ETC, so it's up to you guys to do your own thing, but once decided on the venue Paulym & I plan to go to, we will advise on this post and maybe see some other members follow in our salute to this fine craft's last flights.

Linky below:
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html

As agreed, Paul and I am doing the Eastbourne Airborne event from Beechy Head on August 15th.

Cheers John H.

Last edited by RogerHeinz57; 25th May 2015 at 07:30.. Reason: Decision on meeting to attend.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 22:28   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I have seen XH558 many times and each one is special, stood on the end of the runway at Scampton last year as she flew over for the Cold War tour was something else, no sound upon approach at all, as soon as she was overhead it sounded like hell had opened its doors!

Get to see her fly, you won't regret it.
Old 24th May 2015, 23:08   #3
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts
Thumbs up

Have to agree. I was 13yrs old in a village behind Norwich Airport watching a Vulcan in its death rolls and the sound went right through me, as it was retired to the Norwich Aviation museum.
Never forget it and well worth watching
Old 24th May 2015, 23:13   #4
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Saw it at Welshpool last year and will be back there again in 2015, also a classic car show on the day if anyone fancies it

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 23:19   #5
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
Saw it at Welshpool last year and will be back there again in 2015, also a classic car show on the day if anyone fancies it
I have been a contributer to the project ( very small sum each month by DD) from before we got her back in the Sky. She is an example of British engineering at its best. This year, although sad to be her last in flight, is a celebration of the contribution her type made to the RAF and aeronautical engineering in general.

It is planned that she will be housed at Doncaster and be the centre piece of a centre to promote aeronautical engineering.

If you have not seen her fly recently ( or ever) make the effort because aircraft like this will never be seen again. The sound on take off ( the Vulcan Howl! ) is never forgotten.

Enjoy...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ARSE8jEHQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RuqBozAEpDE

Chris

Last edited by Astraeus; 24th May 2015 at 23:38..
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 23:37   #6
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

If you cannot get there to see her just google "XH588" and select videos. Some amazing footage

It will be a shame to see her end her days as a static But if her time is up then so be it... wonder what her mpg is like ?

In 1981 ( I think) I had the pleasure of meeting the pilot of the Vulcan at the last Greenham Common Air Display. He told me (and my friends) that he had arrived the day before and got permission to do a very low level pass (Think they used to call it beating up the airfield in the old days).... Anyway he did a low pass over the runway and went up near vertical on full power, spinning the aeroplane. He then did a Victory roll over the airfield before looping the loop and landing.

When he got out a crowd of American ground crews ran up to him and asked "What kinda fighter is that?!".. To which he replied " Fighter? That Gentlemen, is Britain's Heavy Bomber" He said their faces were a picture....

It is/was an amazing aeroplane. the only thing we had to hit the Falkands....... 5 months after they were decommisioned.... What have we now ?

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 25th May 2015 at 00:51.. Reason: typo
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 00:26   #7
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Fantastic aircraft, a tribute to British engineering. We were lucky enough to see her fly last year. The sound is awesome!

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 02:35   #8
Steve42
I really should get out more.......

mg 190+

have been lucky to see it fly a few times now.
but last year I was lucky to see the 3 sisters at Waddington the 2 lancs and the Vulcan.
must admit to see the 3 flying together will stay with me for ever.
Steve42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 09:07   #9
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
It is/was an amazing aeroplane. the only thing we had to hit the Falkands....... 5 months after they were decommisioned.... What have we now ?
A strongly worded letter!

It'll be sad if she does end her days in a static museum, you didn't so much hear the Vulcan as feel it.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 09:38   #10
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

I'll be going to shuttleworth........only a few miles from me.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote