Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th April 2021, 08:37   #1
Andy24601
Regular poster

Rover saloon

Default Probably best avoided

I ordered some new rear bushes from Onlinecarparts.co.uk because they were cheap. I received an email and a tracking number and then... nothing. A quick check on Trust Pilot showed numerous bad reviews, mainly about long delays, non-delivery and wrong parts delivered. A few people were somewhat peeved that, despite the '.co.uk' address the company is German and ship parts from Germany.
I have been waiting three weeks now (actually, because of my limited attention span I decided to buy the parts elsewhere). Maybe I've been unlucky and I'm doing Onlinecarparts.co.uk a disservice but it might be worth your while doing your homework (as I completely failed to do) and obviously there is the usual caveats about buying cheap parts online - as Esther Rantzen used to say, "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is"
Andy24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 12:36   #2
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

All too common I’m afraid.
EBay now has delivery times of 2 to 4 weeks because the items are coming from China. It used to be 2 to 3 days.
I’m using Amazon more these days. Delivery is spot on and mostly free.
I’ve just received replacement work trousers after the wrong size were sent. It took a month to put right. One bonus is that I have a pair of new ones to sell that will fit someone else.
Old 10th April 2021, 12:43   #3
victorgte

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Bottom of their website page is the word “company”.
Tap on that and it gives their address as Berlin, Germany.
I have a feeling they are just an intermediary that holds no stock and gives the orders to the best price supplier at the time. Another business taking a commission off the top.
Old 10th April 2021, 13:31   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
All too common I’m afraid.
EBay now has delivery times of 2 to 4 weeks because the items are coming from China. It used to be 2 to 3 days.
I’m using Amazon more these days. Delivery is spot on and mostly free.
I’ve just received replacement work trousers after the wrong size were sent. It took a month to put right. One bonus is that I have a pair of new ones to sell that will fit someone else.
For eBay, ignore the item location, click on the feedback score of a seller, and that will give the registered location of the seller. This is not foolproof though, however it has stood me in good stead.

It also works both ways too, a chinese based/registered seller with a dispatch warehouse in the UK.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 15:27   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy24601 View Post
I ordered some new rear bushes from Onlinecarparts.co.uk because they were cheap. I received an email and a tracking number and then... nothing. A quick check on Trust Pilot showed numerous bad reviews, mainly about long delays, non-delivery and wrong parts delivered. A few people were somewhat peeved that, despite the '.co.uk' address the company is German and ship parts from Germany.
I have been waiting three weeks now (actually, because of my limited attention span I decided to buy the parts elsewhere). Maybe I've been unlucky and I'm doing Onlinecarparts.co.uk a disservice but it might be worth your while doing your homework (as I completely failed to do) and obviously there is the usual caveats about buying cheap parts online - as Esther Rantzen used to say, "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is"
Just Been Reading about problems people have been having when buying online abroad in the E.U. Scared into paying more for items, paying extra vat, having trouble with delays, problems when wrong items have been delivered. Says it all really. I have used Autodoc in the past, but will have to think twice now.
Old 10th April 2021, 15:45   #6
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Just Been Reading about problems people have been having when buying online abroad in the E.U. Scared into paying more for items, paying extra vat, having trouble with delays, problems when wrong items have been delivered. Says it all really. I have used Autodoc in the past, but will have to think twice now.
Its not just the EU, a friend had ordered some parts for his Classic American car that came to a total of £200 ish. By the time the customs had added there bits and a handling charge it added another £125 to the cost. If he had known he would not have bothered.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 18:21   #7
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I would imagine a fair number of delays are due to us leaving the EU and the new rules for customs etc. I have previously used Autodoc and found them to be very good. We can't really blame these companies for these delays if they are a result of our own actions.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 20:44   #8
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

I recently used Autodoc to buy some parts for my Volvo. I waited four weeks for delivery. Limited tracking information was provided but the parts just appeared one day with no VAT demands or extra customs charges applied. Nothing wrong with the parts, but I would think twice about using Autodoc again for this reason and will stick to ECP.
Old 12th April 2021, 21:10   #9
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Also works (or doesn’t) buying from abroad. eBay is now dead for overseas buyers as many sellers get conned into using the Global Shipping Program. This not only delays items but adds significantly to postal costs. Saw a used door handle for my daughter’s ZS180, price £9 - fine, but postage, fees etc added £19 to the total. Found one in Bulgaria instead. The wife buys used books from eBay, or used to, got an import bill for a £2.40 book last week, 1skr due in VAT (8 pence) but 75kr in handling charges, didn’t pay it, don’t care what they do with it. Just refuse to play their silly games - there used to be a levy free threshold of about £25 before Sweden joined the EU - now there is none. Not good for anyone these games - certainly doesn't benefit car owners/consumers.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2021, 21:32   #10
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Yes, the eBay Global Shipping Program is nothing but theft from buyers. I never - unless buying a big money item of hundreds of dollars - pay import fees or duty. NOW, though, eBay is collecting "Import Fees" through the Global Shipping Program. Theft. I ask sellers if they will send by Post. If not, no sale.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote