Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th July 2015, 01:37   #1
SilverViper

Default My DD installation

Hi guys,
So one of the nice things about the 75 are of course the DD Android Head Units. So mine came in the mail today and I immediately started removing the old radio. I'm still not sure what the proper name is for my old one; I guess it's the low-line Symphony radio: it has satnav, but no tv, it has the cd changer and I have the LCD display between the clocks.

So when I took the standard radio head out I already knew I was in trouble because two ISO plugs came out. I knew the new DD was delivered with two BMW plugs, the 17 and 40-pin. I did read that it was likely an extension from a BMW to ISO adapter somewhere near the ashtray. However, minde had all pins in the grey ISO plug connected so I doubt that. I figured the easiest way would be to get an universal ISO plug with open leads to connect the radio through screw terminals. Well that turned out to be quite adventurous. Normally I'm always having a hard time figuring out the speaker cables in previous radio replacement endeavours, but that was the easiest part.

Short version: I got the radio installed, it works great! There are five things left that I have to fix:
1. Steering wheel controls
2. Rear view camera, which is a must with the Rover's high ass! xD
3. Connecting a webcam, so I can use it as a dashcam and video-in for Skype!
4. Fix the 30 second boot when the DD starts up after turning the key to ignition.
5. Figure out why Torque can see the BT OBD2 dongle but can't talk to the ecu.

So I have several questions:
A. I know I need the Orange/Purple and Blue/Orange leads for the steering wheel controls. I tried pretty much every set up except for grounding the Blue/Orange one. It has a brown wire labelled Key 1 and I'll connect the Orange/Purple one to that and the other one to ground tomorrow.
B. Is it normal that, unless a camera is connected to the input, it won't switch to the camera in? I haven't received it yet :p
C. What is the best way to wire the power cables to the video camera? It makes sense to me to have it connected to the reverse lights' 12v, but it would be nice to have it on when the ignition is on. That way I don't have to reverse to see behind me. If anyone knows from memory if I can use some of the cables that went into the satnav in the boot for that, that would save me another hour puzzling the Electric Diagrams.
D. The radio came with a canbus converter. What is the exact function of it? The Illumination wire goes into there (which is split in the loom to also go to the radio directly), same as the k-line, of which I can't seem to find the proper one (a hint is very welcome here), plus the yellow, red, and black radio wires for 12v. There are three wires coming out of the decoder towards the radio: Key 2, Brake, and Back. Not sure what Key 2 does, I don't need the handbrake limitation, but Back seems interesting as it may switch to the rear view camera?
E. There appears to be an Aerial wire in the ISO plug. Do I need to connect this to anything? I do have radio reception when I have the antenna plugged in...

BTW, I wanted to reuse the cable loom that went to the boot for the rear view camera. After going through the electrical schematics for two hours, I found that mine had two cables going from the boot to a speaker, below the steering wheel, just behind the OBD2 plug. So with some acrobatic moves I was able to trace it to the radio cable loom! if you look close at the bundle, two wires go straight back to the steering wheel housing. Their colors are Blue/Grey and Yellow/Grey. They can be a different colour for some models, it would be Orange/Grey and Orange/Green.
SilverViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 12:00   #2
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverViper View Post
Hi guys,
So one of the nice things about the 75 are of course the DD Android Head Units. So mine came in the mail today and I immediately started removing the old radio. I'm still not sure what the proper name is for my old one; I guess it's the low-line Symphony radio: it has satnav, but no tv, it has the cd changer and I have the LCD display between the clocks.

So when I took the standard radio head out I already knew I was in trouble because two ISO plugs came out. I knew the new DD was delivered with two BMW plugs, the 17 and 40-pin. I did read that it was likely an extension from a BMW to ISO adapter somewhere near the ashtray. However, minde had all pins in the grey ISO plug connected so I doubt that. I figured the easiest way would be to get an universal ISO plug with open leads to connect the radio through screw terminals. Well that turned out to be quite adventurous. Normally I'm always having a hard time figuring out the speaker cables in previous radio replacement endeavours, but that was the easiest part.

