Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2021, 12:57   #1
paulh260260
Avid contributor
 
Gold Rover 75 connie se 2.5 Petrol and 02 Silver Connie V6 Petrol BRG 04 Connie 2.5 V6

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MANCHESTER
Posts: 160
Thanks: 91
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Default Key fob not opening passenger door but locking it

Guys

As the title says my keyfob opens all doors on my '04 pre-facelift connie, except the passenger door although it does close and lock it.

The passenger door does not respond to the buttons under the handbrake either.

Although there is no action when I want the door to open it still sounds like something is clicking inside the door.

I have an '05 facelift connie as a donor car so I've taken off the door card ready to remove and swap out the relevant items so...

What should I remove to swap out and sort out the door on my daily 75 ( I'm hoping to avoid trying to remove the whole locking mechanism)

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by paulh260260; 11th May 2021 at 13:16..
paulh260260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 13:44   #2
Rogue
I really should get out more.......
 
Rogue's Avatar
 
75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Join Date: May 2017
Location: Thorpe St Andrew, Norwich
Posts: 2,215
Thanks: 1,133
Thanked 914 Times in 669 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh260260 View Post
Guys

As the title says my keyfob opens all doors on my '04 pre-facelift connie, except the passenger door although it does close and lock it.

The passenger door does not respond to the buttons under the handbrake either.

Although there is no action when I want the door to open it still sounds like something is clicking inside the door.

I have an '05 facelift connie as a donor car so I've taken off the door card ready to remove and swap out the relevant items so...

What should I remove to swap out and sort out the door on my daily 75 ( I'm hoping to avoid trying to remove the whole locking mechanism)

Cheers

Paul
Sounds like the actuator has gone weak... just need a new one and little hands
__________________

Glutton for punishment ---2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rogue For This Useful Post:
Old 11th May 2021, 13:59   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home
 
roverbarmy's Avatar
 
1999 Cowley V6 Auto Zircon Silver

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East Norfolk
Posts: 5,715
Thanks: 553
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,239 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Sounds like the actuator has gone weak... just need a new one and little hands
............. and lots of Elastoplasts!
__________________
Oil in my veins!
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roverbarmy For This Useful Post:
Old 11th May 2021, 15:02   #4
paulh260260
Avid contributor
 
Gold Rover 75 connie se 2.5 Petrol and 02 Silver Connie V6 Petrol BRG 04 Connie 2.5 V6

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MANCHESTER
Posts: 160
Thanks: 91
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
............. and lots of Elastoplasts!
Cheers

So what is the actuator and where is it? I'm guessing from the comments about elastoplasts it's difficult to get at!!

Is it the item that seems to be behind the metal of the door and attached by three torx screws to the striker end of the door, looking at the Rimmers site it refers to a Latch Assembly is this it?

And more importantly is it the same item on an '04 facelift ( the donor car) as an 04 pre facelift?

Paul

Last edited by paulh260260; 11th May 2021 at 15:12..
paulh260260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 15:22   #5
Lee T
Gets stuck in
 
Lee T's Avatar
 
MG ZT

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 564
Thanks: 145
Thanked 176 Times in 144 Posts
Default

Yes the part held by the 3 torx, door card off get a torch and unplug the actuator,1st then remove the torx. when removing the actuator you will find there is a thin metal bar that makes it difficult, there is a bolt at the lower end of the bar which you can remove and shift the bar back gently to allow for easier removal. Then reverse the process refit the torx and then the plug. And yes the part from the donor car is the same.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lee T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee T For This Useful Post:
Old 11th May 2021, 15:44   #6
paulh260260
Avid contributor
 
Gold Rover 75 connie se 2.5 Petrol and 02 Silver Connie V6 Petrol BRG 04 Connie 2.5 V6

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MANCHESTER
Posts: 160
Thanks: 91
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Yes the part held by the 3 torx, door card off get a torch and unplug the actuator,1st then remove the torx. when removing the actuator you will find there is a thin metal bar that makes it difficult, there is a bolt at the lower end of the bar which you can remove and shift the bar back gently to allow for easier removal. Then reverse the process refit the torx and then the plug. And yes the part from the donor car is the same.
Cheers Lee
paulh260260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 10:40   #7
paulh260260
Avid contributor
 
Gold Rover 75 connie se 2.5 Petrol and 02 Silver Connie V6 Petrol BRG 04 Connie 2.5 V6

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MANCHESTER
Posts: 160
Thanks: 91
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Default Still struggling

I'm sure when I figure out how to remove this thing it will be easy the next time however after an hour on and off ,pushing and pulling the handle control rod and still I can't get anything to to move.

I've tried moving the top part where it connects to the door latch but I don't know whether to pull or push and which way.

The same applies to the bottom clip which has a screwed in part. I don't want to use brute force and break it so..

What EXACTLY should I be doing?

Paul
paulh260260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 11:36   #8
Lee T
Gets stuck in
 
Lee T's Avatar
 
MG ZT

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 564
Thanks: 145
Thanked 176 Times in 144 Posts
Default

There is a steel bar connected to the actuator that feeds to the exterior door handle, it fits into a plastic clip on the actuator and is removed by pulling it towards the outer skin of the door. There is also a bar that goes into a white clip, the clip pops open to release the bar. Makes sure the clip is fully closed when refitting and check the exterior handle works correctly before refitting the door card, if it doesn't then reopen the white clip and push the bar upwards then close the clip whilst pushing the bar up. there's a. cable that feeds to the interior door handle, that needs to be disconnected at the handle end and swapped over to the new actuator once the old one is out. You will see a plastic flap where the cable enters the actuator, pop it open with a small screwdriver and it will be obvious how to remove the cable. Fit the cable to the new actuator before refitting to the car. If your struggles continue PM me and I can call you and talk you through it, It is easy once you have done it
Good luck. Lee.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Lee T; 13th May 2021 at 11:57..
Lee T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 12:38   #9
paulh260260
Avid contributor
 
Gold Rover 75 connie se 2.5 Petrol and 02 Silver Connie V6 Petrol BRG 04 Connie 2.5 V6

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MANCHESTER
Posts: 160
Thanks: 91
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
There is a steel bar connected to the actuator that feeds to the exterior door handle, it fits into a plastic clip on the actuator and is removed by pulling it towards the outer skin of the door. There is also a bar that goes into a white clip, the clip pops open to release the bar. Makes sure the clip is fully closed when refitting and check the exterior handle works correctly before refitting the door card, if it doesn't then reopen the white clip and push the bar upwards then close the clip whilst pushing the bar up. there's a. cable that feeds to the interior door handle, that needs to be disconnected at the handle end and swapped over to the new actuator once the old one is out. You will see a plastic flap where the cable enters the actuator, pop it open with a small screwdriver and it will be obvious how to remove the cable. Fit the cable to the new actuator before refitting to the car. If your struggles continue PM me and I can call you and talk you through it, It is easy once you have done it
Good luck. Lee.
Hi Lee

I've given up for a while as I've got a gash in my arm from fiddling with this thing.

Still confused as to which bar is which and which clip is which.

The first bar you mention..is that the one with a 1 inch white clip at the bottom through which a threaded portion of the bar passes? If so I've tried pushing the bar at the bottom towards the outer panel but it wont budge and RAVE warns against breaking this clip ( if its the right one).

This bar also has a white connector at the top end which I presume connects to the door handle mechanism, the photos I've seen on the forum suggest I remove the bar from this clip but again nothing moves when i push the bar toward either the outer panel, the inner panel or the edge where the strike plate is.

Cheers

Paul
paulh260260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 12:46   #10
Lee T
Gets stuck in
 
Lee T's Avatar
 
MG ZT

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 564
Thanks: 145
Thanked 176 Times in 144 Posts
Default

You have a PM.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lee T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2020, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd