Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th April 2020, 18:28   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Post Corona Virus

Having been suggesting the downsizing of various aviation and travel industry areas, I had spoken with a chap in the industry two weeks ago and he has since published his suspicions on the subject. Oddly, and no surprise to me, his statements reflect mine very closely.

This week British Airways has announced 12000 reduction in workforce, four people within eight neighbours are employed by BA.

I had suggested that with the discovery of many companies that remain afloat will be the realization that they don't need the manpower and don't need to travel so much to conduct their business.
The amount of travellers will reduce for the next four years; some airlines will disappear, a lot of aircraft, worldwide, will be scrapped. Some airports survive on subsidies by bringing in lower "level" airlines and that will be reduced.

Security wise, in respect to future idiocies awaiting their chance when mass travel returns and the imposed extra screening that will deter many from travelling will also have an impact.

Many firms that exist to support holiday traffic, the hotels, guest houses and facilities that depend on those attendees, and especially, those communities that depend on tourism will suffer, and they won't be able to ask their Governments for help.

The ancillary companies that exist to support all of those functions either around airports, or at destinations, or event holding locations will suffer.

All, my opinion. I am a lucky old fffffffellow who will not have to worry about a job, or a pension, a lucky chap indeed. Watch what happens.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 18:32   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Will companies use lock down as a way of reducing the workforce even if work load returns to pre lockdown?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 19:12   #3
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Will companies use lock down as a way of reducing the workforce even if work load returns to pre lockdown?

macafee2
I suspect that some may well do so
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 20:06   #4
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

The world will be a very different place when it emerges from this.........I can't imagine many people will want to go to china and do business with them, a) the health risk and b) when china catches a cold the world stops

I genuinely believe company's will take control of their own destiny. Aviation will get hammered - I think it could even be the end of low cost / cheap sector
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 20:40   #5
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

In my view it will be a long time before what we have got to think as normal is here again. The new normal for a long time will mean less foreign travel or at least by aeroplane and cruise ship. No more hopping on an aircraft to some European city for a long weekend.

I think a lot more of us will be working from home for a couple of reasons. The first is some bosses will realise they don't need the expensive office. Secondly think how much time and money you will save on commuting so maybe some will prefer it?

This will have a knock on in the amount of traffic on the road at the ''rush hour''.

The social distancing will have to remain until we have either all had the virus and/or vaccination.

With Brexit and potentially a lot of unemployment could mean house prices will drop. I know pensions are already taking a big hit, a friend was telling me his pension pot has dropped by at least a quarter already and this is not over yet.

All we can hope for is to come out at the other end of this with our and our loved ones health and any thing else is a bonus.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 20:45   #6
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

The aftermath of Covid will certainly change the airline industry and realign it, and air travel in general, to where it should most probably be.The way modern aviation operates has been unsustainable since the advent of budget airlines, which have created a race to the bottom for cheaper and cheaper air travel. The whole movement to reduce international CO2 emissions has been largely avoided by the airline industry as the fuel is cheap and plentiful and as no single country has stuck its head above the parapet to curtail air travel because of the economic repercussions.
Old 30th April 2020, 21:29   #7
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Over sixteen thousand aircraft parked up, at over £75 million each, that's for an Airbus A320, that makes over a quadrillion in value, and not one of them earning a penny. Someone is going to lose out.

The value of the worlds Airbus A380 is over 85 billion .

Last edited by planenut; 30th April 2020 at 21:42..
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 21:51   #8
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

I feel sorry for the young ones, we have been able to jet around the planet easily with little or no worries for the last 50 years. My boys before the pandemic went to Italy Skiing for a week, I cant imagine that happening for a few years. One the chance of infection and secondly the cost will be a lot higher with the amount of airlines going out of business.

I suppose the pollution level will keep falling and that has to be a good thing, I wonder what effect that will have?
Old 30th April 2020, 22:16   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
In my view it will be a long time before what we have got to think as normal is here again. The new normal for a long time will mean less foreign travel or at least by aeroplane and cruise ship. No more hopping on an aircraft to some European city for a long weekend.

I think a lot more of us will be working from home for a couple of reasons. The first is some bosses will realise they don't need the expensive office. Secondly think how much time and money you will save on commuting so maybe some will prefer it?

This will have a knock on in the amount of traffic on the road at the ''rush hour''.

The social distancing will have to remain until we have either all had the virus and/or vaccination.

With Brexit and potentially a lot of unemployment could mean house prices will drop. I know pensions are already taking a big hit, a friend was telling me his pension pot has dropped by at least a quarter already and this is not over yet.

All we can hope for is to come out at the other end of this with our and our loved ones health and any thing else is a bonus.
working from home may be ok for some but for others they like, want, need the real interaction with other people. For some the only exercise they get is the walk to the car, office or the food shop so again working from home is not good for everyone

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 22:31   #10
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
working from home may be ok for some but for others they like, want, need the real interaction with other people. For some the only exercise they get is the walk to the car, office or the food shop so again working from home is not good for everyone

macafee2
I agree, my wife hates it. The only social activity she now gets is on the phone. She is a social animal and to her this is little better than a jail sentence. One of her workmates had to drop some stuff off at the house yesterday they chatted on the door step for an hour with the correct social distance.

The problem is her boss is paying nearly £4k a month for an office that the last months has proved they don't actually need. If he was to offer them all a £500 a month pay rise and stay at home I wonder how many would take it? Not only would she be better off she would save £80 a month on fuel and ware and tare on the car, she would also have 2.5 hours a week not sat in the car. She could also potentially do overtime easier.

What ever happens it will be interesting times.