Short version: I got the radio installed, it works great! There are five things left that I have to fix:
1. Steering wheel controls
2. Rear view camera, which is a must with the Rover's high ass! xD
3. Connecting a webcam, so I can use it as a dashcam and video-in for Skype!
4. Fix the 30 second boot when the DD starts up after turning the key to ignition.
5. Figure out why Torque can see the BT OBD2 dongle but can't talk to the ecu.

So I have several questions:
A. I know I need the Orange/Purple and Blue/Orange leads for the steering wheel controls. I tried pretty much every set up except for grounding the Blue/Orange one. It has a brown wire labelled Key 1 and I'll connect the Orange/Purple one to that and the other one to ground tomorrow.
B. Is it normal that, unless a camera is connected to the input, it won't switch to the camera in? I haven't received it yet :p
C. What is the best way to wire the power cables to the video camera? It makes sense to me to have it connected to the reverse lights' 12v, but it would be nice to have it on when the ignition is on. That way I don't have to reverse to see behind me. If anyone knows from memory if I can use some of the cables that went into the satnav in the boot for that, that would save me another hour puzzling the Electric Diagrams.
D. The radio came with a canbus converter. What is the exact function of it? The Illumination wire goes into there (which is split in the loom to also go to the radio directly), same as the k-line, of which I can't seem to find the proper one (a hint is very welcome here), plus the yellow, red, and black radio wires for 12v. There are three wires coming out of the decoder towards the radio: Key 2, Brake, and Back. Not sure what Key 2 does, I don't need the handbrake limitation, but Back seems interesting as it may switch to the rear view camera?
E. There appears to be an Aerial wire in the ISO plug. Do I need to connect this to anything? I do have radio reception when I have the antenna plugged in...

BTW, I wanted to reuse the cable loom that went to the boot for the rear view camera. After going through the electrical schematics for two hours, I found that mine had two cables going from the boot to a speaker, below the steering wheel, just behind the OBD2 plug. So with some acrobatic moves I was able to trace it to the radio cable loom! if you look close at the bundle, two wires go straight back to the steering wheel housing. Their colors are Blue/Grey and Yellow/Grey. They can be a different colour for some models, it would be Orange/Grey and Orange/Green.
I have to say I do love my Navall III

Re the BT OBD thingy, its a known issue and Sean (Radioguy) is onto it!

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 12:56   #3
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I have to say I do love my Navall III

Re the BT OBD thingy, its a known issue and Sean (Radioguy) is onto it!
By the sounds of the OP's post it isn't a Navall3 of Sean's but one made for a BMW E46 especially with the supplied Canbus interface ......by the way OP, Canbus interface not needed on our cars
Old 26th July 2015, 16:29   #4
SilverViper

@Christopher: Yeah I will try it in a different car, just to be sure. Otherwise I will contact the seller to send me another one.

@coolcat: I've seen Sean's Navall's, but the GBP lately is like gold. I pay 1.40 Eur for one GBP. So I found a Chinese reseller with a local EU warehouse. That saved me like 300 euro! I don't mind sawing off the two plastic ears and some bits from the upper metal flaps if it saves me 300 eur.

So I will toss the CANBUS out and I will go through the schematics to find the missing wires. Meaning: Back, Key 2 and Brake. I already know I don't need the Brake.

Thanks so far! I hope someone can help me with the other questions

Edit: I just read that the reverse camera will come with another lead next to the video RCA. Appears that I need to find another cable in the old Satnav's loom..

Last edited by SilverViper; 26th July 2015 at 16:43.. Reason: Update
Old 26th July 2015, 18:27   #5
SilverViper

Ah I found an even better solution for the reverser camera!

I noticed in the schematics that the old satnav has a wire going from the reverse switch! It's the Green/Brown cable in one of the connectors. I also noticed a lead from the satnav directly going to the grey ISO plug to the radio, it's Purple/Pink. So if I connect the two and connect the Purple/Pink wire to the radio's Back wire, I have that sorted as well

Then for having the camera on when the ignition is on so I can always look without going in reverse: I can use the old Satnav's ignition wire (Green/White) to power the camera!

So with that setup, I can always look backwards and it should come one automatically when I go in reverse