Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th March 2020, 06:35   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

take the under tray off you can look around the underside of the engine and suspension, for any problems that may not yet have developed into something more serious.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2020, 07:37   #12
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I could never understand why the 75 did not have a "service flap" for the drain plug - my Rover 45 had one as a standard fitment.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2020, 09:25   #13
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
does sucking the oil out get any dredges out of the sump that goes to the bottom of the pan ?
The short answer, regardless of the can of worms you have now opened....... is, ....no it does not. Proof if need be, suck the oil out. Take your sump off and have a look. And to tell a story, I used to change my oil/ filter at work over the pit in the garage there. I took the sump off my Montego diesel at around 90,000 miles and it was like a mirror inside. Definitive proof of how draining ,not sucking the oil out of the sump works. I have never seen in a sucked out sump, but would not mind being proved wrong. Any offers? No doctored photos please.
Old 6th March 2020, 09:30   #14
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I like to get the undertray off every year anyway so the problem doesn't occur for me. I have used a suction drain once but had such a struggle getting the filter off through the wheel arch that I decided not do do that again! (far too messy!)
Old 6th March 2020, 17:08   #15
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Ask Bendrick, this is what he saw first hand when he had his mishap.

Unfortunately the dipstick tube wouldn't budge ( yes the bolt was removed from the top ) rather than continue to wrestle with it the decision was made to take off the sump cover first as last, by this time I was eager to have a butchers in the sump anyway just to see how much crud if any had accumulated over the years.

b) The remaining oil was drained out, probably less than half a litre, and there lying on the inside of the cover was the offending article.

There were no apparent lumps of even the smallest grouping of crud in the sump and the remaining oil seemed no thicker and as runny as the stuff that was taken out by the pump on the ill fated initial suction pump drain.

I was pleasantly surprised by that as it is quite possible that the cover has never been off since the car was built, even if it has the fact that there was nothing but a smear of normal oil deposit over the inside of the cover was quite encouraging

Ancient engines, and oil yes. But not more recent engines

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 6th March 2020 at 17:12..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2020, 17:33   #16
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
I think next time I do an oil change may look at cutting a hole in the tray with a hole saw
It'll need quite a large hole because the drain plug doesn't point downwards. Even bigger if you want to get the filter out too.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2020, 21:27   #17
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
I could never understand why the 75 did not have a "service flap" for the drain plug - my Rover 45 had one as a standard fitment.

Because you only need to service the car every 15k miles or annually under normal operating conditions, so far better to remove the undertray and give everything the once over when you are changing the oil and filter.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2020, 21:45   #18
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
Ask Bendrick, this is what he saw first hand when he had his mishap.

Unfortunately the dipstick tube wouldn't budge ( yes the bolt was removed from the top ) rather than continue to wrestle with it the decision was made to take off the sump cover first as last, by this time I was eager to have a butchers in the sump anyway just to see how much crud if any had accumulated over the years.

b) The remaining oil was drained out, probably less than half a litre, and there lying on the inside of the cover was the offending article.

There were no apparent lumps of even the smallest grouping of crud in the sump and the remaining oil seemed no thicker and as runny as the stuff that was taken out by the pump on the ill fated initial suction pump drain.

I was pleasantly surprised by that as it is quite possible that the cover has never been off since the car was built, even if it has the fact that there was nothing but a smear of normal oil deposit over the inside of the cover was quite encouraging

Ancient engines, and oil yes. But not more recent engines

Yup I can confirm this, the bottom of the sump was spotless, a quick wipe with a rag and it was as shiny as the day it was cast, could have used it as a novelty dinner plate if I'd wished.

There wasn't a hint of anything other than a slight smear of runny oil to be seen I was quite surprised and pretty encouraged that modern oils and filters seem to do their stuff.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote