Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th March 2016, 14:16   #1
Barty

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Front wishbones!!

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

Can anybody help with a problem I have that has been covered by many members.
I am attempting to replace the bushes on the front wishbones!!-I know its a real pain but every ones explanation seems to differ slightly. I have managed to get the old bushes off both sides of the car with the subframe and wishbones in place but for the life of me I cannot get the new bushes back onto the wishbone!?
I have oiled the bush and the end of the wishbone but can only get the bush on flush with the end of the wishbone and it still needs to go on a further half inch. Other members seem to refer this as easy and just push it on?. I have tried hitting it and levering it with crowbar etc but due to the restricted workspace find it impossible to move it any further and are contemplating removing the wishbones - another pain!!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 23:33   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Post moved from the Welcome forum as it may well get better coverage here

Welcome to the Club I am sure that more technically minded members than I will respond soon

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 23:43   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I seem to recall a thread discussing this problem and it being due to a slight variation in the size of the hexagonal end on wishbones from different sources. If you have a fatter spline it will be very difficult to push fully into the bush. I also seem to recall the idea of filing a whisper off the flats. Sorry to be vague, hopefully someone will come along with the help you need.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 03:51   #4
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

I assume these are standard rubber bushes,not powerflex poly ones ?
If the standard rubber ones, could be as T cut suggests,variation in either rubber casting or the wishbone size itself OR I assume the rubber ones are set with the correct alignment of the hex shape to slot into the wishbone?
I know with the powerflex ones,as there in two parts, they can be slid around to line up the hex hole but the standard rubber ones are pressed into the metal housing so hope the factory got it right.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 04:36   #5
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Hi and thanks for the welcome.

Can anybody help with a problem I have that has been covered by many members.
I am attempting to replace the bushes on the front wishbones!!-I know its a real pain but every ones explanation seems to differ slightly. I have managed to get the old bushes off both sides of the car with the subframe and wishbones in place but for the life of me I cannot get the new bushes back onto the wishbone!?
I have oiled the bush and the end of the wishbone but can only get the bush on flush with the end of the wishbone and it still needs to go on a further half inch. Other members seem to refer this as easy and just push it on?. I have tried hitting it and levering it with crowbar etc but due to the restricted workspace find it impossible to move it any further and are contemplating removing the wishbones - another pain!!
I have found emery paper to polish up the ends of the arms first helps then the trick is not to tap it on bit by bit but try to get one big push to get it as far as possible in one movement as once they stop moving they are hard to get moving again.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 08:45   #6
hortonds
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer Automatic

I've one mine recently. Cleaned the wishbone ends then coated the wishbone and the bush with raw washing up liquid. Slid on like a dream, but make sure you wear goggles when underneath cos it drips on you.

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
hortonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 08:47   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

If necessary, file the flats a little.

This had to be done on mine.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 08:58   #8
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Not keen on these jobs now, but my mate who does them said he used (as mentioned) washing up liquid and had no problems.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 08:55   #9
JeffD
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T SE

Did this yesterday! Lol

As mention lubricate with something then once on and flush get a socket which is bigger then end of wishbone and place on bush and knock it on with a small lump hammer. Easy :-)

Also. With regard to fitting arm take advantage of the fact the biggest ball joint arm can be moved around so flatten it out a bit whilst you manipulate the arm and bush into place.
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 20:44   #10
JeffD
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T SE

Just re-read your post and noticed your doing it in situ, however should still work.

Heres a pick of the socket over the end which I just tapped with a lump hammer

JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote