Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th July 2022, 21:10   #1
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Parking sounder not working after ignition off

Hi all,

I have a spot of bother with my Connie SE. It is an 02 plate, and I think was built in August 2001. It has parking sensors and the sounder in the parcel shelf.

I had a faulty sensor, which I identified and replaced using TOAF. But I have now observed that when the ignition goes off, the sounder stops working (for the next time I turn it on). If I open TOAF, go to PDC, then press Save, the sounder starts working! But only until I turn the ignition off!

When it works, the entire system works perfectly. When it doesn't work,sticking the car in R doesn't make a sound (no long beep, as you would expect with a faulty sensor).

So I suspect something is broken in the PDC control unit, perhaps the nonvolatile memory? Or would an issue with the sounder cause this? Or something else? I am at a loss as to what I should try next.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2022, 08:24   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Are you sure you haven't changed anything when using TOAF?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2022, 19:51   #3
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

To be perfectly honest, no!

I actually looked at this on two separate occasions. The first, when changing the sensor, I noticed that the live data looked good, but the sounder wasn't working. Then I tried flipping the sounder setting (gong or loudspeaker). And it started working. I thought it was good. But next time I drove, it didn't work. And now I managed to conclude that the act of pressing 'save', regardless of changing anything, fixes it!

If I try the other sounder setting, I hear a faint dull buzz, like it isn't sounding properly. This makes sense, since I believe my car has a parcel shelf sounder, rather than the IPK one.

Anyone got a note of the default settings for all the PDC options, just in case?
Old 11th July 2022, 20:10   #4
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Ah, typical... At first I couldn't find anyone with the problem. But now,it has happened to three other people! Sadly, no resolution.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...8&postcount=13
Old 22nd July 2022, 20:45   #5
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

OK, quick follow up. I found a couple more threads on here with the same issue, but sadly no resolution.

I took apart the loom and parking ecu in the boot. All looked fine (not wet!).

I discovered that if I unplug and re-plug the sensors, then they work (until power off). So it is nothing to do with me pressing Save in Toaf.

Then I had a brainwave. The reason for me messing on in the first place was because I had a broken sensor, which I was replacing with a new one. Toaf is useful for this.

I removed my new sensor and powered off/on. Now I get the immediate long error beep when I select reverse. Good!

I replaced the sensor with another I had lying around. And now it works across power off/on!

So my replacement sensor must have been a bit iffy. It works, but stops the system working at the initial power up. Lord knows why.

Just thought I would update here for completeness.