Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th September 2015, 08:21   #1
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts
Exclamation 49.2% Remain

At the peak of 75 ownership at the end of 2006, 98,203 Rover 75 models graced our roads, today nine years on, just 48,317 road going examples remain in service, just 49%

Now we are below the halfway mark, and with numbers declining, due to age, running costs and the cost of repairs. How much longer is there in the number of Rover 75's on our roads?

Comparatively, in the same timescale from it's peak, the 800 models were down to just 30% remaining. It took just eleven years to get from the peak numbers, to just 10% left. Was build quality that much worse then? Has hard financial times forced people into keeping their cars going longer?

Looks like we should be well above the 10% figure eleven years on from the peak of 75 ownership......
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 08:44   #2
Colin P
Gets stuck in

2003 Rover 75 Club SE CDT manual saloon

I think we will always see 75,s and ZT,s on our roads for years to come. I have never known a car to have such a following as ours and such dedicated enthusiasts keeping them alive MGRover was a great marque and the 75 ZT in my opinion will be a true classic in the future.
Colin P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 08:47   #3
Athorpe
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

They seem to be better built than mot cars of their age, let alone the generation before form what I can see,
Build quality is a long way better than the older rovers, I think as as well - corrosion is almost no existent on the 75's
Mechanicals are good for very high milages it seems

There's still a lot of them about the roads of lincolnshire, usually see 5-10 a day I'd say

Maybe though they are just harder to replace, there seem to be quite a few posts on the forums of people trying to find something to replace one with, and struggling. There doesn't seem to be much out there that offers the quality and comfort a 75 does ... Maybe hats why we keep them, its why I still have mine
Athorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 08:51   #4
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Next 3 years will be critical.

I keep saying this.

Will be loads of v6s needing a nd or 3rd set of belts that just won't get done, auto boxes needing fluid and dying, 1.8 / 1.8t heads warped from bad repairs and diesels dying from cheap repairs.

90% of the cars that go to scrap will be imo mechanical rather than rot, with rest being write offs from smashes etc.

I've already got my "classic" example that I want to store (my 2.5 auto Connie SE see sig) with 90k on it, not bad for a 2000 model car, and if anyone can or wants to now is the chance to buy a model and store it for say in 5 years some.

Mine will come out on its 20th birthday, be driven to the classic shows etc only and treated as a rare and tidy example.

I've even a total stockpile of panels and parts for the car should the worst happen to future proof it.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 09:32   #5
kbonney88
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

Thats not a bad figure, especially if you look how many other cars from those years are still driving around.. there seem to be lots of Rovers in general on our roads..
and the 75's always weather well.. they still look good, up-to-date and not "worn out" like lots of older cars. I reckon they will be many on the road for years to come..

I also agree that there will come a time soon where some might disappear due to costs of repairs outweighing the value of the cars.. to be honest lots seem to be in the scrapyards now due to that in my opinion.

I have my 3x 75's now - a ZR and a TF.. and I dont intend on getting rid of any! and will take my dads 75 on whenever I need to.. hopefully not for years to come..

Kev B
kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 09:40   #6
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Interesting stats Rich, where do you get the figures BTW?

Incidentally I drove from Stratford in the East End of London to Gloucester yesterday, and only spotted one 75 in the whole journey when I parked up at Sainsbury's in Gloucester for a quick break

Tomorrow I travel on up to Leeds, so will keep my eyes open for more. I've certainly noticed less examples on the road over the last year or so
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 09:49   #7
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

Question

Certainly in Ireland they are becoming a "budget/scrapper" daily, especially the diesel manuals.
Old 25th September 2015, 10:20   #8
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_NI View Post
Next 3 years will be critical.

I keep saying this.

Will be loads of v6s needing a nd or 3rd set of belts that just won't get done, auto boxes needing fluid and dying, 1.8 / 1.8t heads warped from bad repairs and diesels dying from cheap repairs.

90% of the cars that go to scrap will be imo mechanical rather than rot, with rest being write offs from smashes etc.

I've already got my "classic" example that I want to store (my 2.5 auto Connie SE see sig) with 90k on it, not bad for a 2000 model car, and if anyone can or wants to now is the chance to buy a model and store it for say in 5 years some.

Mine will come out on its 20th birthday, be driven to the classic shows etc only and treated as a rare and tidy example.

I've even a total stockpile of panels and parts for the car should the worst happen to future proof it.

It will become near impossible to keep these cars on the road regarding mechanical repairs.

I hardly see any 75's on the roads anymore, where 5 years ago I would see 3 to 6 everyday.

Eventually many members will fall by the wayside and move on to pastures new, you will only have the enthusiast left with the ability to keep the repairs going.

Obviously some 75's & ZT's will be retired and kept, later to be found as barn finds 10/20 years later, I'm hoping my MG will be one of them.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 10:26   #9
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

The best way is to start buying cheap scrap cars, storing or stripping it for parts and a it on them for a decade or so.

For example my v6 engine that let go. I'm going to strip it down to the bare block and rebuild it with any parts required making it a brand new 190 engine (maybe do piper cams in it also as funds allow).

Diesel engines will be hand enough bought imo, I've a whole engine spare just incase.
Old 25th September 2015, 10:30   #10
Alan123
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

I think I'll be changing mine after Xmas
And I think I'll be goin down ithe jaguar route
Alan123 is offline   Reply With Quote