Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd April 2016, 18:13   #1
DEVYL
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Auto Connoiseur SE

Default Info from non uk R75/MG ZT owners

Hello guys, i'm in need of some information about cars registration. I'm looking to buy a ZT 260 ( there are none in Romania ). The problem is that the tax for registering a ZT 260 in Romania is of around 8.700 euros. Even for a 2.5 V6 the tax is almost 4.000 euros. Is there a legal way in any country from Europe to buy the car from there and drive it on its original plates? I mean leave it registered in that country ( paying insurance and anything else is needed ). There is an option to register the car in Bulgaria but is only 80% legal and I don't want to get involved.
Thanks, Alex
Old 3rd April 2016, 01:51   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old. This may be the better forum as threads get ‘lost’ very quickly in the General Forum.

We do have a lot of members from your country.... but after a quick search none with the ZT 260....

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 05:11   #3
DEVYL
Loves to post

Thx for the re-direct; I haven't seen any Romanian user around here yet ( maybe they are not that active ). Of course there are no ZT 260's owners... i'm the only one crazy enough to buy one, it is very very expensive to own cars with big engines in Romania; thats why I need to find a way to drive it registered in another country. Beside the ZT 260, a LWB R75 it is an option 😊
I want to be in the position of having a unique car in my country so nobody can reply to me "i have the same car as you" 😎

Last edited by DEVYL; 3rd April 2016 at 05:15..
DEVYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 14:51   #4
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Technically, under EU regulations, once a vehicle has been in a country for a certain length of time (I think 12 months if memory serves), OR, the vehicles owner becomes resident in that country, then the vehicle MUST be registered in that country.

At least, those are the rules.

How much notice the Romanian authorities would take of a UK registered vehicle I'm afraid I have no idea.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:59   #5
DEVYL
Loves to post

No such thing here. You can drive a car from any country if u have insurance and original documents translated. The problem is for the "scheme" to be legal in the country from which I'm buying the car
Old 4th April 2016, 10:47   #6
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVYL View Post
No such thing here. You can drive a car from any country if u have insurance and original documents translated. The problem is for the "scheme" to be legal in the country from which I'm buying the car
I can't imagine that the DVLA (the UK vehicle registration people) will care very much once the car is out of the UK.
Old 4th April 2016, 11:05   #7
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly View Post
I can't imagine that the DVLA (the UK vehicle registration people) will care very much once the car is out of the UK.
Quite a few people do this both ways round, hoping that the police in their country will never bother to check a foreign vehicle.

There's even some UK cars running on fake polish plates just to avoid tax etc here.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 11:07   #8
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

A LHD V8 given the low number of V8,s made would be incredibly rare or none existent, as to insurance I suspect most UK insurance companies would not consider a car domiciled outside UK permanently as complying with the conditions of insurance and would void the policy.
More likely to find a V6 2.5 and less complicated regarding road tax and insurance in your country
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 16:24   #9
DEVYL
Loves to post

@DragonFly & @Jakg - the problem is the following : if lets say I buy the car from dragonfly and keep it on uk plates, he will still be the owner of the car ( at least his name written on the car's documents ) , I will only have a bill and some paperwork where it says that I bought the car and have the legal rights. This mean I have to pay him insurance every year. The police here will check to have a valid insurance and the car not to be stolen or something like that.

@Woof - there are a couple of LHD MG ZT 260's for sale ( I don't want a R75 V8 because of the auto gearbox ). I already own a 2.5 v6 ( two actually ). I've also found a LWB 2.5 v6 LHD. Paying the registration tax in my country is out of the question for any of these cars. It is very expensive
Old 5th April 2016, 02:17   #10
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVYL View Post
@DragonFly & @Jakg - the problem is the following : if lets say I buy the car from dragonfly and keep it on uk plates, he will still be the owner of the car ( at least his name written on the car's documents ) , I will only have a bill and some paperwork where it says that I bought the car and have the legal rights. This mean I have to pay him insurance every year. The police here will check to have a valid insurance and the car not to be stolen or something like that.
That's not quite how it would work I'm afraid. I (or anyone else with any rational thought) wouldn't be about to let you drive off into the sunset with a car that I'm still (on paper at least) legally responsible for.

If I were to have a V8 to sell you, after you'd prized it from over my dead body , the log book would be filled in to say that I'd sold it, and you'd bought it, giving your Romanian address.

The DVLA would then amend the vehicle record to show that it had been exported.

You'd then need to insure it in Romania, which to be honest, would probably be the cheaper option for you anyway. There are plenty of insurance companies across mainland Europe that will insure UK registered vehicles. One of my neighbours spends about 7 months of the year in France these days and has his UK registered car and van insured on a French policy.