Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th April 2018, 17:16   #1
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Default MOT, yes or NO?

I've been getting the Rover ready for it's first MOT in my ownership tomorrow, fixing up all the little niggly things that needed doing, rear wiper spindle, under tray, headlamp polishing, airbag light + others.

I just finished this lunchtime my only worry is a dented sill just by the front jacking point and possibly any suspension components that are worn but time will tell.

With a trip to Wales booked for Tuesday I stuck our Zafira on the ramps to give it an oil change, as we were going to travel in this (due to extra space in the boot no other reason!) and it is nearly due anyway. I removed the engine cover and saw a oil leak around the glow plugs. I had a good look and swirl flap rod has fallen off and one of the flaps appear to be spraying out the oil under acceleration.

I just researched on a Vauxhall forum
https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showt...y-and-How-Much
And oh dear... even at 2013 prices!

Needless to say I haven't bothered to stick any new oil in it yet.

I don't want to risk the Zafira on a 500 round trip. So it's the 75 to the rescue but..
With an MOT tomorrow do I risk it failing and then if so I'm assuming it's not supposed to be used unless going to be re-tested??

I think I'm going to have to postpone MOT to next week it's not due until May, I wanted an early mot to give me chance to sort anything, and use the Rover this week. Does anyone know the official guidance on driving an MOT failure with a previous cert still in date? I'm guessing it is frowned upon by the powers that be.

It always happens at the wrong time. I've got 2 lots of insurance and 2 lots of road tax due this month.

Last edited by Andy_with_a_screwdriver; 8th April 2018 at 17:36..
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2018, 17:50   #2
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I think you've answered it - cancel it, you are covered until that date in May and it will give you time to test it yourself and have it better prepared for the test. enjoy the Rover
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 14:35   #3
hortonds
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer Automatic

If it's any use ... a dented sill isn't a failure (unless it's rusted as well), also having no undertray isn't a problem either.

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
hortonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 20:26   #4
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

An update.
Spoke to my garage and MOT is re-scheduled for next Tuesday morning. They are going to get a quote ready for the Zafira to replace the inlet manifold which will include new GM parts just so I know what the worst will be, although they won't be quite as expensive as Vauxhall themselves!

Sill didn't look too bad and the paint seems intact, when I tapped it sounded a bit hollow and tinny but I guess its meant to. If I get chance next weekend I'll clean it and paint it with some dark green hammerite I've got left from my trailer.

The undertray is on, i'd been meaning to do it for a while but just finally got round to it.
Old 9th April 2018, 23:38   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Well done, and I'm sure you've made certain that the undertray will not move.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 23:55   #6
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Hopefully not, I've used these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-...4AAOSwZjJU2K3W

A2 stainless bolts and holders replaced all but 1 of the originals, I also used larger stainless penny washers to get a better coverage of the holes. I coated them all with a good squirt of spray grease. so they should last longer than the rest of it!
The bumper to undertray fixings have been done with cable ties as I didn't have any original screws for the clips.