Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd February 2022, 21:39   #1
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Default Entertaining Grandson today.

I thought I would ask Charlie, my Grandson if he would like a day out now that half term is upon us. I knew he has a keen interest in trains so I suggested a trip to Bristol to spot some of the latest trains that GWR is operating. We travelled the 40 miles from Gloucester at the princely sum of £6 each and began our train spotting Odyssey at Temple meads station. After a morning dashing from platform to platform we repaired to Wetherspoons for lunch, then returned to the station for our train back to Gloucester. All went well until our train ground to a halt, stopped by a failed train ahead of us. After a wait of 45 minutes we were informed that our train would be reversed back to Bristol Parkway, were we would be embarked on a train to Swindon, then another train to Gloucester. The outcome was that for £6 each we covered a total mileage of 120 mies and my Grandson had his first ride on a brand new GWR Hitachi High speed train. We got home a couple of hours late but one very happy Grandson.
Westonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 08:54   #2
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

And one knackered Grandad?
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 11:10   #3
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Yes, a bit tired but pleased that the Grandson really enjoyed himself. We were even told by the train manager that we were entitled to a full refund on our fares, due to the delay. I declined to take advantage, it would have been churlish after such a good day out.
Old 24th February 2022, 11:31   #4
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonboy View Post
Yes, a bit tired but pleased that the Grandson really enjoyed himself. We were even told by the train manager that we were entitled to a full refund on our fares, due to the delay. I declined to take advantage, it would have been churlish after such a good day out.
Proof that it doesn't need mega-dosh to keep a kid happy. I sometimes took mine by train to London, with the rail and included all zones travelcard it made a cheap day out. The train, tube, buses and light railway followed by a picnic at Heathrow watching the planes kept them very happy.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 18:08   #5
Richard1973
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

I remember Temple Meads when Bath Road depot was still in use. Sad to see it the way it is nowadays.
Did you see any HSTs?
Richard1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 19:00   #6
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Hi Richard, plenty of Gwr HST's they have all been reduced to 5 car sets, but still in revenue earning service. I also remember Bath Road Diesel Depot, but even more worrying I can remember St Phillips Marsh, and Barrow Rd steam sheds.