Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th April 2017, 10:13   #1
Kh44nn
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Black smoke

Hi,

One day a friend following me in another car said that my cdti smokes heavily when I pull away.
I have power, no problem there, starting is good and I recently did service which included breather filter and used fully synthetic oil.

Anything that is a standard maintenance fix that I'm missing because I'm afraid the engine is about to be gone. It has 173000 miles now.

I will appreciate Any feedback.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kh44nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 15:46   #2
hortonds
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer Automatic

173,000 miles isn't that much for one of our diesel engines.

The black smoke is probably intercooler related and more than likely the "O" rings. Take a look at the "how to" section for help with that.

While I was changing my O rings I noticed that my intercooler hose was split so I replaced mine with a blue (so that I could easily spot any future leaks) silicon hose. Really easy job. https://goo.gl/photos/BspFdp8ckiqYBhJR9

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
hortonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 17:21   #3
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

I'll second the intercooler O rings. Changed mine a couple of days ago, nothing really wrong with the but when I put it all back together I managed to not quite tighten up the jubilee clip allowing air in. The black smoke under acceleration was immense! Batman would have been proud.

It's an easy fix with an excellent 'how to' on the forum. Give yourself an easy 20 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 18:46   #4
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Another for intercooler rings but also a dirty or partially stuck open EGR, will produce the same results-also under any type of acceleration.

Craig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh44nn View Post
Hi,

One day a friend following me in another car said that my cdti smokes heavily when I pull away.
I have power, no problem there, starting is good and I recently did service which included breather filter and used fully synthetic oil.

Anything that is a standard maintenance fix that I'm missing because I'm afraid the engine is about to be gone. It has 173000 miles now.

I will appreciate Any feedback.

Thanks

Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 00:33   #5
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

As said, either intercooler O rings or dirty/stuck EGR valve.
If it's O rings, replace the originals with Viton items.
If it's EGR valve, remove & clean.
If that doesn't work, either replace the valve or fit a blanking kit (like many have done).
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 09:37   #6
Kh44nn
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
As said, either intercooler O rings or dirty/stuck EGR valve.
If it's O rings, replace the originals with Viton items.
If it's EGR valve, remove & clean.
If that doesn't work, either replace the valve or fit a blanking kit (like many have done).

Hi, is it necessary to change the hose? If so which hose would I have to get because mine doesn't have turbo, so I'm confused.
Thanks

Kh44nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 14:04   #7
hortonds
Avid contributor

Well, you only need to change the intercooler hose if it is split or leaking. The common problem though are the "O" rings that stop air being sucked in at the point where the plastic pipe goes into the intercooler. Even if the rings look okay, they possibly aren't and it's worth changing anyway.

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
Old 16th April 2017, 14:12   #8
hortonds
Avid contributor

Oh, and they are £3.50ish, last the life of the vehicle (unlike the originals) and are available on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEST-SPEC-...4AAOSwyDxXhinR

Old 16th April 2017, 15:25   #9
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

[QUOTE=Kh44nn;2477561]Hi, is it necessary to change the hose? If so which hose would I have to get because mine doesn't have turbo, so I'm confused.
Thanks

You will find that turbo if you look hard enough It's in there somewhere.

Cheers Ian]
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 15:44   #10
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh44nn View Post
Hi, is it necessary to change the hose? If so which hose would I have to get because mine doesn't have turbo, so I'm confused.
Thanks

As said, you most definitely have a turbo (all 75 & ZT Diesels do), you just can't see it very easily as it's tucked down the back of the engine (by the bulkhead).

You don't need a new hose (unless it is split or damaged in any way), just O rings.
The most obvious sign of the O ring or rings being perished is oil around the plastic elbow nearest the intercooler.

When stood at the front of the car, look towards the N/S & follow the big Black rubber hose from the EGR valve, this will lead you to the intercooler & this is where signs of oil usually appear (but not always).

The O rings fit on the end of the plastic elbow mounted to the intercooler (the elbow is held on by one bolt).

Some recommend that the front bumper be removed to fit the O rings but it can be done with bumper on albeit a little fiddly.

Last edited by mh007; 16th April 2017 at 15:56..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote