Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th April 2024, 16:25   #1
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur, MG TF 80th Anniversary

Default Uneven brake disc wear - one side only

Hi all,

As per the title, I was swapping my Summer wheels back on yesterday and noticed that my drivers side front brake disc had worn unevenly on the inside face, as though the pad had only been making contact on about 2/3 of the disc on that side, leaving a slight but noticeable ridge / lip.

Other braking surfaces all fine.

My current provisional diagnosis is the pad probably sticking in the caliper, since the piston seems to be working as the pads are obviously acting on part of the disc. Does that seem sensible? It's probably worth cleaning and re-greasing the sliders as well.

I'll get to that pending better weather.

Secondly, if it is the pad can I free it off, clean & grease and leave it there? Will they progressively wear in more evenly or do I need to replace the pad(s) / disc(s)?
TomTheTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2024, 18:31   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTheTyke View Post
My current provisional diagnosis is the pad probably sticking in the caliper ... Does that seem sensible?
It could be, yes. The castings corrode readily. Yesterday I wire brushed and greased my OSR caliper after noticing the aroma of overheating brake linings when refilling with fuel.
Quote:
... if it is the pad can I free it off, clean & grease and leave it there?
You'll need to make that judgement after examining the friction material's condition Tom. The same goes for the disc.

Simon
Old 7th April 2024, 19:00   #3
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Thanks Simon.

The disc doesn't seem too bad, as I said the lip/ridge is slight but noticeable. I would therefore hope still serviceable.

Fair point on the friction material. Hopefully I'll get to it one night this week now we have the light for longer.
Old 8th April 2024, 07:43   #4
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

As a DIY amateur on my 06 CDTi I have replaced all of my brake calipers. 2 new on the rear (£30 each) and s/h on the front as a quick cheap way (eg £20) to get going.

As strictly DIY amateur approach I work on the basis that due to age the piston gets dirty and will stick. So I constantly check each wheel for heat after driving or look for more road dirt than other wheels.
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2024, 17:59   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Thanks Simon.

The disc doesn't seem too bad, as I said the lip/ridge is slight but noticeable. I would therefore hope still serviceable.

Fair point on the friction material. Hopefully I'll get to it one night this week now we have the light for longer.
If the calipers are sticking due to dirt ,then you can almost guarantee that the insides of the calipers are filthy. Dirt and swarf and alloy accumulates throughout the system and fluid over time. I would think the fluid needs fully changing and it is the most important aspect of brakes maintenance. Once done i bet you will have a good run of free easy working brakes ,after you have done your cleaning and inspections of the caliper/carriers functions ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2024, 18:25   #6
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Thanks for the advice all.

Fluid is well within its' 2 year life, having only been replaced in July of last year according to my records. This was when I replaced rear discs and pads. Fronts were done (also by me so the below is no doubt my error) in May 2022.

I did have the brake apart and inspect yesterday. I think the inner pad itself may not have been fully clipped into the piston, one of the three 'prongs' I think was not seated properly, and it tried to pop back out again as I replaced the pad. I think this may have been causing it to contact the disc when running and wear unevenly, but only on the small section where the pad was 'sticking out.'

Anyway, there is plenty of meat left on pad and disc, all are now clipped in properly, cleaned and regreased so I'll keep an eye on it from here.

See photos:

https://ibb.co/4YcpyY1

https://ibb.co/YNJCgVK

Last edited by TomTheTyke; 9th April 2024 at 18:28..