Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

View Poll Results: Is your 75/ZT still your daily driver?
Still my daily driver 101 90.18%
Have another car as my daily driver 11 9.82%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th August 2019, 20:16   #21
Blackrose
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I think a better question would be, is there anybody who doesn't use their 75 as a daily driver.
If so why not?

Blackrose
Blackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2019, 21:25   #22
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
While I love my ZT-T, it's needed to get me reliably to work every day. When I joined this forum, most people had these cars as their daily driver. Now I'm beginning to think that I must be in the minority, so interested to see what other people are doing.

As my car inevitably ages, I'm thinking that I need to start looking for a more modern, more reliable car as a daily driver and keep the ZT-T for weekends and a backup car. Problem is that I'm struggling to think what I could replace it with that would be half as good; which would on one hand be safe, reliable & economical but at the same time not uncomfortable, lacking character or dull-as-ditch water to drive.

Being a 2004, I would have thought that your ZT-T probably has another 5-6 years of reliable motoring to provide its owner. It is of the age that some preemptive expenditure on things which would otherwise impact reliability would go a long way towards ensuring dependable motoring until the car is 19-20 years old.

As for replacements, there are some beautiful modern cars available. But they will cost a lot more than maintaining the ZT-T. My favourites are the XF, CLS, E-class and BMW 5-series estate.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 00:46   #23
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Smile

I abuse my Tourer as it's the only car I own, as I seldom do more than run round to the supermarket, which is hardly enough to warm it up On occasion, I use a more distant supermarket to give her a run, on the premise that the eggs are 10p cheaper, even though I know I'm not really saving any money! But that, too, is only 2 miles or so down the road!

However, once I sort out a few little items, my Tourer will take me all the way to the sunny Costa del Sol and back, so that should stretch her legs a bit!
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 01:43   #24
hortonds
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer Automatic

My almost 300,000 mile diesel tourer is my daily driver as well as our band bus.
Still going strong and doing approx 30,000 miles a year.

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
hortonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 14:45   #25
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Well that's proved me wrong! Good to see so many still being used as daily drivers. Particularly impressed that so many high-milers are still in daily use.

I was thinking then in practical terms, what sort of bills I'm likely to be seeing if I keep this as my main driver? Car now on 166k with FSH - I've recently replaced clutch, master, slave and DMF. Lower engine mount and hydramount have also been replaced along with the 'usuals' (gold resistor mod, intercooler seals etc).

Suspect there is a suspension issue somewhere that needs attention, other than that not aware of too much wrong (other than chronic lacquer peel issues).
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 16:59   #26
paulonsite
Loves to post

ZT CDTi Auto

Default Daily Driver...

Yep, still use my ZT CDT saloon everyday.

That's 'cause it's my only car

94K miles and no major issues. For sure road springs, bushes, lights, lower arms, drop links (WHY was the same suspension as the E46 used????), exhaust, light seals, rusty rear arms, track rod ends and two wheel bearings but apart from that he's been absolutely grand. Never broken down in 6 years.

And the fuel economy is amazing. Handling too; corners flatter than day-old lemonade
paulonsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 17:31   #27
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

My 2002 75, sold to my son in law 9 or 10 years ago, is still used by him as a daily driver, round trip commute of 30-odd miles. Just over 270,000 on the clock.
Old 6th August 2019, 18:14   #28
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

My 2001 CDT has done 27,000 miles in my 20 month ownership, as my daily driver up to needing a new clutch in May. I bought a cheap old Renault as a runabout while I took my time to do the clutch, and SORNed the Rover for the duration. The Renault is due its MoT in the next few days, but knowing I'll be doing a 100 mile daily round trip for work from September, I'll be taxing the Rover again from September 1st. Why? a)Faster b) More quiet, relaxed and comfortable c) more economical d) turns heads and gets approving comments!
Don't get me wrong, the Megane Cabby has done its job well, and been very enjoyable with the roof down, but it's no Rover! I may keep it for an emergency car, for when my wife's Merc breaks down or can't cope with snow!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 18:32   #29
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Smile

My ZT is used more or less everyother day and more for longer trips, The 216 GSI is likewise so we are pretty high polluters, although the 216 was pressed into a longer trip over the week end and went like a bird 188m 19.25 litres fuel- "oh its a Kseries engine they all do that" Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2019, 18:36   #30
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

My 75 is my only car. I couldn't afford to run two cars so it has to be reliable for use every day.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote