Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2016, 19:56   #1
KEN BATTY
Avid contributor

75 contemporay

Default Engine mounts

Replaced bottom mounting but still getting some kick back n forwards when accelerating or de accelerating has anyone had this at 90000 miles two owners me and a doctor
Any comment re other mounts are they prone to go or not
KEN BATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 20:11   #2
hortonds
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer Automatic

Sounds like it could be the wishbone bushes. Easiest way I've found to check is look at the wheels when someone moves the car forward or brakes.

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
hortonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 08:28   #3
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN BATTY View Post
Replaced bottom mounting but still getting some kick back n forwards when accelerating or de accelerating has anyone had this at 90000 miles two owners me and a doctor
Any comment re other mounts are they prone to go or not
Could be the hydramount and/or tie bar to the OS inner wing - these support the weight of the engine on the driver's side. Have a look to see if the rubber as deteriorated on these mounts (the hydramount can be a bit hard to examine without actually removing it - it can look fine from the top, but when removed you may see splits or signs of the glycol fluid leaking out of it). Usually, if the hydramount or tie bar are worn, you get a more constant vibration into the cabin (felt through the steering wheel at tickover), rather than the 'kick' you are talking about (which is usually the bottom mount - are you sure you have the right mount for your engine ? - they are different between the petrol and diesels).

Sometimes, there is a knack to getting the engine to 'sit' on the mounts in the best position to avoid vibration or rocking - it involves loosening the two bolts that link the upper black bracket on the OS engine mount to the tie-bar at the OS inner wing, loosening the bolts on the lower mount, then pull the engine forwards using a flat bar placed between the round part of the tie-bar and the bracket over the hydramount - tighten the bolts on the tie-bar whilst holding the engine forward in this position. Then tighten the lower mount bolts. I found that doing this on my car made everything smoother/tighter, with less rocking/vibration.

Let us know how you get on.
Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 08:31   #4
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Just noticed your car is diesel- the correct lower mount should have a T stamped on it, on the rubber part. If it does not have this , you may have a mount for the petrol cars, which are of softer rubber, and may cause some rocking when used on diesels.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote