Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th March 2018, 12:43   #1
AndyJacobs
Regular poster

MG ZT 190

Default What to do!

My ZT 190+ needs some love and attention. I've been quoted about £400 to have a small dent taken out of the wing and some scuffs sorted out on the bumpers. It needs the cam belts replacing and one of the engine mounts has gone so you get a bang if you put your foot down too hard. It could probably do with a proper paint correction as well.

I've got 10 grand which I was going to use to get a new car and get rid of mine. I'm looking at a 3.0 XF as the most likely candidate at the moment.

At the weekend when I was out in my ZT I thought that maybe I should spend a couple of thousand getting it reasonably well sorted and keep the rest of the cash for a rainy day. Am I throwing good money after bad? Or will I be looking at ZTs on Autotrader in a couple of years going for silly money and wishing I'd kept mine.

What would you do?
Old 28th March 2018, 13:02   #2
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

Keep it! Better the devil you know, and all that, and you'll soon regret the depreciation on the £10K spent on the Jag. The ZT isn't going to depreciate any more than it already has, although I wouldn't count on it going up much in value any time soon.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 13:14   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

If you love your car then spend the money on it.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 13:20   #4
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Ask yourself why you want a new car. So, if there’s a car out there that you’ve always admired like a Jag or whatever else and you’ve always wanted one and can afford one, then go for it. Life’s too short.

If you really like your ZT and looking to replace it because you’re worried about the issues you’re having with it, then bare in mind if you replace it with another car, it’s also going to have its fair share of issues with it. May not be right away but further on down the line.

The issues that you’ve mentioned are more maintenance then actual problems. All cars need their belts doing at some point. Costs are generally similar. Engine mount isn’t particularly expensive and with help from one of the gurus from the forum, you’ll get it done for a good price and by someone that knows what they’re doing and also treats your car like their own. Bodywork price seems reasonable. Doesn’t matter what car you have. It costs all the same.

But, if you do replace it just do it for the right reason and don’t regret it later on.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 15:00   #5
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Agree with the sentiments.

Oddly enough I've just commented on a similar situation on one of the other forums I use.

I'd spend the money on the car you know well and like and have looked after.

If, however, you're bored of her or just fancy something else then go for it.

As Rav says life's too short but be aware that you just might buy a money pit and the more recent the car the more gizmos and irrepairable electronics there are to play up.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 15:51   #6
Beena wild
Loves to post

MG ZT190+ 2.5 2002

if I'd £10,000 I'd keep the ZT, do the work, put £5,000 away and hey party time!
Beena wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 21:59   #7
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

So for around £1k, you can turn the car you used to love back into the car that makes you proud to be seen in, and enjoy its smooth, quiet, luxury. Then spend another grand on a tour of beautiful hotels and sites in the UK, taking lovely pics of your pride and joy in beautiful surroundings. You still have £8K left + a ZT people will want to buy when they see the pics of it!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 22:33   #8
NickC
Regular poster

MG ZT

keep it, sort out the issues and you won't regret it. Spend 10K on a new car and it will be worth 3k in 4 years!!! Spend 2K on your car and it will be worth £2k - £3k in 4 years... No brainer!!
My Vehicle DOB :- Thursday, 10th July 2003 @ 11:53:15
It was the 9,767th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
It was the 2,923rd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
It was the 285th ZT in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 661 Royal Blue ZTs

Cost When new with options = £27,785

Also born on this day...
146 75s
13 75 Tourers 104 MG TFs 108 ZRs
35 ZSs
45 ZTs
15 ZT-Ts
NickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:39   #9
AndyJacobs
Regular poster

MG ZT 190

The more I think about it, the more I reckon I might just spend the money on the ZT.

But what I want to do is take it somewhere where they know this type of car, will take it for a couple of weeks and just sort it. I live in Andover. If anyone has any recommendations then let me know. What I'll possibly do is take it to wherever it needs to go and then just hire a car when I get there.

I'm not looking at a 'no expense spared' job but I would like to do things like getting the lights sorted, getting the dash display fixed, etc. I don't want it back to showroom condition but I would like to smile when I come out in the morning and see it.

I'd happily spend 5k on it. I wonder how much that would get me in terms of getting it back to a reliable car that looks the business?
Old 3rd April 2018, 11:48   #10
ROVER2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJacobs View Post
My ZT 190+ needs some love and attention. I've been quoted about £400 to have a small dent taken out of the wing and some scuffs sorted out on the bumpers. It needs the cam belts replacing and one of the engine mounts has gone so you get a bang if you put your foot down too hard. It could probably do with a proper paint correction as well.

I've got 10 grand which I was going to use to get a new car and get rid of mine. I'm looking at a 3.0 XF as the most likely candidate at the moment.

At the weekend when I was out in my ZT I thought that maybe I should spend a couple of thousand getting it reasonably well sorted and keep the rest of the cash for a rainy day. Am I throwing good money after bad? Or will I be looking at ZTs on Autotrader in a couple of years going for silly money and wishing I'd kept mine.

What would you do?
send me a picture of the dents i have a guy who does a amazing job making the car look like its never been hit and its really cheap he said to do my front bumper and back 100 quid and backs hanging off