Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd April 2018, 17:48   #1
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Default Cruise control problems or just too much rain!

My "54 MGZT Sports auto etc lives outside (too long for garage). Did a run to Portsmouth and decided to use cruisecontrol- hmm no light on switch, no logo on speedo, no cruisecontrol engagement. I read up all the posts on here, that depressed me. Anyway went to look at the switch situation this morning, pressed button, nice green light, test drive 40miles use of cruise control on and off worked as the book. I have a non-informed opinion in many cases electrical non function can be a result of very damp air+build up of "muck" oncontacts. I hope this is the case but watch this space. By the way is it easy to get at this switch? Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 15:15   #2
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

Try lifting clutch with your foot.. my old ZTT used have to do that do get it to work. I never did fix the switch
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 15:46   #3
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

He states he has an auto'',,I see what you are getting at though,,the brake pedal switch can interfere with it ,just the same,,Ken.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 21:57   #4
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Once the c/c switch is pressed you should still get the light on even though the clutch/brake switches aren`t operating!

Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 22:16   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The switches can be problematic and need a few pushes to turn on. Another thing that stops the cruise button from lighting up is an ABS fault on the front nearside wheel.

Maybe worth unplugging one of the ABS sensors just to make sure the system alarms as it should, and no-one has bodged it.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 01:10   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The switches can be problematic and need a few pushes to turn on. Another thing that stops the cruise button from lighting up is an ABS fault on the front nearside wheel.

Maybe worth unplugging one of the ABS sensors just to make sure the system alarms as it should, and no-one has bodged it.
If there was a ABS fault, the master switch on the dash would still light up, as I had this issue on mine when my front offside ABS sensor failed, master switch worked but cruise control wouldn't engage so no light on the instrument cluster.

I would say if it happens again try pressing the master switch several times as the switches can be a bit iffy. Also I would check your plenum drains are clear and not blocked up, as I believe if the plenum fills up with water it can overflow into the footwell on the passenger side by dripping through down near the fuse box area, and the cruise control ECU is located there.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 07:47   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Rick read what I wrote mate;

Another thing that stops the cruise button from lighting up is an ABS fault on the front nearside wheel.

If the fault is on the offside then yes the button will still light up, but not if there is an ABS problem on the nearside.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 18:45   #8
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Thanks to all as usual all positive- I suspected a switch malfunction as likely with or without the contributory damp conditions. Its working fine at the moment but! Ive read the R-VE carefully but found nothing helpful about how to remove c/c switch or that panel, I would like to replace/test the switch. Thanks for your time, Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote