Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th December 2016, 18:22   #1
AUA23
Retired

MG ZT

Default My new purchase

Just thought I'd stick a few photos up of my new purchase - a 2005 Rover 75 Tourer Contemporary SE. I bought it on Saturday in Birmingham - it needs work, and general tlc which it seems to have lacked in its life. I'll get some more photos up tomorrow once it's here and in proper daylight. It was supposed to be delivered this morning, but the company contacted me to say they had double booked and will have to deliver tomorrow....

It's a diesel automatic and seems to have had most of the options ticked when new - powerfolds, xenons, cruise control, sunroof and hi-line sat nav. Not sure about the sports suspension though, doesn't look low enough for that? I'll get some better photos up tomorrow.

It definitely needs some love, the engine is really rattly, I've ordered a new crankshaft pulley and belts as I think that might be the cause. There is oil leaking into the cooling system, I'm going to check the oil cooler, hopefully it's just the O rings that need replacing. Bodywork wise it's in great condition, but the interior needs a good tidy up - the rear view mirror is on the back seat and appears to have been bodged in the past with loads of nasty green glue to stick it to the windscreen... the sunroof has leaked into the car so it's a bit damp and smelly (and someone has previously taped the sunroof up so the paintwork is scratched on the roof) and the trim around the bonnet release catch is missing. Despite the problems I felt it was a car that definitely needed saving, it was really on the brink and could have easily ended up being broken for parts. And on top of that it was exactly the model, spec, engine and colour I was looking for!

So presuming the shipping company deliver it tomorrow (fingers crossed) I can start work cleaning and fettling straight away, I'll keep you posted on the progress.
AUA23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 18:32   #2
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Nice one, masses of potential with all that spec.

Look forward to watching it develop
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 18:35   #3
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Best of luck with it. My Club SE tourer was an unintended ebay purchase that would almost certainly otherwise have gone for parts, but a replacement door has put the body right, the 2.5 engine seems OK for 88k miles, just needs a mysterious ABS fault found. Still has the tray over the spare wheel! So far as I know there are no water leaks at the back, unlike my 2.0 litre daily driver.

Keep us posted with progress!
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 21:33   #4
AUA23
Retired

MG ZT

Forgot to mention it has covered a relatively low 93k and has a smart detachable tow bar fitted. Curiously the spare wheel is missing and the well is littered with old bulbs, one bonnet catch and plenty of water oh and it only has one key and no service history... but the harman kardon and parking sensors make up for that I'm going to give it a thorough service, I've ordered a full kit of filters, oils and fluids, but will also need a new set of tyres as the current ones looked dangerous in almost every aspect...

First up will be rodding the plenums, then getting the engine running smoothly and correctly (no oil in the water), full service, sunroof drain mod, then a proper polishing and waxing, headlight restoration, interior clean and sorting the missing/broken trim. No doubt there'll be extra things along the way, but I don't mind as this really is my perfect car and will be well worth the wait!
Old 12th December 2016, 21:37   #5
AUA23
Retired

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Best of luck with it. My Club SE tourer was an unintended ebay purchase that would almost certainly otherwise have gone for parts, but a replacement door has put the body right, the 2.5 engine seems OK for 88k miles, just needs a mysterious ABS fault found. Still has the tray over the spare wheel! So far as I know there are no water leaks at the back, unlike my 2.0 litre daily driver.

Keep us posted with progress!
That sounds like a good save to me! It's such a crime that these vehicles get scrapped... My saloon v6 might have also been destined for parts before I bought it, but a little bit of tlc and patience soon has these cars back on the road.
Old 13th December 2016, 10:29   #6
AUA23
Retired

MG ZT

It's arrived! I have to be honest the interior is pretty nasty, everything is covered in a sticky, slimey dampness and theres a swimming pool in the offside rear footwell... something not there before. The rear light lens is smashed and the wheels also need a good refurb. This really is going to be a labour of love, and if it takes a little extra time and effort to get it back into pristine condition then so be it! So the plan for this afternoon is to get it out of the rain and start stripping the interior out so it can dry out. Watch this space!

It's got MG Rover plates on which was a nice surprise
Old 13th December 2016, 11:00   #7
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Nice one. Same spec./colour (and in about the same state) as my 'project' car except mine's a manual 2.5 with Meteors (with less than 60K on the clock but a suspect engine) - haven't really had a good look yet but the front cam belt cover is jammed behind the belt.

Have fun and if it's outside, first fix the sunroof drains issue (it's that p..s poor MGR line solution for joining two bits of rubber - couple of straight tube unions did the trick for me) otherwise you've also got yourself a small paddling pool with A/C
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 11:02   #8
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

I know you'd probably want to remove and dry the carpets,,,but when I had an accident with the matrix pipes and flooded the drivers footwell,I soaked it up with towels and then started the engine,put the heater on full with the aircon(as this has a de-humidifier built in)and half an hour later ,everything was dry.
Good luck with your project.
Ken.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 12:18   #9
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Well done for taking it on,it's easy to see the potential the car has with some TLC.I'm sure it will repay you with many happy years of luxury motoring.I agree with you about the colour by the way

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 12:19   #10
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

The rear footwell water probably came from the front when the car was loaded and transported on the beavertail.