Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th February 2020, 07:20   #31
Sledge
Loves to post

Rover 75 SE V6 2.5

Exclamation

Ok,

Here's the latest news. The rain ceased on Thursday. The car has been running fine.

Saturday was a great day for drying the car. I managed to get all the water out, I removed the carpet earlier and it's drying out.

I left the boot open to purge the stale air.

Took the car for a run and everything was going well.

On Sunday when I took the car out, the indicators on the IPK weren't working.

As I pulled up, I couldn't lock the car. On the IPK I had a door open fault.

I drove home and dried under the piece of carpet up against the rear seats.

I took the car for another run. The sunroof failed, then the power windows and ATC failed. The Hiline carked it.

I checked the plenums, there was some debris, but the area around the ECU was dry.

The power windows started to work, the sunroof works.

I disconnected the battery. The Hiline unit partially works. I can't see the radio stations but I can hear them. My trip computer on the Hiline also works.

I ran the ATC diagnostic and it came up with sunlight sensor fails. I shut it down, turned it on again and it's working fine.

So atm, it's the IPK information that is not working. The door open warning is extinguished, but I still can't lock the doors. The radio info is still not working. Plus my seat memory.

Higher up this thread you guys mentioned ingress into the Hiline unit. Where exactly is this module.

Thanks

Rod
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2020, 11:23   #32
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

You need to check the large black plug that connects to the radio module in the boot, behind the plastic cover in the wheel well.
Old 16th February 2020, 23:43   #33
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

What Trikey said.
The radio module on the O/S and TV module on the N/S (...RH drive cars) are pretty exposed if you've had/got a puddle in the spare wheelwell, likewise the radio black plug/wiring are ever so slightly lower so even more at risk of 'drowning'.
From my experience, after you've had water sloshing about in the boot the radio will play all sorts of tricks before eventually packing in. If you are lucky it may all dry out but it killed my Rover module damn quickly (fortunately had a spare and protem I've got sponges everywhere that have to be wrung out regularly to keep the level down) but I'm not prepared to risk my BM54 upgrade until I've absolutely fixed all the blasted leaks.
If you think there are leaks in the instrument binnacle area I don't know where they come from but as far as the ICE is concerned you've got the Alpine bordmonitor unit/plugs/wiring high up in the dash area but nowhere for rainwater to pool so it'll just eventually dribble through into the footwell(s) and soak into the carpets - it shouldn't affect the seat memory but if left unchecked the first things to suffer are the motion sensor modules (one either side, low down on the interior sills, behind the carpets somewhere around the 'B' pillar

Last edited by rab60bit; 16th February 2020 at 23:51..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 05:07   #34
Sledge
Loves to post

Rover 75 SE V6 2.5

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the information.

Went for a drive today (Monday) and everything was working fine.

The only thing that still doesn't work is the Hiline radio. As per yesterday, I can hear the radio, I can station search etc, but no display.

I can't locate the module in the boot, I've looked around for wires and plugs but zip.

I can't see anything in the wheel well. (Is it behind that sound deadener that is glued hard up against the metal of the wheel well?)

I'll have another look in the cool of the evening. Will post an update if I manage to find it.

I don't think I have water ingress into the car. Perhaps the ECU was damp as we had buckets of rain and flooding.

Thanks again.

Rod

Last edited by Sledge; 17th February 2020 at 05:22..
Old 17th February 2020, 11:21   #35
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
....If you think there are leaks in the instrument binnacle area I don't know where they come from ...
One source is condensation forming on the front windscreen and running down behind the instrument binnacle. I've seen surface rust
on various bits of unpainted metal around there.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2020, 08:24   #36
Sledge
Loves to post

Rover 75 SE V6 2.5

Ahhh, finally found where things were hiding.

If I only knew that's where they were located beforehand.

Hmmm, enough dirt around the cables, I could grow some veggies.

Well, cleaned it all up, not sure of my luck.

Where can I get the single piece rear light seals?
Old 19th February 2020, 14:43   #37
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
Where can I get the single piece rear light seals?
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...49#post2793749
Old 13th April 2020, 23:51   #38
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

Both my 2000 (Cowley built) Rover 75 saloon and my 2002 MG ZT saloon leak water in to the boot. The ZT leaks like a sieve!
I have previously drilled a couple of holes in the boot floor of both cars, along with my dads Focus (the MK2 Focus is prone for water ingress too) purely because I haven't had time to sort the leaks yet. As well as having 3 clutches to change, a gearbox to change, and 3 cam belts to change, I also have 3 cars with water leaks to sort!
Rather than drill the holes in the actual metal of the boot floor, I drilled the holes in the circular sealed plugs and then applied paint - this is ok, and 100% better than all that water from the wheel well being thrown forwards under the back seats and flooding the entire floor pan and carpet, like it has on my ZT/

I have however been working on the ZT this past week. I have discovered after stripping the boot carpets etc. not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE leaks in to the boot!

3x rear window trim clips
1x rear light
1x chrome side trim clip.

I absolutely cannot be paying to have the rear window removed on both cars. So for now how is best to tackle this? I have some creeping crack.
Will the clips break if I remove the trim? I guess even if they do, the trim can probably be sealed back on with a few blobs of sealant? (ive seen windscreen fitters do this when A pillar trim clips break)
Ive got some creeping crack - shall I just use that without removing the trim?
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:30   #39
AdmiralWalrus

Rover 75 Saloon

Hello. It's my first message on this forum. First I want to say how nice is to be here with all of you Rover and Mg fans.

I have a Rover 75 sedan with the same water leaking problem in the boot: just this morning I've found maybe more than a litre of water in the spare wheel place.
Could you please tell me: where should I apply this sealant (someone talked about "Capt. Tolley's)?

Thank you guys.

Have a good day.

Ps: I've already ordered a pair of new gasket for the rear lights.

Last edited by AdmiralWalrus; 22nd July 2020 at 16:35..
AdmiralWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:25   #40
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralWalrus View Post
Hello. It's my first message on this forum. First I want to say how nice is to be here with all of you Rover and Mg fans.

I have a Rover 75 sedan with the same water leaking problem in the boot: just this morning I've found maybe more than a litre of water in the spare wheel place.
Could you please tell me: where should I apply this sealant (someone talked about "Capt. Tolley's)?

Thank you guys.

Have a good day.

Ps: I've already ordered a pair of new gasket for the rear lights.

One of the common leak points is/are the mounting holes for the chrome wing trims. I think there are 6 holes for each trim - some are visible inside the boot, the others are out of sight further forward.

See 8, 2, 9, 12, 13, here - https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001806

The pic here shows the 6 mountings on each trim.

Unscrewing nuts 12 releases the trim from the wing (be careful) and clear sealant can be applied. (Not Captain Tolley's).

The next common leak point is the gasket you mentioned. More clear sealant here is a good thing.