Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th March 2021, 10:50   #1
Leo31

Rover 75 Saloon

Post Wind noise untraceable ?

Hi !

I have a constant wind noise noticeable over 50kph in the cabin and it's a nightmare on the motorway.
My mechanic checked under the windscreen trim (which isn't really stuck to the windscreen, there is a gap at some areas on top) and saw broken clips, he showed me them.

Before replacing the windscreen, I wanted to make sure that the air leak was coming from the windscreen so I've put gaffer tape all around the windscreen trim and went for a drive but the wind noise is still here ...

Then, I thought that maybe the wind noise was coming from doors or mirrors so I've put gaffer tape all around the door seals and the mirrors (to cover the gap between the mirror and the housing) but once again, nothing has changed

FIY, spraying water with jet wiper on the windscreen while driving doesn't change anything, the wind noise remains the same.

Do you think that the windscreen can still be the source of the air leak even if I've put gaffer tape all around the outside trim ?
Leo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2021, 12:39   #2
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Has it just suddenly appeared ?

Has it been there for a while, slight at first but increasing over time ?

Is the noise obviously within the cabin or is it external but so loud that is heard in the cabin ?

Has anything recently been worked on, underneath, in the engine bay or a roof rack / box fitted ?

Can you isolate it to a particular area ?

Wind noise and water leaks alike can be the devils own job to isolate, a good body shop should have an ultrasonic leak detector, if you have one nearby they may test the car for you for a small fee.

It works by placing an ultrasonic transmitter inside the vehicle then using a ' sniffer ' around all door shuts, windows, etc to sense the sound escaping through the smallest gaps, the same place that wind or water can enter.

When you said " Before replacing the windscreen " I would check to see if you can obtain one that will fit correctly, I know there were some spurious ones about a couple of years ago with the curves not quite correct when I was looking to replace one of mine, not broken but years of tiny stone chips and wiper blade area wear reduced night visibility, I got a genuine one from a guy who had two, I should have bought both of them.

P.s. I've just done a quick Google and it appears there are a few genuine ones about, possibly due to garages having a sort out.

Last edited by Ducati750cc; 25th March 2021 at 12:43..
Ducati750cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2021, 12:46   #3
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Heard this mentioned many times, my car also has this issue. I made some rubber seals for the mirror to door mounts, it did reduce the noise slightly, but it's still there at 70mph. If you have gaffer taped the windscreen edges and it made no difference then I'd be thinking the problem is not there, if your screen is not perfect, and it's an affordable option then replace it with new clips and rubber surround to eliminate it as the cause. I'm pretty sure it's the mirrors on my car, but we know our cars best. Good luck with the search.
Old 25th March 2021, 13:29   #4
Leo31

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
Has it just suddenly appeared ?

Has it been there for a while, slight at first but increasing over time ?

Is the noise obviously within the cabin or is it external but so loud that is heard in the cabin ?

Has anything recently been worked on, underneath, in the engine bay or a roof rack / box fitted ?

Can you isolate it to a particular area ?

Wind noise and water leaks alike can be the devils own job to isolate, a good body shop should have an ultrasonic leak detector, if you have one nearby they may test the car for you for a small fee.

It works by placing an ultrasonic transmitter inside the vehicle then using a ' sniffer ' around all door shuts, windows, etc to sense the sound escaping through the smallest gaps, the same place that wind or water can enter.

When you said " Before replacing the windscreen " I would check to see if you can obtain one that will fit correctly, I know there were some spurious ones about a couple of years ago with the curves not quite correct when I was looking to replace one of mine, not broken but years of tiny stone chips and wiper blade area wear reduced night visibility, I got a genuine one from a guy who had two, I should have bought both of them.

P.s. I've just done a quick Google and it appears there are a few genuine ones about, possibly due to garages having a sort out.

I bought my 75 a year ago and the wind noise has always been there.

It's really hard to tell I think the wind noise is coming from the top of the windscreen but I can't figure it out ...

Yes if I need to change the windscreen I'll make sure to find a someone who knows what he's doing. I already went to some shops to ask them if they had changed windscreens on Rover 75s. I'm living in France and most of the shops are fitting low quality clips (which break really fast) so I'm aware of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Heard this mentioned many times, my car also has this issue. I made some rubber seals for the mirror to door mounts, it did reduce the noise slightly, but it's still there at 70mph. If you have gaffer taped the windscreen edges and it made no difference then I'd be thinking the problem is not there, if your screen is not perfect, and it's an affordable option then replace it with new clips and rubber surround to eliminate it as the cause. I'm pretty sure it's the mirrors on my car, but we know our cars best. Good luck with the search.

I agree with you : having gaffer taped it and still having the wind noise would mean it's not the problem but I also gaffer taped the mirrors and doors and the wind noise is still there, so I'm wondering what else it could be

I'll put gaffer tape inside the cabin and give the 75 a ride, who knows, maybe the problem is from the inside
Old 25th March 2021, 16:45   #5
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Have you moved the thumb wheel with the blue and white dot which adjusts the fresh air intake for the vents? It may make a difference.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 25th March 2021, 17:08   #6
Leo31

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Have you moved the thumb wheel with the blue and white dot which adjusts the fresh air intake for the vents? It may make a difference.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

No I haven't, thank you I will do this tomorrow but I doubt it'll make any difference
I've gaffer taped the inside front vents (horizontal ones, between the steering wheel and the windscreen) but I haven't noticed any difference, the wind noise is still here.

Last edited by Leo31; 25th March 2021 at 17:12..
Old 25th March 2021, 19:03   #7
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

I was getting a strange wind like noise and it turned out to be the vent wheel on the rear of the centre console had opened slightly giving a whistling effect!
picky747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2021, 20:57   #8
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by picky747 View Post
I was getting a strange wind like noise and it turned out to be the vent wheel on the rear of the centre console had opened slightly giving a whistling effect!
Yes I've had this issue, coupled with a cold elbow!
Old 25th March 2021, 21:46   #9
Leo31

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by picky747 View Post

Are you talking about the vent wheel pointed by arrows ?

Old 25th March 2021, 21:48   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Check behind the door cards, a torn or missing water shredder can cause wind noise.