Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 16th April 2018, 23:18   #21
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefrench View Post
Simon, how are the older pulley and tensioner pulley?
The same age as the belt Martin, nineteen years old. I pointed out in my opening post that the idler pulley is showing signs of leaking a little lubricant. I will examine that and the tensioner when the belt is removed.

As far as I know, MG Rover does not recommend renewing the pulley and tensioner on a time or mileage basis so I don’t think this is relevant to the issue being debated here, i.e. the wisdom or otherwise of the six year rule.

Incidentally my ancillary belt tensioner pulley had some play so I am renewing it.

Thank you for posting a serious question which will be useful to all.

Simon
Old 17th April 2018, 03:03   #22
ozrover
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I had the timing belts changed on my 2004 75 this week. 55923 miles, first timing belt change. The mechanic remarked that the belt was still in stellar condition and the teeth very healthy.

I was worried it would fall apart at any moment and rip engine. I guess hard to tell with these things. Replaced with a Dayco belt as I was told that the OEM timing belts have been boxed for 14 years.
Old 17th April 2018, 06:26   #23
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundsman Willie View Post
Sorry, but you can't really accuse another member of "indulging in character assassinations" when your first post in this topic included:
"I'm also really looking forward to reading the tantrum which will no doubt be posted by a certain well known trader in the club quoting some fantastic and complex theory alleging that this belt was about to break into a thousand pieces if I had left it just one more day! "
Seeing as you quite blatantly baited him, you can't really order him to stop contributing in your threads either
That was my thoughts too, pathetic behaviour in my opinion and totally unnecessary and brings this forum into disrepute yet again with these silly baiting remarks. As for leaving belts etc for this length of time is madness and you’ve been very fortunate Simon and in a way you’re advocating others to follow your example which is the wrong impression to give to other members. Finally Brian is correct, the stripes are a result of the teeth bottoming out on the belt and only a matter of time before it weakened enough to snap
Old 17th April 2018, 06:38   #24
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
my reputation as a helpful and polite member of this forum, simply because I hold a different view on some matters. Sometimes enough is enough and this is one of those occasions. Bullies, or keyboard warriors like Brian, should be challenged.

Simon
I haven't read previous threads as I only own diesels, however in this thread you are not coming across as a polite member but seem to be baiting a forum trader who has helped hundreds of forum members. I also wouldn't describe you as helpful, advocating skimping on servicing or extending service intervals just because your engine has been OK doing it.

2001 Connie SE Raven Black, CDT - scrapped
2004 ZT-T+ XPG, 1.8T - sold
2002 ZT+ Biomorphic Supertallic #2 of 10, CDT - sold
2004 ZT-T+ Goodwood Aquamarine, CDT - sold
2004 BMW 320d
Old 17th April 2018, 06:56   #25
tommy15

mg zt

Pathetic! why do we have to slag each other off all the time?
Old 17th April 2018, 07:04   #26
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy15 View Post
Well said that man
Old 17th April 2018, 07:35   #27
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
As for leaving belts etc for this length of time is madness and you’ve been very fortunate Simon ..
Show me some evidence please Les to support this.
Quote:
.. and in a way you’re advocating others to follow your example ...
That's just the interpretation you have chosen to make Les. I am presenting the facts as I find them and putting forward the arguments. It is up to every member to make up their own mind. Most choose to ignore the facts and follow a kind of religious fervour!
Quote:
... Brian is correct, the stripes are a result of the teeth bottoming out on the belt and only a matter of time before it weakened enough to snap
There has already been one post pointing out that a belt changed within the six year period also had those stripes present [post no. 8], so if they are an indication of excessive wear then MG Rover's guidance is dangerously wrong. Of course it isn't, because my belts (and those on other cars) have lasted in excess of 6 years without a problem.
Also, how do you know that Brian's claim about the stripes is correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyB View Post
I haven't read previous threads ...
I recommend that you do Gordon. Then you will see that Brian has made a habit of "baiting" me on virtually every occasion that I post. This is because I happen not to just accept what he says without question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Well said that man
Tommy and Simon,

We don't, of course. To get the full picture, you both need to look at Brian's historic campaign against me (and I'm by no means his first victim), as expained to Gordon above.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 17th April 2018 at 07:43..
Old 17th April 2018, 09:07   #28
Doc Evil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Classic Saloon

I have read this post with horror and has brought me to make a post, something I don't do much these days
Rover and Belt manufacturers specify belt replacement at a designated interval being both mileage and time dependent, this period is based on many tested to destruction belts and engines before arriving at a service life interval that they are happy to guarantee this has a built in safeguard so if a service interval is missed by a couple of thousands miles or a few months the belt won't evaporate in a puff of smoke .
There are many criteria to the life of any component on an engine, hard and fast puts a strain on these and shortens its life, driving like Miss Daisy and never taking the engine over 2000 rpm will prolong its "typical " expected life.
However these companies spend big bucks on arriving at the Service Life figure and its there for a reason
Would any of us fly to our favourite holiday resort on a plane that has not had a component changed at the correct interval because the Engineer knows it will last three times longer than the stated replacement interval, in fact it would probably last ten times it's expected working life but planes cannot coast to the nearest layby if something goes wrong, instead people die as it falls out of the sky
Maintenance schedules are there for a reason to make the piece of equipment as reliable and trouble free as possible and to give it a level of planned longevity
To advocate disregarding these carefully derived service intervals is "dancing with the devil"
My son had first-hand experience with a timing belt that was way below the mileage interval but the time interval had lapsed, the failure was inevitable engine replacement no other components failed no other attributed cause other than the belt which on examination would appear to me to have started at the zebra stripe at its thinnest point splitting u ntill the loose end caught before peeling back not unlike a stick of celery
Would you really advocate leaving a timing belt 19 years? My advice and any Mechanical Engineer worth his salt would advocate change at the specific interval
Old 17th April 2018, 09:57   #29
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

I have no wish to get involved in any discussion about what's right & what's wrong.

What I will say is that the timing belt (full kit & water pump where required) is one of the very first jobs I have always done on any car (with a belt driven engine) that I've purchased irrespective of history.
This is more about me knowing that It's been done & to my standards than anything else.
I'm fortunate to have been in the motor trade for over 45yrs & still going strong so I'm able to do all my own repairs.
Old 17th April 2018, 10:08   #30
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I like timing chains!