Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st April 2020, 23:37   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Need advice on some garden building projects

Hi all, we've recently moved house and I'm looking at doing an area of slabs, and a shed base. I'm trying to price up things, and get an idea of how much I'll need to order, but each site I look at either gives the weight ie. 1000kgs, or coverage in m2, but never both. Does anyone here have a rough idea of how much area a 1ton bulk bag of gravel will cover.

I don't really want to hire a digger to level it all out, then not have enough to fill the area, and have to wait around for more to arrive. Equally, I don't want to order too much and then have to try and get rid of it!

I've probably missed something simple, I normally do with things like this, but thanks in advance for any help!
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2020, 06:20   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

there are web sites that will convert weight to area or sites that will work put how much you need such as https://www.concretenetwork.com/conc...calculator.htm
I would have thought if you give the builders merchant the dimensions they would work it out for you.

How about a concrete base with damp proof course running through and then building on top. No need to have a wooden floor.
I have something like 15 x 10 which I dug by hand and hired a cement mixer to make up the concrete. I doubt you would need to dig very deep, 6-8 inch?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2020, 23:27   #3
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
there are web sites that will convert weight to area or sites that will work put how much you need such as https://www.concretenetwork.com/conc...calculator.htm
I would have thought if you give the builders merchant the dimensions they would work it out for you.

How about a concrete base with damp proof course running through and then building on top. No need to have a wooden floor.
I have something like 15 x 10 which I dug by hand and hired a cement mixer to make up the concrete. I doubt you would need to dig very deep, 6-8 inch?

macafee2
That's a good link, thanks. All builders merchants here are closed at the moment so can't pop in to ask. Just trying to get a rough idea of cost at the moment to see if there's any way we can actually afford it. Though my wife announced this morning that she's ordered the shed I wanted and it'll be here in 4 weeks. So I at least need to get a big enough base done for that.

At the moment I'm guessing it'll be around £1500 all in for the slabs etc and a load of wood for raised planters around the edge. Ultimately trying to incorporate a railway running from the shed, around the edge of the garden, looping back into the shed, out the other side and along the other side of the garden, before looping back again.
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:31   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

pictures will be expected of railway

Have you a saw mill, not a timber merchant, near you? Buy from the place that cuts the tree will save you money.

Good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:18   #5
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
pictures will be expected of railway

Have you a saw mill, not a timber merchant, near you? Buy from the place that cuts the tree will save you money.

Good luck

macafee2
The railway will be a long way off yet, the track alone is £600, plus controller and wiring etc.

I have a place called Brigstock sawmill, and they doo cut some wood there, but it's not especially cheap, and they don't seem to have much of a selection. Mainly just fencing supplies. However I was looking at using treated gravel boards for the raised plant beds, which comes to £210 for 35 lengths, 3m long, 150mm x 25mm.

This is a rough plan at the moment: