Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th April 2021, 11:35   #1
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 2.5V6, Mazda Cx30

Default The closing of one door and opening of another.

Did my last night shift for Tesco last night, will miss the people not the company. Did 25 years for the company and in 2 weeks start my new job at Hovis as a HGV class 2 and hope to give 25 years of loyal service.
Long term plan is to get my Class 1.
Old 10th April 2021, 14:10   #2
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 22 View Post
Did my last night shift for Tesco last night, will miss the people not the company. Did 25 years for the company and in 2 weeks start my new job at Hovis as a HGV class 2 and hope to give 25 years of loyal service.
Long term plan is to get my Class 1.
I gave them 20 years of my life at the Weybridge Distribution Centre, as a shift manger on nights, I retired and came out of it very well with my pensions, good luck with your new job.
Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 16:10   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

good luck.
Alas the Hovis building at Southampton docks has been reduced to rubble. Hovis pulled out I think last year of the docks, a real icon building I thought. Very surprised it was allowed to be demolished

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 18:02   #4
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

[QUOTE=Rev Jules;2876083]I gave them 20 years of my life at the Weybridge Distribution Centre, as a shift manger on nights, I retired and came out of it very well with my pensions, good luck with your new job.
Rev.[/QUOTE

I was a night manager at the Colney Hatch extra. Always heard good thing about Weybridge over the years from the old guard.
Old 10th April 2021, 18:14   #5
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
good luck.
Alas the Hovis building at Southampton docks has been reduced to rubble. Hovis pulled out I think last year of the docks, a real icon building I thought. Very surprised it was allowed to be demolished

macafee2
I will be based in Dagenham. I live near Greenford, West London Where they used to have a big bakery and distribution depot now it will be a houses.
I heard from one of the guys at Hovis is that the new owners are selling off any un wanted assets doing a Tesco basically lol. To be fair to the New owners they have been putting a lot of money into Hovis and seem to be do a better job than the previous ones.
Old 11th April 2021, 10:14   #6
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Good luck with your new job. Class 1??? are you sure.. "Never be out of a job though" i was told this 32 years ago and they were right. I use to pull out of Midpoint Middlewitch for Tesco. Morrisons at Gadbrook was and is th better job though. (Mid point 18 is closed)

Last edited by Phil th Barrow; 12th April 2021 at 08:31..
Phil th Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2021, 12:20   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I took my provisional hgv licence at the same time as my pcv and aimed to take my test at a future stage.However after several years driving coaches I was posted to an early morning feeder return and driving down A1 at 4.30 am , every lay by and pull off on the way down was full of trucks.
I thought to myself, that's not for me, stopping in the truck overnight in a lay by, so I just stuck with the coaches
Old 11th April 2021, 14:32   #8
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Good luck with your new job. Class 1??? are you sure.. "Never be out of a job though" i was told 32 years ago and they were right. I use to pull out of Midpoint Middlewitch for Tesco. Morrisons at Gadbrook was and is th better job though. (Mid point 18 is closed)
As an industry they are crying out for drivers but the job and pay just does not attract people into it and its not an easy career to get into, I have had to spend £££'s and nearly 2 years to get it, having to get it around my daily job.
To get around the driver shortage rather than pay the drivers more money which in turn will to attract more drivers, they brought in the double decker lorries so one less driver on the road.
Old 11th April 2021, 14:40   #9
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I took my provisional hgv licence at the same time as my pcv and aimed to take my test at a future stage.However after several years driving coaches I was posted to an early morning feeder return and driving down A1 at 4.30 am , every lay by and pull off on the way down was full of trucks.
I thought to myself, that's not for me, stopping in the truck overnight in a lay by, so I just stuck with the coaches
Don't have plans to do tramping, but have talked to the Tesco drivers from the Dagenham depot and they are on a 48 to 60 hour week depending how much overtime they are earning. I was doing that sort of hours as a Night Manager and on a salary, which meant i was giving per week to the company approx an extra 15 hours for FREE and ALL the related stress that comes with the job.
Old 11th April 2021, 14:41   #10
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I lost my HGV class 1 after a spell of Menieres disease (dizziness). Funny thing was, my motorcycle license was still on my license! I'm glad that I retrained to do something else as it was getting far too stressful due to increased traffic, tight schedules and even tighter budgets! The "other door" that opened to me showed me a good living, higher salary and peace of mind.