Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th February 2020, 09:14   #1
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Default Suspected Heart Attack!

It was Sunday 2nd February after watching the England match I was sat in the kitchen having a cup of tea and a smoke and I had a bit of a funny turn, my head went on the spin.
At the time I thought nothing of it, just thought it was down to the cigarette as I hadn't had one for 2 hours.

Then things really progressed, had a sharp pain in my left shoulder, jaw, felt all sweaty and my head was spinning plus I felt sick.
Then it was if someone or something was sat on my chest, this lasted for about 5 minutes then it went away.
I thought what on earth was that?

Then it started again, with the pain intensifying beyond belief, still wasn't sure what it was.
This went on for about 30 minutes repeating the cycle of feeling awful to feeling fine.
I googled on my phone the symptoms I was having and the first result that appeared had a large red box in saying ring 999, your having a heart attack!

Firstly I thought surely not I'm only 58 but I was on my own so I punched in 999 and requested an ambulance, in fact two turned up a car and an ambulance.
By now I was really stressed but the young lady who I was talking to stayed on the phone with me keeping me updated.
I can't thank her enough for her help, she kept me talking keeping her updated on how I felt.

The paramedic was the one that turned up in the car as they had two technicians in the ambulance and can't do certain things.
Anyway I was given an ECG and asked a few questions, I didn't get to see the printout but my blood pressure was through the roof!

I was able to walk to the ambulance although it took me quite some time as I could hardly breathe and my heart was racing but got to the ambulance eventually.
Then it was off to A&E.
They were busy but not rammed which makes a change.
I had another ECG, then saw the Consultant who looked at the results but didn't say anything at first.
Then he had one of the nurses take some blood, then I was taken for a chest X-ray, had another ECG.
Was given 4 tablets these were to thin my blood, then another blood test.
Then had some different pills, these were slow down my heart rate and lower my blood pressure as that was really high at 203 over 100.
Was seen by a younger Doctor and she told me I would be going to Cardiology Ward.
I had a tuna sandwich and a mug of tea, it's surprising really as they let you eat and drink.

I arrived at Torbay Hospital at about 8pm and got to the ward at 6.30am as there weren't any beds available in the whole hospital until then.

I met this male nurse and he did my blood pressure which was now 194 over 96, so it was coming down but still very high.
I did feel better to some degree but was feeling anxious.

I had breakfast at 8am, porridge followed by toast and marmalade and more tea.
The Consultant Cardiologist was coming around at 9.30am, he was bang on time as well.
He asked a load of questions and requested another ECG followed by an Echocardiogram.
Apparently both were normal but he then came back to see me and said I would be coming back as an outpatient to have a scan as they couldn't do one on me for a few days as they were fully booked.

I asked him as to what I have to do?
He said, quit smoking.
The Consultant in A&E was more blunt than that, he said, if you want to carry on living, quit smoking!

Normally they put you on Aspirin but I can't have it as I'm highly allergic to it which means I can't have a Stent fitted either because one goes with the other.

The scan I'm having is on Monday 24th February, a radioactive scan where they inject some sort of stuff into me and I do physical activity on a bike or treadmill.
I'm not allowed any caffeine or chocolate on Sunday or Monday, so no Tea and I can't go near any pregnant women or children for 48 hours, looks like I'm going to glow

The outcome of all this is I have unstable angina which isn't pleasant but you can live with it if you are willing to make some changes.
I have a pump spray if I get any pain to put two squirts under my tongue, must sit down and rest.

So on the 5th February I quit smoking after 41 years, I just stopped.
I have got a Vape puffer just to help me take the edge off but I am trying to get myself off that as well.

I'm on tablets for the rest of my life.

To think I was doing well as I had my gall bladder removed in October 2019, then this happens.

Thankfully I am still allowed to drive.
They let me go home when my blood pressure had dropped to 132 over 51 which was at 4.30pm on Monday afternoon.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 09:34   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Neil,
Well done, do as you are told and stay off the killer tobacco. You are fortunate that it was caught in time having had the sense to dial 999.
Hope all continues well with you.
K
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 09:54   #3
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

That’s a wake up call Neil, it’s good you made it through but you need to take care of yourself now.
I’m always wary of this happening to me as I have a anaphylactic reaction to aspirin but fortunately I don’t smoke and my alcohol intake is well under 10 units per week.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 10:06   #4
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Good luck for your future Neil, now to start planning some of those things on the bucket list. So, having to take tablets for the rest of your life, tough! you have your life to live, so do it.

Best wishes,
Fred (planenut)
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 10:18   #5
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Good luck for your future Neil, now to start planning some of those things on the bucket list. So, having to take tablets for the rest of your life, tough! you have your life to live, so do it.

Best wishes,
Fred (planenut)
I have been thinking about the things to do on my 'bucket list' Fred.

As I'm divorced one was a trip to Amsterdam, although possibly not a good idea at the moment.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 11:07   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

You're certainly in the wars recently Neil, hope everything settles down now. Giving up the ciggies is a good start. My Mrs was a heavy smoker until 3yr ago and then switched to vapes, now she is looking at stopping that but like everything, one step at a time.

Take care Neil.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 20th February 2020 at 11:42..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 11:09   #7
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Glad you are ok, and aware now, Neil.

On the positive side ... perhaps the money you save on the ciggies will fund your trip to Amsterdam when you are ready!

Take care of yourself

John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 11:42   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Glad you are doing ok, good luck with the ciggies.
Old 20th February 2020, 11:46   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I can imagine how scared you must have been. Good luck with staying away from cigarettes, don't give in to temptation

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 12:24   #10
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
I have been thinking about the things to do on my 'bucket list' Fred.

As I'm divorced one was a trip to Amsterdam, although possibly not a good idea at the moment.
Well at least there's no hill walking involved.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote