Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd June 2021, 13:50   #11
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

On a like for like basis, I'd expect any engine to run hotter with waterless coolant. I believe the low temperature viscosity is also higher than standard coolant, so increased cold start load on the pump I guess. Considering the price of propylene glycol, I've always felt it was a rip-off. If there was a real market for waterless outside motor sport, market competition would have reduced the price to 25% by now

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2021, 14:32   #12
oilman

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
If there was a real market for waterless outside motor sport, market competition would have reduced the price to 25% by now

TC

It does not have much of a place in motorsport either, especially circuit racing where many tracks/race series have banned glycol based coolants in case of spillage on track, and how slippery glycol is. It is a danger to other racers and the down time required to clean it off the track is a pain mid race.

It is common for them to run water with a corrosion inhibitor.

Cheers,

Guy
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2021, 14:50   #13
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Well I must admit I'm toying with the idea of putting the Evans stuff in my 190, the belts are due for replacement in a couple of years so I'm probably going to wait till then and have it done when the belts/pump are replaced at the same time.
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2021, 14:55   #14
oilman

Rover 75 Saloon

I really would not bother with it.

Cheers,

Guy.
Old 12th June 2021, 16:21   #15
grs6680
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190

I've heard nothing but good things about it and WILL be using it in my 180 for the sake of £100 the only thing is make sure you get all the water out your system there is plenty of help on u-tube about it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
grs6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2021, 13:40   #16
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

i ran the evans coolant in one of my 75s with a 2.5 engine for a number of years.
Ran perfectly and as a plus there was never a leak of any sort, radiators lasted way longer as there is effectively no pressure in the system.
The other 75s i had at the same time running with Oat coolant all needed water pumps, radiators , thermostats over the same period.
Another plus was i had a look inside the radiator and it looked new inside.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2021, 08:40   #17
oilman

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs6680 View Post
the only thing is make sure you get all the water out your system there is plenty of help on u-tube about it.

This is the bit I still can't get my head around when people are considering this stuff.

Water is the best form of coolant, nothing comes close. And you want to remove it completely... And replace the water with more glycol, that does not transfer heat away in any way the same capicity as water. It just makes no logical sense from a cooling perspective.

Paying £100 to make your cooling system less efficient. Willingly. Takes all sorts I guess.
Old 15th June 2021, 13:10   #18
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
i ran the evans coolant in one of my 75s with a 2.5 engine for a number of years.
Ran perfectly and as a plus there was never a leak of any sort, radiators lasted way longer as there is effectively no pressure in the system.
The other 75s i had at the same time running with Oat coolant all needed water pumps, radiators , thermostats over the same period.
Another plus was i had a look inside the radiator and it looked new inside.

I've run motorbikes, cars, boat engines, agricultural stuff for donkeys years, back to the time when it was advised to change the antifreeze every two years, due to two things, one evaporation of the Methanol as was used in some antifreeze mixes then and the depletion of corrosion inhibitors.

In all that time all I used was whatever the engine producer advised and changed at the correct intervals, but did upgrade as and when the spec was improved, as I did with oils.

Never had any problems with corrosion in waterways, core plugs, steel pipe work, radiator, heater cores, or frost damage, but I saw many instances of corrosion and frost damage with antifreeze in the system that should have been changed years before.

Oldest engine is still running strong at around 40 years old.

I'm all for improving things, if it works.............but over the years I've seen many ' snake oil ' things sold from, stuff you can put in your oil, drop the sump plug and still be able to to drive across an Australian desert, a magnet that you clamp around a fuel pipe or ' magic catalytic crystals ' you dump in your fuel tank that gives you more power and reduced consumption, to the Cornett Exhaust Ejector made by EECO which you put on the tailpipe which drew out exhaust gasses and made your engine more efficient and all manner of wonderful potions and contraptions and still they come.

A lot of them are based on the placebo effect, Doctor take this tablet once a day for a week then come back in a week, patient a week later, they worked fantastic, what were they, Doc, chalk and a bit of sugar.

A quick story about high Methanol antifreeze, a young enthusiastic lad in the village with his first shed, a Datsun, as they were called then, I think it was a Micra or similar with suspect head gasket problems and borrowed my coolant system tester and compression tester, I told him how to do a cold/hot cooling system test and he knew how to do a compression test.

A couple of days later he dropped the gear back looking forlorn and when asked what the problem was said the expansion bottle had exploded but didn't know why, I asked him if the cap had released any pressure he said the cap wasn't on, I wanted to see this so dumped him in the Landrover to investigate.

This car had the Alfa engine, Jap car makers at that time could increase their imports if a certain percentage of parts were sourced from Europe and there was the expansion bottle, or what was left of it on the inner wing, he had just finished the hot coolant test, let the pressure drop, took the tester off, didn't put the cap on, no need to, took the spark plugs out for the compression test, put them back into the leads and rested them here and there one alongside the steaming expansion bottle opening, cranked the car, you know the rest.

He was always full of enthusiasm, still is, a tryer, willing to learn, but skint, so back in the Landie a 60 mile round trip to Mangoletsi in Knutsford a dip into my back pocket as a treat and he was the proud owner of a new bottle, the HG had gone and he did a great job of doing it himself, with some of my tools and plenty of questions.