Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th February 2011, 11:58   #1
bigrob73
Avid contributor

Kia Cee'd 3

Default Leaking Boot Advice

Well, decent weather has finally coincided with a day off from work so I took the opportunity to have a look at a niggley leak in my boot. It appears that I should have looked sooner as I appear to have a slight mould issue! The driver's side boot lining has quite a covering on the back of it

I now have this drying out, but is this really worth trying to clean?

There appears to be a couple of leaks. One is the usual side trim but the other one I am not so sure about. It is leaking up around the rear screen somewhere. I presumed it was from the clips holding the screen in, but the feel dry to me. There is water up underneath the rear parcel shelf which is then running down and dripping into where the CD changer is. Luckily this is no longer being used so I have just removed it.

I dont have a sunroof, so is there anywhere else that this water can be coming from?

Thanks for any help.....

Rob

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gone but Never Forgotten
bigrob73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 12:46   #2
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Sounds like the windscreen clips are at fault
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 12:49   #3
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default leak

Buy some clear Silicone sealer and use it on any areas of the rear screen rubber which do not appear to be tight against the glass.
My leak was from the small section of the side windows which is fitted in the rear quarter panel (has the small Rover 75 badge on it on some models)
application of Silicone cured it.

Last edited by wuzerk; 24th February 2011 at 12:52..
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 13:27   #4
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzerk View Post
Buy some clear Silicone sealer and use it on any areas of the rear screen rubber which do not appear to be tight against the glass.
The rear window is bonded in, the trim that goes round is purely there to cover the recess and the bead where windscreen is bonded to the body.

It offers minimal (if any) weather protection
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 14:29   #5
bigrob73
Avid contributor

Kia Cee'd 3

I have heard good things about this product for leaks.....

http://www.captaintolley.com/

Will this do the trick, or do I need to do something more drastic?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gone but Never Forgotten
Old 24th February 2011, 18:39   #6
rob1982

None at the moment

around the tail lights worth a look?
rob1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 18:43   #7
ashb
Avid contributor

N/A

I thought mine was coming in around (one of) the rear lights. On closer inspection it turned out it was the boot seal, someone has previously fitted it incorrectly and bent the locating groove / channel, i straightened this out and everything has been dry now.
ashb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 18:45   #8
steve811
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob73 View Post
I have heard good things about this product for leaks.....

http://www.captaintolley.com/

Will this do the trick, or do I need to do something more drastic?
I have used Captain Tolleys (bottle in front of me on the desk). It is great for minor leaks such as windscreen rubbers and trim fixings. If your close to south wales I can let you have some! It is not so great where there are big gaps or broken seals such as the rear light cluster seals, get some real silicon sealant (the stuff that smells like vinegar).
steve811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 18:55   #9
bigrob73
Avid contributor

Kia Cee'd 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve811 View Post
I have used Captain Tolleys (bottle in front of me on the desk). It is great for minor leaks such as windscreen rubbers and trim fixings. If your close to south wales I can let you have some! It is not so great where there are big gaps or broken seals such as the rear light cluster seals, get some real silicon sealant (the stuff that smells like vinegar).
Thanks for the offer, but I am over in Norwich, so a little far..... Its good to know that it works.

It looks most likely that it is leaking from around the rear screen clips. The rear lights are all ok and it certainly wouldnt be able get up to the parcel shelf from the lights so I wont disturb them until I have to.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gone but Never Forgotten
Old 24th February 2011, 20:50   #10
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
The rear window is bonded in, the trim that goes round is purely there to cover the recess and the bead where windscreen is bonded to the body.

It offers minimal (if any) weather protection
Granted, however the mountings that retain both the lower seal and the bottom of the rear window trim have clips that pass though the body, items 7 & 8 on this image

this is item 8 which has a clip that is only sealed with a bit of foam

I had a similar leak to the OP but on the other side of the boot, I've managed to reduce the leak by replacing/reparing a couple of the rear screen trim mounting clips and attempting to seal them in with silicone. Two problems with full replacement is that a couple of the parts are NLA and it looks darn near impossible to get them out without removing the rear screen.

The water gets in under the rear screen trim, lies in the gap between the screen and the lower seal trim, then finds it's way through the mounting clips below the rear screen and finally into the void under the parcel shelf and drips though any gap. What I find annoying is that it's only the retaining clips at the bottom of the screen that pass through the body, the ones at the corner of the screen are stuck on and all the upper ones clip onto a small mounting welded onto the body.

What I intend doing when we get another dry day is to seal the lower part of the rear screen trim to the rear screen with silicone and hopefully if I stop the water ingress there I'll stop the leak.

In an ideal world I'd probably replace all the rear screen trims and clips etc at a cost well in excess of £150 but most of the parts are NLA or on back order.

Regards
Jim
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote