Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th December 2019, 11:16   #1
cadcam

Rover 75 cdti (+ sad broken cdt)

Default Cheapest and most reliable way to obtain fully functioning spare keys (Cambridgeshire

I have been reading back through some of the posting about obtaining keys and am finding it quite confusing to obtain a firm idea of the way to go.

I have a new (to me) 75 CDTi which came with one fully functioning key. I have now had a replacement blank cut by Timpsons which at least gets me into the car but of course doesn't start the it.

I have been quoted >130ukp by Timpsons, for a 'fully' working key and >170 by Rimmers.

Both seem to want access to the car to program the new key, which makes Rimmers quite expensive re time/travel.

Does anyone know of a easier, and ideally cheaper, option in the Cambridge area?

NB I do have two keys from my previous 75 both working but one doesn't seem to have the full code printed inside the fob.

[ Previous 75 CDT was going well until hit a smallish lump of mud/concrete in the road which unfortunately managed to smash the sump! So probably going to the breakers in the sky ]

Many Thanks
cadcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2019, 11:54   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Drop Big Russ or Marinabrian a PM -they are the key gurus - also might be worth a PM also to Trikey who is South of Norwich - he can also fettle keys to some degree.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2019, 13:59   #3
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Drop Big Russ or Marinabrian a PM -they are the key gurus - also might be worth a PM also to Trikey who is South of Norwich - he can also fettle keys to some degree.
Yep, they are the kiddies !!!
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2019, 22:09   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Take a look HERE
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2019, 03:53   #5
deltic08
Avid contributor

52 ZT 190 Solar Red. 54 ZT 190 SE Ignition Blue. 54 ZT 190 SE Rio Red. 05 ZT 1.8T Aurora

You are lucky Timpson's cut you a blank. They wouldn't touch my blank as it was not supplied by them yet they did not have any blanks.
Marinabrian was not the nearest but I happened to be driving back from Edinburgh and it is an easy call from the A1. Big Russ is your nearest and has also done work on my cars. Both are good guys and very knowledgeable on our cars so pay your money and take your choice.
deltic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2019, 12:46   #6
cadcam

Default contact Phil-T4

Thank you for all your replies, very impressed by speed of response. I looked at marinabrian's link and the nearest contact seems to be Phil-T4, Olney/MiltonKeynes. However trying to PM has been unsuccessful, no PMs accepted. Does anyone know if Phil-T4 is still active or is this just a temporary blip.

Many Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 13:32   #7
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

His inbox maybe full up.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 13:27   #8
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Is anyone/everyone using Valeo cases for new keys? In my experience the Valeo is the only case that grips the blade properly - all the others I've tried are too loose.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 08:16   #9
cadcam

Default Glued (and pinned)

I have used both Valeo and alternative fob cases. All I have glued the blade in using epoxy* , both with and without a miniature pin, with no failure of the joint. One eventually had to be replaced because the button covers failed again after about 5 years.

* Make sure the pocket is well filled, without any air bubbles, before inserting the blade and removing excess. It may not look incredibly neat but could use some black paint. I add luminous and reflective tape on the fob , having had difficulties when one was dropped in to some leaves, so not too worried about looks.
Old 30th December 2019, 12:03   #10
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
I have used both Valeo and alternative fob cases. All I have glued the blade in using epoxy* , both with and without a miniature pin, with no failure of the joint. One eventually had to be replaced because the button covers failed again after about 5 years.

* Make sure the pocket is well filled, without any air bubbles, before inserting the blade and removing excess. It may not look incredibly neat but could use some black paint. I add luminous and reflective tape on the fob , having had difficulties when one was dropped in to some leaves, so not too worried about looks.
Thanks for the info Peter. Yes, gluing the blade in would probably do the job - shame the Valeo cases aren't available any more (I did find some new ones in China but they came with blades that had already been cut, so it meant changing the driver's door lock too!)
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote