Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th January 2021, 23:11   #1
tourerboy75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Default White Smelly Smoke from Exhaust Pipe...any idea what the cause is?

Hello,

I have a Rover saloon 75 CDTI Club 2002 with 23,000 miles on the clock, it's been garaged and off the road for over ten years. I decided to put it back on the road and give it a full service in preparation before it's MOT.

I now have White Smelly Smoke from the exhaust tailpipe....any idea what the cause is? I don't think it will pass its MOT with this problem. I put a can of Wynns Pre-MOT cleaner, half in fuel filter and half in the tank to see if this would help but so far just on engine idle no changes in the white smelly smoke emission.

Completed so far: New Wynns engine flush and oil change, radiator flush and coolant change, new fuel filter, new PCV filter and rubber seal, new air filter, I have cleaned out the EGR valve and replaced the gearbox transmission oil. I did have an issue with the re-starting of the engine after I emptied the old stood diesel from the tank via the UBP. (With help from forum members in November it turned out the old fuel filter which was full of dirty fuel, a new one cured the starting problem).

I have read a few threads and some say it could be either be a head gasket seal, a cracked head gasket or possibly a faulty injector or a leaking injector.

I've noticed it doesnt start up straight away, it takes about three or four seconds before it strikes up on the first key turn. Also I've noticed a small smoky haze rises from the Webasto heater assembly fuel burning in the engine bay but it dissapears after two or three minutes.

Any ideas would be a great help to try and pinpoint the problem.

Last edited by tourerboy75; 18th January 2021 at 23:14..
tourerboy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 09:17   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

It can take a long time for unburned deposits to clear from an exhaust. Just make sure that all the fluid levels are correct and give the engine time to come up to temperature and maintain a steady rev of say 2500 rpm for a few minutes. It should eventually clear, unless you have other engine problems. If it doesn't, then start to investigate further.
Old 19th January 2021, 09:35   #3
tourerboy75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
It can take a long time for unburned deposits to clear from an exhaust. Just make sure that all the fluid levels are correct and give the engine time to come up to temperature and maintain a steady rev of say 2500 rpm for a few minutes. It should eventually clear, unless you have other engine problems. If it doesn't, then start to investigate further.

Thanks for your reply,

When you say unburned deposits do you mean with it being stood in the garage for over ten years,could it be the residue in the exhaust just burning off. It's strong smelling white smoke which is being emitted from the tail pipe.

It's not been on the road yet for a run (not MOT yet), but I did use to start it up nearly every month and run it up and down our long 100 metre driveway just to keep the engine and wheels moving.
Old 19th January 2021, 09:56   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Sounds like unburnt diesel so try a bottle of Forte injector cleaner and hopefully that will cure it.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 10:31   #5
tourerboy75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Sounds like unburnt diesel so try a bottle of Forte injector cleaner and hopefully that will cure it.

Thanks for your reply.

Would you reccomend the whole bottle in the tank or half fill the fuel filter first and the remainder in the tank for better results?
Old 19th January 2021, 11:58   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourerboy75 View Post
Thanks for your reply.

Would you reccomend the whole bottle in the tank or half fill the fuel filter first and the remainder in the tank for better results?
The recommendation is, Fill the fuel filter with the cleaner, start and run the engine for about 15/20 seconds this will allow the "cleaner" to get into the injectors. Leave overnight and restart in the morning. The rest of the cleaner can be put into the tank.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 12:16   #7
tourerboy75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
The recommendation is, Fill the fuel filter with the cleaner, start and run the engine for about 15/20 seconds this will allow the "cleaner" to get into the injectors. Leave overnight and restart in the morning. The rest of the cleaner can be put into the tank.

Thank you for your reply.
Will try this method, fingers crossed it cures the problem.
Old 19th January 2021, 13:36   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Did you change the pcv filter too?
Old 19th January 2021, 15:06   #9
tourerboy75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Did you change the pcv filter too?

Yes, Fitted a new PCV filter and rubber seal.
Old 19th January 2021, 18:54   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourerboy75 View Post
Thanks for your reply,

When you say unburned deposits do you mean with it being stood in the garage for over ten years,could it be the residue in the exhaust just burning off. It's strong smelling white smoke which is being emitted from the tail pipe.

It's not been on the road yet for a run (not MOT yet), but I did use to start it up nearly every month and run it up and down our long 100 metre driveway just to keep the engine and wheels moving.
All that running up and down the driveway is what's filled up the system with all that junk you are now burning off.---

What you did was detrimental to the engine though it might have cleaned a bit of the rust off the brake discs.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote