Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th April 2022, 02:23   #13601
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC ROEWE View Post
. Ahh Rich your making me homesick, I plan to ship the 750 out of China in July if the lockdowns are over, so will miss all the events this year. Bring your ZT over to Ladysmith for Brits On The Beach this July, it would be good to meet up.
I have been over for Brits on the Beach a couple of times over the years but have a wedding in Kelowna this year so I won't be able to make it. Too bad as it's always a good show although the ferry fare makes it an expensive trip. Maybe next year.
Old 30th April 2022, 15:27   #13602
Andy24601
Regular poster

Rover saloon

Default Horns not working

So...
Wife and daughter go for a walk. It starts raining. I tear myself away from Sunday afternoon Columbo and decide to go and pick them up. Having located them, I sound the horn, which doesn't work. I then have to open the window and yell at them like some desperate curb-crawler.
Obviously, when I get home I don't start the arduous flow diagram of misery involving removing fuse covers, bumpers etc. because it's raining and I still have a good 45 minutes of a Columbo episode to watch.
When I do start taking everything apart the it soon becomes apparent that one horn is plugged in and the other isn't. When I follow the wire from the horn that is plugged in I find an unconnected grey plastic plug and the connector plug for the other horn. How odd... further inspection reveals that the plug for the horns (plus bonnet open detect) has detached itself - Reattaching the plug means horn operation is resumed.
Things I have failed to mention:
The horn is a permanently live circuit. If you start ferreting round in the fuse panel under the glove box then pressing the horn button should make the relay there click (you can definitely hear it when you press the button). If suspicious, then pull one of the other four relays next to it and play swapsie - someone has said these are soldered in but this wasn't the case in my face-lift model.
Don't assume your horns are faulty. Don't go on Amazon and order new Hella horns as these won't have the same connectors and will feel flimsy and insubstantial compared with the original items (ask me how I know). Instead just connect the original horns directly to the battery - if they make you jump out of your skin and annoy the neighbours then you know they are okay.
Ignore your next-door neighbour when they start making hilarious comments about the fact that you've got the bumper off again - they are merely jealous that they didn't buy a piece of British motoring history when prices were low and that their Vauxhall Mokka is capable of more than twice or three times the 17 miles to the gallon you get.
Happy motoring.
Andy24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2022, 18:06   #13603
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

You mean you don't have duel air horns to make the neighbors have to change their underwear ?? I find them essential for drive side commentators ...
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2022, 21:52   #13604
Bazzateer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy24601 View Post
Having located them, I sound the horn, which doesn't work.
But if it doesn't work you can't have sounded the horn.............
Old 1st May 2022, 20:18   #13605
YorkshireDave
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

So not today and not me.
Yesterday I got into the ZT-T in Leeds city centre, turned the key and had nothing from the starter. Had to get the Mrs and teenage daughter out to give me and the car a push down the road and get us going.
I think my starter motor may possibly be on its way out as it had plenty enough juice in the battery to get us going but the motor didn’t even turn over.
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2022, 22:53   #13606
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireDave View Post
So not today and not me.
Yesterday I got into the ZT-T in Leeds city centre, turned the key and had nothing from the starter. Had to get the Mrs and teenage daughter out to give me and the car a push down the road and get us going.
I think my starter motor may possibly be on its way out as it had plenty enough juice in the battery to get us going but the motor didn’t even turn over.
Hi Dave
Follow the link below and it will help you get it sorted out.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=227316

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 08:35   #13607
YorkshireDave
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Thanks for that Arctic.
I was just planning on the usual purchase of a new starter as my local refurb place shut down a few years ago, but seeing that the parts are available and not too difficult a job it might be worth doing this myself and saving around £100
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 09:13   #13608
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireDave View Post
Thanks for that Arctic.
I was just planning on the usual purchase of a new starter as my local refurb place shut down a few years ago, but seeing that the parts are available and not too difficult a job it might be worth doing this myself and saving around £100
Hi Dave.
Yes well worth the time to sort out, maybe only take you about an hour overall first time, if you were closer i could have swapped it out for you as i have two already refurbished with said contacts and plungers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251755645921

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 16:35   #13609
Popcorn
Loves to post

55 cdti tourer slush box executive grill

N/S A pillar trim clip broke recently interfering with the sunvisor so because of the airbag and not wanting to disturb anything made a C clip to hold said trim to the roof lining holding it in place nicely
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2022, 17:43   #13610
Bazzateer

Put original plates back on the Rover and took some photos prior to listing it on eBay later in the week.