Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2016, 14:58   #1
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default Face lift saloon backlight (glass)

According to Rimmers ZUA000870 is the 'backlight finisher' - x2 sections for N/S and O/S . The black 'gasket' on mine appears brittle and beginning to break up so I've lost 3 or 4 2" bits, mainly on the N/S.
I've never seen these off the vehicle but presume the black bit is a flexible seal and the bright work is a 'spreader' (I've seen people in videos use a length of string to install/seat this sort of automotive glass).
At sometime in the future I'd like to renew the old seal - it's unsightly and it may eventually create a leak - but at +£110 Rimmers price seems a wee bit on the steep side…!!
There appears to be a sealant mounting kit required but I'm guessing the seal itself could be a standard section product so is it available anywhere else at a more realistic price. Alternatively can Autoglass or the like sort it for a reasonable charge?
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 15:12   #2
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

On older cars you used string to fit screen rubbers but on newer cars the screens are bonded. I'm sure someone will be along shortly who know's more about it than me.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 16:33   #3
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Bonded screens have been the norm for a long time.
The Fiat 128 was the first............. I think!
Old 9th February 2016, 16:34   #4
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

Apparently using washing up liquid to wash your cars can do this to rubber as well as corrode bare metal ,as it uses salt to thicken up the liquid.
So it's best to use car shampoo.
I use this on the windows at home,as I've noticed the little rubber seals on them can go brittle also.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 18:08   #5
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

OK, let's forget the string…. How/can I fix it without taking out an overdraft for Rimmers
Old 9th February 2016, 18:16   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy View Post
On older cars you used string to fit screen rubbers but on newer cars the screens are bonded. I'm sure someone will be along shortly who know's more about it than me.
My Rover SD1 had bonded screen.
Old 9th February 2016, 22:23   #7
johnnybbad
Loves to post

mgzt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
According to Rimmers ZUA000870 is the 'backlight finisher' - x2 sections for N/S and O/S . The black 'gasket' on mine appears brittle and beginning to break up so I've lost 3 or 4 2" bits, mainly on the N/S.
I've never seen these off the vehicle but presume the black bit is a flexible seal and the bright work is a 'spreader' (I've seen people in videos use a length of string to install/seat this sort of automotive glass).
At sometime in the future I'd like to renew the old seal - it's unsightly and it may eventually create a leak - but at +£110 Rimmers price seems a wee bit on the steep side…!!
There appears to be a sealant mounting kit required but I'm guessing the seal itself could be a standard section product so is it available anywhere else at a more realistic price. Alternatively can Autoglass or the like sort it for a reasonable charge?
The rear trims do not separate, the black and chrome / black middle section is one piece

the trims are attached by clips under the trim, so no removal of the glass is necessary

im afraid there is no 'universal' trim to replace it, and only options are new or good condition second hand parts
johnnybbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 08:29   #8
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

OK, that's now clear. Glass bonded onto body opening, trim assembly laid over edges of glass and retained by series of clips/brackets/fasteners around the periphery of the glass - and if you are an unfortunate with a wet boot it's likely a leak via the lower trim clips/fasteners.
I take it that the outer edge of the black part of the window trim has to be lifted in some way in order to get at the clip/fasteners so if the 'inner' black trim is breaking away/brittle then the outer bit is probably in the same brittle state?
Old 10th February 2016, 18:20   #9
johnnybbad
Loves to post

mgzt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
OK, that's now clear. Glass bonded onto body opening, trim assembly laid over edges of glass and retained by series of clips/brackets/fasteners around the periphery of the glass - and if you are an unfortunate with a wet boot it's likely a leak via the lower trim clips/fasteners.
I take it that the outer edge of the black part of the window trim has to be lifted in some way in order to get at the clip/fasteners so if the 'inner' black trim is breaking away/brittle then the outer bit is probably in the same brittle state?
Yeah that's correct, top and side clips don't normally cause a leakage problem as these are fastening via welded posts on body, bottom clips cause the problem due to them attaching via plastic clips which go through holes in body.

Trim is usually removed from glass side not body side, so you don't cause any paint damage

Your trim is one solid moulded part, although the black and chrome looks separate it is actually one moulded piece

Hopr this has help[ed
johnnybbad is offline   Reply With Quote