Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th April 2015, 12:05   #1
hortonds
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer Automatic

Default EGR Bypass and Engine Management Light

Well, the title says it all.
I removed the EGR and fitted a bypass which worked really well ... when two days later on the M25 the Engine management light came on and is staying on

1. I'm guessing it has something to do with the EGR as the car didn't dramatically stop/overheat etc, but no idea how to find out for sure.

2. If it is ... any idea what I can do about it short of cleaning the EGR and fitting it again?

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
hortonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 13:32   #2
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

I suspect the light will go out again, make certain the braided pipe is on the bypass securely.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 13:39   #3
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

if it took 2 days for this to come on I would hazard it is not related...
You can check all connections to the MAF, MAP and the vacuum hose being in place as stated, but I can not see an EGR bypass causing any issues re overheating etc, at worse you could lose boost pressure if fitted poorly...

what year is your car, have you the intake air pressure sensor in the top hose, is the plug secure?
Old 12th April 2015, 14:26   #4
cengar
Loves to post

rover 75 saloon cdti

Have same problem light comes on approx 300miles sometimes goes out by itself always same fault code everything in place and tight been doing it for about a year no other problems car performs like a dream just keep putting the light out
cengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 15:18   #5
hortonds
Avid contributor

It's an 04, with everything tight and fitted correctly.
However ... I've just filled it with Diesel, shoved a bottle of Redex Diesel Advanced Fuel System Cleaner in it (I was hoping the EGR Bypass would stop the plume of black smoke under heavy acceleration, it didn't, so I thought I'd see if this stuff worked). And ... Engine management light has now gone off. #confused

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
Old 12th April 2015, 19:42   #6
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Did you clean the inlet manifold and MAP sensor out when doing the EGR bypass. With all the crud in there it will still smoke, if not more so.

Craig
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 19:54   #7
hortonds
Avid contributor

Well,
Phil did the T4 on this (mainly to do the cruise control) and found it was coming from the MAF sensor.

I cleaned this when I did the bypass, so I guess if the light comes on again I will do a re-clean/check connections.

Old 15th April 2015, 20:21   #8
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortonds View Post
Well,
Phil did the T4 on this (mainly to do the cruise control) and found it was coming from the MAF sensor.

I cleaned this when I did the bypass, so I guess if the light comes on again I will do a re-clean/check connections.
MAF or MAP sensor ?
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 06:19   #9
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

Quote:
Well,

If its the Bosch MAF I recall it being quite delicate; so not exactly sure how you would clean in easily; don't scrub it!!

However if you have added some new fuel and a combustion enhancer/cleaner and its gone out I would say that it is likely that using it will make it improve. What type of driving do you do most shorter trips by you or previous owners will have left allot of black **** everywhere. Its incredible how much black soot builds up. On my Tourer it was only after I had cleaned everything, removed the cat and a full stainless exhaust that it stopped puffing like an old chimney!

If performance and fuel economy is still excellent I would say its not likely a faulty MAF.

Other sources of black can come from the O rings on the turbo pipework being faulty too.
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 06:33   #10
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Well,

It wasn't the MAF sensor, it was the T21 Temperature sensor in the intercooler pipe.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote