Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2008, 14:25   #1
eskezz
Loves to post

rover 75 saloon

Default Diagnostic code P0420 (help)

Had my 75 1.8t saloon (03/53) for 2 months now. The engine management light appeared after the 1st week of ownership with diagnostic code P0420 (relating to cat conv). A new cat was fitted back in 08/08 by the prev owner to overcome MOT fail and I have done 1200 miles since fitting with total miles now at 13400.
Been to and fro to my own mechanic who has done a full emissions test (as per MOT) and all readings (CO/HC/Lambda) are well within limits. Have had the light appear 4 times in all-take it back-new diagnostic check reveals same error code-reset and then light reappears a week or so later. Car runs fine-no misfires or cutting out. Spoke to the garage that fitted the replacement cat and they are happy to have another look. However before doing the 200 mile round trip has anyone got any ideas as to the root cause or the way forward. (the diagnostics used would I presume not be a T4). Thanks

Eric
eskezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 14:30   #2
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Here is a generic description:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 14:47   #3
Evansabove
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Conn SE

A colleague of mine has a Toyota Camry and if he puts "Supermarket Petrol" in then he gets an engine warning light. If he puts Shell in the light goes out and stays out. I guess it is worth a try to see if this is your problem. The Toyota forums say it is to do with the Catalytic converter etc. Of course "other" major fuel brands are available.
When I asked my garage whether I needed a new fuel filter fitted at my last service (diesel) he asked where I get my fuel from and when I said "Shell" he said I would not need the filter but if I had "Supermarket" then he would definately change it. Obviously ther IS a difference between fuel suppliers.
Evansabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 14:53   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Maybe it needs a new lambda sensor? I had a new catalyst fitted and started getting the same fault code every now and then. I'll be fitting a new sensor when I can under the car. I wonder if they tend to get damaged during cat refits?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 15:30   #5
Chilljohn
Posted a thing or two

MG HS PHEV

had this with my 190 , if its a cheap cat youll no end of problems , remeber the car has to complete a drive cycle to test the emmisions (about 40 miles depending how you drive and on hte 1st error will only ping up a pending error and no mil light )

after changing all 3 sensors on mine and still getting the error the cat was changed another 2 times but still got the error, however putting a steel monolith cat on the problem went away

Free enable of digital speedo readout on message centre (takes 2 mins)

Free Vis motor testing, via obd port courtesy of my delphi so no need to take anything apart, along with free code scan including abs and airbag message me for details
Chilljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 18:09   #6
eskezz
Loves to post

rover 75 saloon

Thanks for the info all. Looks like a trip back to the original garage to see what type of cat (ceramic or steel) was fitted and take it from there. Either that or a piece of black masking tape to hide the light when it next appears.
Anyone fitted a steel cat and where from and at what price?
They seem to be around 3 times more expensive.
eskezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 08:17   #7
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskezz View Post
Had my 75 1.8t saloon (03/53) for 2 months now. The engine management light appeared after the 1st week of ownership with diagnostic code P0420 (relating to cat conv). A new cat was fitted back in 08/08 by the prev owner to overcome MOT fail and I have done 1200 miles since fitting with total miles now at 13400.
Been to and fro to my own mechanic who has done a full emissions test (as per MOT) and all readings (CO/HC/Lambda) are well within limits. Have had the light appear 4 times in all-take it back-new diagnostic check reveals same error code-reset and then light reappears a week or so later. Car runs fine-no misfires or cutting out. Spoke to the garage that fitted the replacement cat and they are happy to have another look. However before doing the 200 mile round trip has anyone got any ideas as to the root cause or the way forward. (the diagnostics used would I presume not be a T4). Thanks

Eric
It is the catyltic converter. Guaranteed.
If garage fitted WAG000660SLP or WAG000661SLP or another aftermarket type, these are known to play up. They are very slightly undersize so overheat by just a couple of degrees. This is enough to turn the MIL light on.

The good news is XPart have now managed to get a supply of the original spec WAG000660 cats.
These have been on exhaustive road tests and cure the problem.

Hope this info helps.
SKS Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 08:23   #8
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transam View Post
It is the catyltic converter. Guaranteed.
If garage fitted WAG000660SLP or WAG000661SLP or another aftermarket type, these are known to play up. They are very slightly undersize so overheat by just a couple of degrees. This is enough to turn the MIL light on.

The good news is XPart have now managed to get a supply of the original spec WAG000660 cats.
These have been on exhaustive road tests and cure the problem.

Hope this info helps.
What are XPART likely to be doing about this? Presumably exchange foc?
Old 10th December 2008, 08:28   #9
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
What are XPART likely to be doing about this? Presumably exchange foc?
No idea. Not my dept.

I only do the technical bit.
SKS Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 08:30   #10
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Am I allowed to ring xpart and quote that, or will it get you into trouble?