Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2016, 14:01   #1
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts
Default Caravan I've bid on what do people think

I've seen a caravan on eBay item number 331772754439 what do people think it's worth, I have never had a caravan before, noticed a tourer towing it, and I've bid on it but unsure of its value

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated
Thanks in advance mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 14:18   #2
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Here is the eBay link

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/331772754439
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 14:24   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Do you want it, if so, then it's what you want to pay for it. Because it is a caravan, no engine, no mileage to concern, it's a condition and usefulness position for you.

Why don't you go and look at it?

With that much bid with still 5 days to go, I would say it will sell for about 2500, but you have to decide.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 14:40   #4
scorpio
Loves to post

75 Tourer zircon silver

If you can view it would be better, he says both sides resprayed but he doesn't say why. that could be many reasons but the big one could be damp, check the floor for de-lamination (bouncy)as that is where most vans go first.

I will probably go for near 2k so for that amount I would have to view it

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur CDT Auto
Zircon Silver
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 14:44   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Moved to a better forum for coverage
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 14:45   #6
scorpio
Loves to post

75 Tourer zircon silver

Another thing it might just be a typo but Avondale only did the harrier for one year and that was 1999

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur CDT Auto
Zircon Silver
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 15:30   #7
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Avondale caravans are usually good buys if they have been maintained well. There is the obvious issue of the broken outer window skin but that is not an insurmountable issue tho' do remember that these windows are horrendously expensive to buy new replacements for. So best to search round for one from a breaker.

The good thing about Avondales is that the roof is one piece - whereas many caravans have joins in the roof - therefore potential leak areas - the Avondales had roofs like upturned boats. So all you have to do is to check where the side panels join - and that is an easy job to update the sealant on - We did our Avondale Leda Mendip over a nice hot summer weekend. (Obviously not a job to do in the wet ) - but this roof structure is a real bonus compared to other manufacturers.

The great thing I notice is the layout. There is a nice breakfast bar to eat and have a cuppa/wine/beer at. We found this layout works well as we could leave the bed down so no hassle of making it up each night. For us sitting out in the awning was the real pleasure - and simply getting up and crawling into a ready made bed made up for any lack of lounge space in the caravan.

If you do get it - it would pay to remove the awning rails and the window rails, clean them up and refit with a modern sealant (NOT SILICONE!!) and stainless screws.

That way you can ensure it is leakproof for years. Then you can buy a nice new plastic strip to slide into the awning rail that covers the screws and that alone transforms the look of the caravan.

If you haven't done any of this before - it is easy - very satisfying - and inexpensive.

As others have said - watch for a delaminated floor - spongy. If it is not too bad - this can be fixed by simply drilling holes in the underside of the floor and injecting an epoxy resin to firm up the delaminated bit. What happens is the floor is a sandwich of ply and hard polystyrene. The Polystyrene can crumble over time where people walk. So again - a fairly easy fix.

But - if a strong smell of damp/mould when you sniff - best to walk away.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 15:40   #8
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Another thing it might just be a typo but Avondale only did the harrier for one year and that was 1999
Not trying to be clever - but it was made from 1993 to 1999.

http://www.gocaravanning.com/caravan...avan-Data.html

There was a bunk bed system in the breakfast bar so it was a 4 berth and that was only an option in its last year so it was listed as a 3 berth in 1999.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 15:56   #9
Tin Tent
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

Looks like offside skin has delaminated you can see its all wavy i would say it's had a leak wood will almost certainly be rotten you can see what looks like screws on the outside. Myself i would look for one in better condition, like already said best to view as damps a killer also check tyres they most often rot before wearing out.
Tin Tent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 16:08   #10
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tent View Post
Looks like offside skin has delaminated you can see its all wavy i would say it's had a leak wood will almost certainly be rotten you can see what looks like screws on the outside. Myself i would look for one in better condition, like already said best to view as damps a killer also check tyres they most often rot before wearing out.
I agree - definitely the offside looks iffy; if it is going to head for the £2,000 region, I reckon you could probably do better for the money. Certainly, I would want a really close look at it - and take a damp meter too.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote