Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th January 2016, 11:09   #1
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

Default Conflicting battery information

Last week my 75 2.0 V6 wouldn't start, just the "click click" on turning the ignition key. At first I thought that it was the starter as the lights came on and the fans worked. On checking the battery it only showed a reading of 10V, so all the short trips with lights, fans, heaters, and everything else on had run the battery down. It didn't really come as a surprise, as when I visited Doopydug's, Ben did say at the time that he thought the battery was on the way out.

It didn't take long to bring the battery up to (apparently) full charge again, so rather than mess around I looked for a replacement.

There appeared to be a multitude of batteries available, all different makes, capacities, prices, and dimensions. Finding the right one at a decent price was proving to be a bit of a nightmare.

The battery that was fitted was a Lucas Premium Type LP096 70Ah, with dimensions of L 278mm x W 175mm x H 190mm. On checking the compatibility charts they said that this was incompatible with the V6! This type of battery had been in the car working successfully since I got it, so I got another the same. It dropped straight in, the battery wiring connected without any tightness in the cables, and the battery box lid snapped in place as it should. At £51.50 including carriage I didn't think it was too bad.

Why is there so much conflicting information regarding batteries for these cars?

The bonus is, that I now know that I don't need a code for the radio.

Cheers,
Fifer
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 11:23   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
Why is there so much conflicting information regarding batteries for these cars?
I think that it's because it's a hotbed of salesmanship. You only have to read this forum to discover that brand loyalty eclipses technical specification.

Your battery became discharged due to the laws of physics. You took more out of the battery than you replaced. It's as simple as that. It needed re-charging followed by a regular maintenance charge to compensate for your driving pattern.

If you've still got the original battery, buy a C-tek smart maintenance charger (compact and well engineered) which you can leave connected permanently. You'll then have a fully charged battery ready for service on a rotational basis (unless your useage has indeed "killed" it ).

Simon
Old 15th January 2016, 11:24   #3
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I just bought a Vata battery. As long as the battery is a 096 the physical size will fit our cars, with the poles in the correct place-from there it is a jumble of info and advertising hype really.

The AH are important, with 74-77 good for the larger engines and diesels. the other point to look out for is the CCA. Again the higher the better for the diesel. they range for 680-780CCA, hoe accurate/true it is, is another story.

Bosh are always going to be better I suppose, but for the money, are they better than the cheaper ones .

This was mine (£67) , time will tell....

Dimensions
12v 77Ah 780CCA
Length (mm) - 278
Width (mm) - 175
Total Height (mm) - 190
Weight (Kg) - 18.3
Terminal Type - Standard Post (A)
Terminal Layout - RH+
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 11:28   #4
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
As long as the battery is a 096 the physical size will fit our cars ...
Maybe the size of the battery box changed, but an 096 was too tall comfortably to fit my 1999 car, so care is recommended.

Simon
Old 15th January 2016, 12:43   #5
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Last week my 75 2.0 V6 wouldn't start, just the "click click" on turning the ignition key. At first I thought that it was the starter as the lights came on and the fans worked. On checking the battery it only showed a reading of 10V, so all the short trips with lights, fans, heaters, and everything else on had run the battery down. It didn't really come as a surprise, as when I visited Doopydug's, Ben did say at the time that he thought the battery was on the way out.

It didn't take long to bring the battery up to (apparently) full charge again, so rather than mess around I looked for a replacement.

There appeared to be a multitude of batteries available, all different makes, capacities, prices, and dimensions. Finding the right one at a decent price was proving to be a bit of a nightmare.

The battery that was fitted was a Lucas Premium Type LP096 70Ah, with dimensions of L 278mm x W 175mm x H 190mm. On checking the compatibility charts they said that this was incompatible with the V6! This type of battery had been in the car working successfully since I got it, so I got another the same. It dropped straight in, the battery wiring connected without any tightness in the cables, and the battery box lid snapped in place as it should. At £51.50 including carriage I didn't think it was too bad.

The bonus is, that I now know that I don't need a code for the radio.

Cheers,
Fifer
Obviously it's down to personal choice, but I have found the 096 fouls the Battery Lid making the Clips prone to breaking off....

I have the same model car as yours and I fitted one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Type-100-C...wAAOSwhkRWd~W7 (As others have).

That was about 3 + years ago now and it's been great.

And I also leave mine standing for long periods with many short trips.

Personally, I don't think you will find better cheaper!

Mine fitted, as you see, a perfect fit!

Good luck!

PS. The same Battery is £20.00 more at ECP...!!!
Old 15th January 2016, 19:13   #6
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I agree. The 278mm x 175mm x 190mm makes fitting the battery cover quite awkward.

The battery specs and sizes seem to vary a lot, as the 096 is also available in the 175mm height, which fits much more neatly IMO.

This is what I have fitted, and are available for under £60 delivered from some places.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Exide-P...sAAOSwYHxWNyjO
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 22:26   #7
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

Thanks for the replies.
Quote:
If you've still got the original battery, buy a C-tek smart maintenance charger (compact and well engineered) which you can leave connected permanently.
I do have a small maintenance charger Simon. It is a dual 12V and 6V unit, which is handy for the 6V battery on the Morris. I can only charge the battery when it is out of the car, so it will be good to have a refreshed stand-by battery when needed.

The 096 appears to manufactured in two heights, 175mm and 190mm. It is possible that my battery box is different to others, but it looks like either battery would fit. Even with the red rubber "boot" on the positive terminal of the 190mm high battery the lid closes without forcing it.

With all the different types of batteries on offer it would be great to have a page of batteries that members have fitted to the different models, and their findings with those batteries.
Quote:
I have the same model car as yours and I fitted one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Type-100-C...wAAOSwhkRWd~W7 (As others have).
We have seen the battery fitted to your V6 MangoMan, but once again on checking the compatibility chart, it says that it is not compatible with the model. This is what I find most confusing.

Cheers,
Fifer
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 08:11   #8
SD1too

Jim,

I have a type 100 battery in my car, with the battery box lid fitted, so your e-bay information must be incorrect.

I never bother with these consumer guides. Just measure the available space and compare with the quoted battery dimensions. What could be easier?
Quote:
... it would be great to have a page of batteries that members have fitted to the different models, and their findings with those batteries.
As I hinted earlier Jim, that would be an unreliable indicator because most people choose a battery on branding. What actually makes the difference is the way the battery is treated in service, and that varies enormously. If you choose a battery with the largest ampère hour and CCA rating you can find at a price you wish to pay, there's not a lot more you can do except ensure that it is kept as fully charged as possible all the time.

But I know that you won't be convinced by any of that!

Simon
Old 16th January 2016, 08:27   #9
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

I'm a great believer in using the biggest capacity battery for the available space. One never knows when a big battery could be needed to get you home if the alternator should fail.
Old 16th January 2016, 09:51   #10
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Jim,

I have a type 100 battery in my car, with the battery box lid fitted, so your e-bay information must be incorrect.

I never bother with these consumer guides. Just measure the available space and compare with the quoted battery dimensions. What could be easier?

As I hinted earlier Jim, that would be an unreliable indicator because most people choose a battery on branding. What actually makes the difference is the way the battery is treated in service, and that varies enormously. If you choose a battery with the largest ampère hour and CCA rating you can find at a price you wish to pay, there's not a lot more you can do except ensure that it is kept as fully charged as possible all the time.

But I know that you won't be convinced by any of that!

Simon
Does the strap clamp fit with a type 100? Seems the battery would fit over where the bolt should go.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote