Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st April 2021, 17:17   #1
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

Default fan speeds

finally got the front end off and changed the old silver ( non working ) fan resister for one of Jules shiny gold jobs and the de mist test triggers the fan nicely now, however it seems rather fast. because its up on stands for other work didnt want to run it for too long so cant really compare it with the speed when it hits 104 degrees, but I would guess its approx the same. Any ideas about possible muck ups by me???? according to s.w.m.b.o. I am famous for them.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 17:43   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

if all you have done is taken the silver resistor out and replaced it with a gold one then there is literally nothing you could have done wrong if the fan now runs. Be proud of an incident free repair well done

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 18:53   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The first speed, so-called 'Low' speed is actually pretty fast, around 700rpm I believe. When it trips to speed 2, the resistor is taken out of circuit. The fan then runs at full belt, which is very fast. Around 1750rpm. To observe high speed operation without having to invoke an overheat, disconnect the coolant temperature sensor and start the engine. The fan will run at the upper speed. The temparature gauge will also drop off the bottom, but all will return to normal when you reconnect the sensor.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 19:54   #4
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

phew !!! thanks chaps for the info. I was starting to get a little paranoid over this . As you can probably guess I am hardly up for mechanic of the year. 55 years ago nothing was too difficult for a muppet d.i.y. spanner waving youth, now I am delving into regions of car maintenance I never knew existed. Too many years of company motors and leased vans that got fixed by the main dealers, coupled with what s.w.m.b.o. insists is galloping senility.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 21:09   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

As Dave(Stocktake) says, the low speed still sounds very fast, but if you get it on a T4 for a test, it will show you that it is the slow speed.